Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:02 am

summertimechi wrote:Where is everyone living next year?

When should we start looking for apts if we wanna live off campus?

I think I'm gonna sign up for lawyers club without signing the lease just in case other housing falls through (I'm dreading the thought of sharing showers and eating cafeteria food), and then look for housing in the next month or two. Too soon? Too late? What to do? What are you guys doing?
If I end up at Michigan, I'm almost positive I'll be in the LC. Sharing a bathroom with 4-6 people really isn't the end of the world for me. The convenience factor of having food prepared and close by, being in the heart of campus, and living with a whole load of 1Ls outside of my section is really enticing to me. It is a bit more expensive, but I figure that for my first year it will definitely be worth it.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 am

If SO doesn't end up moving and I do, I'm totally doing the LC.

And, no, FlightfotheEarls, you cannot have that central room with the cool view! It's got my name written on it, I tell you! :evil:

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:09 am

i was thinking LC at first, but i had such horror-story experiences with shared bathrooms freshman yr of UG that i'm hesitant to try it again. HORROR. but the convenience really can't be beat. sigh. i suck at decision-making :? but if i don't find something perfect (my own space, my own bathroom, not too expensive, VERY close by) then i'll probly be joining you at LC as well...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:10 am

^Just think of all the late night parties we could have... :) It could be quite fun, you know.

Jeff Mangum

New

Post by Jeff Mangum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:16 am

I live in the NYC area and just drove to Ann Arbor two weekends ago, looked at about 8 places, signed a lease. No big deal. I was able to rent a parking space also. My (limited) experience was that there is a lot of available housing, a range of prices, but much of it not-so-good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:09 am

Alexandria wrote:Yay!! Welcome to Michigan!

Tomorrow is a meeting for orientation leaders :) ... it makes me excited to meet you guys this fall! I feel like I didn't get to meet enough of the current 1Ls due to OCI/callbacks/etc.
I keep forgetting about this meeting. Thanks for reminding me again.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 am

summertimechi wrote:Where is everyone living next year?

When should we start looking for apts if we wanna live off campus?

I think I'm gonna sign up for lawyers club without signing the lease just in case other housing falls through (I'm dreading the thought of sharing showers and eating cafeteria food), and then look for housing in the next month or two. Too soon? Too late? What to do? What are you guys doing?
ASAP. Most of the "good" off-campus is gone by November. You should really get started on this.

You might even be too late for the Lawyers Club. They are going to fill up quickly this year because one of the sections will not be in use because it'll be housing construction materials.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:20 am

Margarets wrote:Still on the edge of my seat. Snotrocket makes me want to choose Harvard...

...but I really just want to make 160 at a vault 100.
OMG, take the money and be thrilled with your good fortune!

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:21 am

Margarets wrote:Still on the edge of my seat. Snotrocket makes me want to choose Harvard . . . but I really just want to make 160 at a vault 100.
You should want more. There are better ways to come by $160k, and to be honest, if that's really all you want, then you should reconsider law school. I am pretty sure any working attorney at a V100 firm will concur on that. If you said that you want to work with the smartest people that you can be around, doing the most complex and challenging litigation or deals, and that you're willing to spend the better part of your life for the next five or ten years doing nothing but that, then that might be a reason that would justify what you have to do and give up and become to be a lawyer at that level of the profession. Or if you really want to become an AUSA, or work at the Manhattan DA's office, or become a Federal Public Defender, or work for the ACLU, then that would also be something that would make it worthwhile.

Either way, you have to have something much deeper in you than just wanting to scrape out an upper middle class income for, literally, an insane amount of pain and work. You need every edge that you can get, and you need to make the most of your potential, in order to wind up in the places that make all of this worthwhile. You really, seriously have to want more out of this, because it is just not worth it otherwise. Go hard or go home -- it's the only way that makes any sense. Like I said above, there may be a compelling reason to chose Michigan over Harvard. But money is not it. It never, ever is. By doing this at all you are giving up so much more than the price of admission no matter where you go, and you have to want more from it in order to make it worth that price.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 am

Jeff Mangum wrote:I live in the NYC area and just drove to Ann Arbor two weekends ago, looked at about 8 places, signed a lease. No big deal. I was able to rent a parking space also. My (limited) experience was that there is a lot of available housing, a range of prices, but much of it not-so-good.
TITCR. If you start in early summer (like now to May) then you can pretty much fill any set of housing needs in a well planned and busy two or three days here. DO NOT rent sight unseen, whatever you do. You cannot tell what places are like AT ALL from CL ads. Whatever you have to spend to just come for a few days, visit, and sign will be repaid many times over in avoided problems.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:49 pm

1. It is absolutely OK for your goal to be becoming a lawyer, making a market salary in a city you want to live in. People have different goals in life... for some, it is achieving absolutely as much as you can in a given profession at any cost, and for others it is being successful in a career while also achieving life balance. And there are a million other ways to characterize your goals.

2. Even if what you want IS to reach the absolute top of your profession, your path to that is not necessarily the same as anyone else's. Edited to take out the personal part. :) Suffice it to say that some people are more successful at Michigan than they would have been at Harvard, for various reasons, such as happiness and getting lost in the crowd.

3. Coming out of law school debt-free is its own kind of enabling force beyond school name. It may allow you to make life decisions you never would have been able to make otherwise.
Last edited by Alexandria on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Margarets

New

Post by Margarets » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Snotrocket,

I have more substantive reasons for wanting to enter law school.

