Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
just a girl

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by just a girl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:Wow, that’s thinking pretty far ahead.
Nah, I'm a summer starter, so I'm kind of getting a feel for what it's like to live on my own here and while I am really looking forward to living in the LC, I know it's not really practical for all three years.

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
just a girl wrote:The money allotted for rent+utilities+food on the student budget is $11,386, so about $700 more than the LC. I'm assuming that will cover the meals that the meal plan won't cover. I think it seems like an okay budget, not luxurious, but not pauper-level either. I'm sort of looking forward to living off-campus my 2L and 3L years though, just to save a little bit of money.
Wow, that’s thinking pretty far ahead. All I'm thinking about is how I'm going to enjoy the LC this year and how I'm totally going to prank the prickly RA with a bra bomb or something, and he'll be like "Chewbaccaaaa Defennnnnnseeeeeeeeeee!!!!!" Yeah, how’s that for an ice breaker and community building?

And before anyone corrects me, I know there aren’t any RAs at the dorm, that’s why as soon as I move in I’m just going to designate a person on my floor as “the RA” and address him/her as such. So like if I’m having some beers with buddies in my room and he/she comes by I'll make everyone hide their drinks.
i really hope that you don't designate my room the RA room.

am i correct in assuming that 1Ls, 2ls, and 3Ls are interspersed in the LC, or are we clumped based on year?

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:19 pm

Anyone know where can I get the best deal on Internet service? I really only need something around 70 kb/s (or as advertising as 700 kp/s).

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 pm

just a girl wrote:The money allotted for rent+utilities+food on the student budget is $11,386, so about $700 more than the LC. I'm assuming that will cover the meals that the meal plan won't cover. I think it seems like an okay budget, not luxurious, but not pauper-level either. I'm sort of looking forward to living off-campus my 2L and 3L years though, just to save a little bit of money.
Just a reminder that the budget starts to seem a lot less generous when you realize that it will more likely than not have to hold you over for twelve months instead of just nine. You will find it much easier to stretch it that far though if you realize that now rather than later and plan accordingly.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:27 pm

vyelps wrote:am i correct in assuming that 1Ls, 2ls, and 3Ls are interspersed in the LC, or are we clumped based on year?
Sorry to break this to you, but you were going to find out soon enough anyway. They put all the 1L rooms in the basement. It's fondly referred to as "The Dungeon." They don't show that part on the virtual tour.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 pm

snotrocket wrote:
vyelps wrote:am i correct in assuming that 1Ls, 2ls, and 3Ls are interspersed in the LC, or are we clumped based on year?
Sorry to break this to you, but you were going to find out soon enough anyway. They put all the 1L rooms in the basement. It's fondly referred to as "The Dungeon." They don't show that part on the virtual tour.
Phew, I knew I made the right choice when I picked my house with the front porch, sunroom, and gas fire place 1/2 mile from the quad. :D

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:43 am

snotrocket wrote:
Fantastic...

Chewbacca Defense

New

Post by Chewbacca Defense » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 pm

tralinds wrote:
Phew, I knew I made the right choice when I picked my house with the front porch, sunroom, and gas fire place 1/2 mile from the quad. :D
1/2 WHOLE MILES? That's so far, it's like an eternity of walking that last at least 10 minutes. The only reason I picked to live at the LC is to avoid that treacherous trek to campus where survival is uncertain and……..oh who am I kidding 0.5miles is really close, I’M SO FAT!!!!

chikalicious

New

Post by chikalicious » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:21 pm

Yeah right! Went to an alum reception this summer and the 1Ls are interspersed across all the floors...many have singles, one even had a living room-bedroom combo...so whatevs!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:22 pm

chikalicious wrote:Yeah right! Went to an alum reception this summer and the 1Ls are interspersed across all the floors...many have singles, one even had a living room-bedroom combo...so whatevs!
Not so. They're in the dungeon, located down the hall from the pool and the pinball arcade.

chikalicious

New

Post by chikalicious » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:32 pm

PKSebben wrote:
chikalicious wrote:Yeah right! Went to an alum reception this summer and the 1Ls are interspersed across all the floors...many have singles, one even had a living room-bedroom combo...so whatevs!
Not so. They're in the dungeon, located down the hall from the pool and the pinball arcade.
So you mean the LC admins have lured out with sweet little lies: quad facing rooms, 2nd floor singles, gentle breezes and cherry blossoms in December...uh oh!!! (runs around in panic)

So are they gonna make us fight it out in the dungeon to see who gets out after 1L? Is this THE fight club you guys have been dropping hints about?
(flexes muscles, puts on war paint, reads up "how to build a no-tools igloo" manual)

Chewbacca Defense

New

Post by Chewbacca Defense » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:53 pm

PKSebben wrote:
SWEET JESUS!!!!...... THEY HAVE PINBALL?!?!

