Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:33 pm

itzjulz wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:I need to get mine stat. You do need to get them Lily. The last thing you want to do is be sitting at home next fall regretting not purchasing tickets when everyone else is heading to games. For the record, that was supposed to be peer pressure. Have you watched the flash drive video when they show the Big House and all the fans singing Hail to the Victors? Come on, let's be real. It's going to be SICK.
Get them! Consider it a birthday present to yourself! :) (happy b-day, btw)

Also, please don't try to sit near me at games wearing something like this:
--ImageRemoved--
I would never wear something like that. If they have Blue and Maize speedos though? You can bet your ass.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:37 pm

And thanks for the birthday wishes! I'm definitely going to be buying my tickets with birthday money. Talk about great timing!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:48 pm

itzjulz wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:I need to get mine stat. You do need to get them Lily. The last thing you want to do is be sitting at home next fall regretting not purchasing tickets when everyone else is heading to games. For the record, that was supposed to be peer pressure. Have you watched the flash drive video when they show the Big House and all the fans singing Hail to the Victors? Come on, let's be real. It's going to be SICK.
Get them! Consider it a birthday present to yourself! :) (happy b-day, btw)

Also, please don't try to sit near me at games wearing something like this:
--ImageRemoved--

they're not law students but I actually know those guys.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:32 pm

Anhimal wrote:When do we get our Michigan ID?
I got mine in an email.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 pm

So everyone here is going to join that LAW group, I take it? Does that mean we'll be able to pick our seats within a designated area within the group for each game?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:07 pm

pretty much. you get assigned seats but nobody really cares. People generally go with whoever they want and go to that section.

Most upper level folks make their own groups. This year we made a fairly massive 2L/3L group.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:19 pm

awesomepossum wrote:pretty much. you get assigned seats but nobody really cares. People generally go with whoever they want and go to that section.

Most upper level folks make their own groups. This year we made a fairly massive 2L/3L group.
Okay. I'll just sit with all my 1Ls then :)

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:12 pm

the uc hikes have me all worried. any idea when the regents will announce this year's tuition rates? i know they meet in june, but does anyone have a more specific idea of a date?

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:21 pm

summertimechi wrote:the uc hikes have me all worried. any idea when the regents will announce this year's tuition rates? i know they meet in june, but does anyone have a more specific idea of a date?
http://regents.umich.edu/meetings/meetdates/2009.html
Looks like June 18th.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:31 pm

I would be surprised if they raised it significantly. There was some talk of the legislature instituting a tuition FREEZE at state institutions. I don't think it actually happened, but if that's the attitude, I doubt they're going to raise tuition rates significantly above the usual rate of increase.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 pm

k, just a couple more q's for you ppl in the know.

1) are the season tix worth it? for someone who watches football every once in a blue moon and would rather contribute $200 to Barney's across the street? can't i just buy a single ticket for some of the big games if for some reason i feel like going?
2) when will we get class schedules?

Anhimal

New

Post by Anhimal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:24 pm

I'm not going to be able to move into my apartment until the weekend after Orientation, the day before class starts. I was just wondering if this is a terrible idea (not that I have a choice)... how much do we do during orientation and are there readings due first day of classes on August 31st?

Thanks in advance to the 2Ls that can help with answers :)

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 pm

summertimechi wrote:k, just a couple more q's for you ppl in the know.

1) are the season tix worth it? for someone who watches football every once in a blue moon and would rather contribute $200 to Barney's across the street? can't i just buy a single ticket for some of the big games if for some reason i feel like going?
I would buy the tickets. Individual tickets (if USC games are any indication) will usually start at around 35-40 for the less important games. Big games will probably start closer to 70, 80, 90, etc. It's a good way to get to know people, it WILL be the only thing going on most saturdays in the fall, and it's a blast.

Did you ever see that episode of Friends where Rachel missed out on a bunch of important conversations at work because she didn't join her coworkers in the smokers lounge? Yeah, same thing, with less lung cancer and more liver damage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 am

2) when will we get class schedules?
1) barney's? in fucking wasteland a2? try target. :(

2) i got my section assignment aug. 15 last year

joyce615

New

Post by joyce615 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:04 am

USC2009 wrote:

I would buy the tickets. Individual tickets (if USC games are any indication) will usually start at around 35-40 for the less important games. Big games will probably start closer to 70, 80, 90, etc. It's a good way to get to know people, it WILL be the only thing going on most saturdays in the fall, and it's a blast.