The point I was trying to imply was that I have no ego to stroke or crazy ambitions. I don't care about working for a V5 as opposed to working for a V20. I don't want to go into academia, and I don't want to do public interest.

I have relatives working for V50 firms, doing litigation (which is what I want to do), and from what I've seen, the work is just as fulfilling and demanding. I understand that the clientele at, say, CSM might be better than the clientele at, say, Baker Botts, but regardless, the clientele of Baker Botts is still damn good!

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 pm

tl wrote: You might even be too late for the Lawyers Club. They are going to fill up quickly this year because one of the sections will not be in use because it'll be housing construction materials.
I emailed Diane (LC Director about this since it worried me, lol. Her response:

"How these rumors get legs is beyond me.
I have plenty of space.
Feel free to apply, I'll take care of you.
Send the app any way you wish.

Please feel free to dispel the rumor at any opportunity!"

So, for anyone who hasn't applied yet, no need to worry. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:35 pm

I've had my summer sublet since January and I'll be living in the Lawyers Club come fall. The housing wasn't too hard to find, and I'm actually excited about being in the dorms and having lots of other 1Ls around.

Anyone going to the NYC alumni event tonight?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Margarets wrote:Snotrocket,

I have more substantive reasons for wanting to enter law school.

The point I was trying to imply was that I have no ego to stroke or crazy ambitions. I don't care about working for a V5 as opposed to working for a V20. I don't want to go into academia, and I don't want to do public interest.

I have relatives working for V50 firms, doing litigation (which is what I want to do), and from what I've seen, the work is just as fulfilling and demanding. I understand that the clientele at, say, CSM might be better than the clientele at, say, Baker Botts, but regardless, the clientele of Baker Botts is still damn good!
Sounds to me like you have a pretty good idea of what fits you best.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Ok, here's a SUBSTANTIAL reason to choose Michigan over ANY other law school, money be damned:

NAKED. COED. SINGING.

I am not kidding. This is happening here next week, last day of class.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:26 pm

I agree with snot in part, disagree in part.

There is no doubt that there is something special about going to Harvard. However, although I don't go to Harvard I have heard mixed reviews about the experience there. Some good....some not so good. But that's obviously true of everywhere. Harvard is not exempt from this.

I think that Margarets should determine what her goals are and what she's looking for in a law school for herself. I also respectfully disagree that it's a no-brainer decision.

Full disclosure, before starting law school, if I had gotten into Harvard, there is no question that I would have gone. At this point, it's likely that I'll have to ability to transfer to a higher ranked school...and depending (if I can maintain or slightly improve my GPA) on this semester, Harvard is not out of the question. However, (and granted part of it is that I'm settled here) I will not be looking to transfer. A lot of it has to do with things that I have decided are important to me with my law school experience and the things that I appreciate about Michigan. ON THE OTHER HAND, there are people who transfer out of Michigan, so it's not a universal feeling. There is a lot of value to the name of Harvard and the things they have over there which I definitely respect very much.

My only point is that EVEN THOUGH IT'S HARVARD, there is room for people to decide what kind of experience they want. I think that Michigan is DIFFERENT enough that it isn't simply a watered down version of Harvard. There are some schools (including ones higher ranked that Michigan) for which I don't think that's true. But that is simply my opinion. I think Margarets should visit, or assuming she has, figure out the things that she thinks are important and make her decision.

My 2c.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:30 pm

snotrocket wrote:Ok, here's a SUBSTANTIAL reason to choose Michigan over ANY other law school, money be damned:

NAKED. COED. SINGING.

I am not kidding. This is happening here next week, last day of class.
This isn't a selling point for everyone. At which event is this occurring?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:43 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:This isn't a selling point for everyone. At which event is this occurring?
Yeah, I can see how the blind, deaf, and dumb might find this less than exciting. It's naked. It's COED. It's SINGING. How can this not appeal?

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:02 pm

snotrocket wrote:
ndnlawdc wrote:This isn't a selling point for everyone. At which event is this occurring?
Yeah, I can see how the blind, deaf, and dumb might find this less than exciting. It's naked. It's COED. It's SINGING. How can this not appeal?
The blind, deaf, dumb, or married. I guess I'm trying to figure out -- is this occurring at a mainstream, law school-sponsored event? One I would feel the need to attend? Or is this something else?

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm

no, whiners and spoilsports aren't invited. GTFO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 pm

At which event is this occurring?
It's the last Headnotes event of the year (law school student singing group). It's in one of the law school student commons areas, so it's "mainstream" in the sense that it's not off campus or behind a dumpster or something. I wouldn't call it "official" any more than anything else that goes on around here though.
Last edited by snotrocket on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Um, I totally missed this. They're going to be naked?

mikewilliams

New

Post by mikewilliams » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:26 pm

If any of you Summer Starters need a place to stay PM me. I have a HUGE bedroom I can sublet. Its like a block from the Law Quad. Also, the entire apartment (3 Bedrooms) is available if you have the people.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Alexandria wrote:Um, I totally missed this. They're going to be naked?
I'm just going by these big flyers they have up everywhere that say, "Naked. Coed. Singing. April 22." I suppose reasonable minds could differ on its interpretation, but the language seems clear on its face to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”