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
SWEET JESUS!!!!...... THEY HAVE PINBALL?!?!
hmm, there is this place on campus:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pinball-petes-ann-arbor

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WIdan

New

Post by WIdan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Have any folks signed up for the Aetna health insurance and chosen the installment payment option? It says the first payment is due in late September, but then it asks for a credit card or electronic check. Do I have to pay when I sign up?

malcolminthemiddle

New

Post by malcolminthemiddle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:53 pm

first to finish watching all ten taking questions videos.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Hahaha...soo awkward!
Last edited by just a girl on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:57 pm

malcolminthemiddle wrote:first to finish watching all ten taking questions videos.
Interesting videos. The group of 3 certainly got more air time than the other group.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chikalicious

New

Post by chikalicious » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Gettysburg FTW! :)

PrudenceNeverLied

Bronze

Post by PrudenceNeverLied » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Found a place! 3 blocks from class. Nice, renovated. Off street parking, W/D etc. There are a couple of other rooms available. If you're still looking for a place, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the owner. :D

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:12 pm

So uh, yeah, I'm in Ann Arbor now. Good times. Took the redeye last night, chilling at a bed and breakfast place near the LS, and I'll be making numerous Ikea/Target/Best Buy trips this weekend and next week, since I get to move in on the 10th.

The law quad looks so much nicer than it did during the ASW, unless my memory sucks. I think all of the trees were pretty dead around that time, and now it looks amazing.

Anyway, message me if you're around and want to hang out or whatever. I'm not sure what all I'm doing - my mom made the trip out here to help with the move (and so I would have two additional suitcases to fill up with all my stuff) so I'll probably be pretty laid back this week. Next weekend/MAP/Orientation/Blink182concert will be more fun.

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:43 pm

USC2009 wrote:So uh, yeah, I'm in Ann Arbor now. Good times. Took the redeye last night, chilling at a bed and breakfast place near the LS, and I'll be making numerous Ikea/Target/Best Buy trips this weekend and next week, since I get to move in on the 10th.

The law quad looks so much nicer than it did during the ASW, unless my memory sucks. I think all of the trees were pretty dead around that time, and now it looks amazing.

Anyway, message me if you're around and want to hang out or whatever. I'm not sure what all I'm doing - my mom made the trip out here to help with the move (and so I would have two additional suitcases to fill up with all my stuff) so I'll probably be pretty laid back this week. Next weekend/MAP/Orientation/Blink182concert will be more fun.
We can grab a burrito sometime this week if you're interested in lunch? Can get this burrito club started early!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 pm

vidhartha wrote:
USC2009 wrote:So uh, yeah, I'm in Ann Arbor now. Good times. Took the redeye last night, chilling at a bed and breakfast place near the LS, and I'll be making numerous Ikea/Target/Best Buy trips this weekend and next week, since I get to move in on the 10th.

We can grab a burrito sometime this week if you're interested in lunch? Can get this burrito club started early!
This is relevant to my interests.

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:59 pm

PKSebben wrote:
vidhartha wrote:

This is relevant to my interests.
Yeah we definitely need to do this, maybe Monday for lunch? Dont have class until 3pm and I can spend some time procrastinating from my memo.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:00 am

vidhartha wrote:
Yeah we definitely need to do this, maybe Monday for lunch? Dont have class until 3pm and I can spend some time procrastinating from my memo.
Totally. This whole sentence hurt my soul though. You poor poor summer starters. You guys are crazy!

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:08 am

PKSebben wrote:
vidhartha wrote:
Totally. This whole sentence hurt my soul though. You poor poor summer starters. You guys are crazy!
Word.

And, I'll get back to you about Monday. Since I'm moving in that day it might be kind of hectic if I get furniture delivered and I have to put it all together, Ikea style.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”