Did you ever see that episode of Friends where Rachel missed out on a bunch of important conversations at work because she didn't join her coworkers in the smokers lounge? Yeah, same thing, with less lung cancer and more liver damage.
tickets don't sell that high in my experience with my mich season tickets. you can only count on coming out even. the big games will go for 2x or more, but you'll lose money on the smaller games if you are able to sell at all.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:06 am

joyce615 wrote:
USC2009 wrote:

tickets don't sell that high in my experience with my mich season tickets. you can only count on coming out even. the big games will go for 2x or more, but you'll lose money on the smaller games if you are able to sell at all.
Hmm...

I'm not sure how many games law students go to. I bought my ticket, and will schedule my reading and homework around the games in the fall season if at all possible. I think football games are a blast, and like I said before, it's a good way to hang out with new friends.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:30 am

Merriweather wrote:1) barney's? in fucking wasteland a2? try target. :(

2) i got my section assignment aug. 15 last year
1) lol, i meant the barney's in chicago where i live now. they've got an exquisite window display this week that is super tempting, esp knowing i'll be a poor student again soon, unable to afford even a pair of socks in there :(

2) thanks!
joyce615 wrote: tickets don't sell that high in my experience with my mich season tickets. you can only count on coming out even. the big games will go for 2x or more, but you'll lose money on the smaller games if you are able to sell at all.
hmm, thx, that's pretty much what i figured. think i'll hold off. thanks, much appreciated!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nicoz

New

Post by nicoz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:48 am

It’s $210.
Everyone will be at the game and the bar afterward.
Football is the new Jesus in AA. If you want the mystical alumni cult to get ya’ll jobs, you need to start “liking” Wolverine football real soon …
Our once successful program (DAMN YOU RODRIGUEZ!) is the reason UofM has such an involved alumni.
Shalom

dlindqui

New

Post by dlindqui » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 am

What do students living in the lawyers club do for parking? It seems like the permit parking is geared towards commuters as you have to move your vehicle every 48 hours. I'm looking for an option where i could access my car about once a week, without paying the $100/mo. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone know if the A2 street ordinances would allow parking for a week on a street?

I just bought my football tickets. So excited!

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:26 am

dlindqui wrote:What do students living in the lawyers club do for parking? It seems like the permit parking is geared towards commuters as you have to move your vehicle every 48 hours. I'm looking for an option where i could access my car about once a week, without paying the $100/mo. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone know if the A2 street ordinances would allow parking for a week on a street?
Don't pay for a parking permit. Just park in the residential area behind the law school. You may have a 5-10 minute walk somtimes, but it's worth not paying $100/mo. My friend who lived in the LC last year did this and she never had a problem finding a parking space.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 am

There's also a long-term parking option for LC residents, isn't there?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 am

joyce615 wrote:
USC2009 wrote:

A lot of how much money you can get depends on how well the team is doing. Right now, I wouldn't count on anything other than breaking even. 1L year I paid for the whole season by selling the Ohio State tickets. But 2L year it was a struggle to sell the ones I didn't want to go to, and I ended up losing a little money.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:36 am

Oh, and you just buy individual tickets from other law students, via lawopen.

And in case no one answered the thing about the schedules, you get them shortly before orientation. We got ours the week before (toward the end of MAP... it was kind of fun actually... we had just finished our oral arguments and were all gathered in the hall, looking it up online to figure out who we were in the same section with). Not sure about this past year's class.

dmreust

New

Post by dmreust » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:00 am

I've been happy to read some more information about the season tickets. I'm still up in the air but will probably end up just going for it.

I actually have an unrelated question (sorry). I'm looking at what laptop I should get for school and was wondering if current students could chime in on something for me. During 1L year did you ever need a disk drive during class on your laptop? I'm looking at getting a computer that would be a good fit for me, but doesn't have one included. I worry that there may be times where I would have to have one in class. Otherwise, I'll just get a USB drive and load up anything I must have in the Lawyer's Club.

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:19 am

So let me clear up some confusion here, you can live in the Lawyer's Club and just park your car in a residential area for free?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”