Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
tl

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by tl » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:52 am

hdg315 wrote:I know that at Mich admitted students weekend, all the profs stressed that we shouldn't be reading any supplements or law-related things to prepare for the fall. Still, I see that a bunch of people doing it, and I wanted to know if I will be completely screwed if I go into the fall blind. Current students- did any of you not touch any of this kind of reading before the semester started? Was it a disadvantage?
IT REALLY DOES NOT MATTER either way IMO. It's probably not worth the time, because (1) it's probably going to bore you to death. You won't last long trying to read a supplement. (2) The material is just not that complicated. There will be plenty of time for you to learn it through the semester.

I don't think you will be at any disadvantage. For the millionth time, people don't get good grades because they KNOW the material that much better than everyone else. People get good grades because they are good at test-taking, and that's it.

Nietzsche

New

Post by Nietzsche » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:10 pm

I find reading supplements very helpful before doing the reading for class. Like, read the appropriate chapter in E&E before you do the reading and before class. It will help you hone in on exactly whats important. I read a torts E&E over the summer. Wasn't that helpful as I didn't remember it in enough detail to apply it to the cases at hand. Read "getting to maybe". That is the best book you can read now.

lotus

New

Post by lotus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:34 pm

I think when to use supplements really depends on the person. I found them most useful as a review tool. I started reading them about half-way through the semester and worked through them at a fairly moderate pace. It helped me remember details from earlier topics in the semester and reminded me of nuances from class that my notes didn't cover in full detail. Probably most important-- reading them later helped me see how different topics related together. The supplements usually put things together and in different ways than my professors. If I already knew what topic A and C were, it was easier to see how they related together in the supplement material than if I was trying to learn them for the first time by reading the supplement.

If you do decided to read before hand, I wouldn't read the whole thing. You can find your professor's syllabus on c-tools a few weeks before classes start and see the first few topics you'll cover. If you want to do something just to feel more confident for the first day, read a few chapters before hand and see if it helps you with class the first few weeks.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Just a reminder that the Regents meet tomorrow to determine this year's tuition rates. There was a call from Granholm earlier in the year for a tuition freeze, but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

http://www.regents.umich.edu/meetings/

It looks like the meetings are public, if anyone in Ann Arbor feels like attending to get the scoop :D

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 pm

itzjulz wrote:Just a reminder that the Regents meet tomorrow to determine this year's tuition rates. There was a call from Granholm earlier in the year for a tuition freeze, but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

It looks like the meetings are public, if anyone in Ann Arbor feels like attending to get the scoop :D
...wonder when they'll post the actual final number for tuition?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:35 pm

summertimechi wrote:
itzjulz wrote:Just a reminder that the Regents meet tomorrow to determine this year's tuition rates. There was a call from Granholm earlier in the year for a tuition freeze, but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

...wonder when they'll post the actual final number for tuition?
I'm scared. Adding up all of these numbers is getting to be pretty painful :(

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:39 pm

hdg315 wrote:I know that at Mich admitted students weekend, all the profs stressed that we shouldn't be reading any supplements or law-related things to prepare for the fall. Still, I see that a bunch of people doing it, and I wanted to know if I will be completely screwed if I go into the fall blind. Current students- did any of you not touch any of this kind of reading before the semester started? Was it a disadvantage?

I read getting to maybe and that was it. I did fine.

joyce615

New

Post by joyce615 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Alexandria wrote:
just a girl wrote:
joyce615 wrote: if you're lucky and have JJ for contracts, he has model answers on the library site.
So looking forward to JJ White at 8am in the fall semester. Except for the 8 am thing, of course.
If you never have JJ White at 8 a.m., you never have the true 1L experience.
TITCR

joyce615

New

Post by joyce615 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:41 pm

awesomepossum wrote:

I read getting to maybe and that was it. I did fine.
possum, how's your summer job going?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:45 pm

summer job is great (MI State Appellate Defenders Office). my boss occasionally tells me how I don't have to work so hard....which I'm reaaaaaally not....so that's a good thing. I really like the cases I'm working on and I got to visit a couple clients in prison the other day. Pretty great overall.

I'm starting to figure out OCI stuff right now. Doing research on firms is a paaaaiiin.

Where are you working again Joyce?

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:16 pm

AP, I keep forgetting you're here! We should grab a drink. I'm studying for the bar at the bar as we speak. (Speaking of which, I take back any earlier statements about its being "not that bad." It's truly, madly, deeply heinous).

For you and all other 2Ls, don't forget that the school has a Vault subscription which you can access through the library website. When I was researching firms, I printed out a profile for every single NY firm I was even considering bidding on and used that as my starting point. I put in many many hours, but it paid off: I ended up at a really unique firm that was a great fit for me and which, interestingly enough, is still doing just fine financially. (Of course, I decided not to go back, but that's because I landed my dream job, which is most decidedly not in a firm. They're still the best possible firm fit for me).

Lyceum>Academy

New

Post by Lyceum>Academy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:31 pm

scarletmuse wrote:AP, I keep forgetting you're here! We should grab a drink. I'm studying for the bar at the bar as we speak. (Speaking of which, I take back any earlier statements about its being "not that bad." It's truly, madly, deeply heinous).

For you and all other 2Ls, don't forget that the school has a Vault subscription which you can access through the library website. When I was researching firms, I printed out a profile for every single NY firm I was even considering bidding on and used that as my starting point. I put in many many hours, but it paid off: I ended up at a really unique firm that was a great fit for me and which, interestingly enough, is still doing just fine financially. (Of course, I decided not to go back, but that's because I landed my dream job, which is most decidedly not in a firm. They're still the best possible firm fit for me).
What is your non-firm dream job?

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:44 pm

and which NYC firm are you speaking of?

and we have a vault subscription?!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:20 pm

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases ... hp?id=7202

Looks like today's Regent's meeting is over. Doubtful that any of that financial aid that they speak of in this article will apply to us.. who knows? If you click on the fee schedule link, there's an excel doc that opens up. It looks like tuition will be:

In state: $43,200
Out of state: $46,200

:shock:

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:26 pm

itzjulz wrote:http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases ... hp?id=7202

Looks like today's Regent's meeting is over. Doubtful that any of that financial aid that they speak of in this article will apply to us.. who knows? If you click on the fee schedule link, there's an excel doc that opens up. It looks like tuition will be:

$1,700 increase for both? I thought it would be much worse than that. I'm actually a bit relieved.

Edit: Looks like we got off easy, actually. The % change for us is lower than all the other programs.

Vail67

New

Post by Vail67 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:41 pm

tralinds wrote:
itzjulz wrote:http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases ... hp?id=7202

$1,700 increase for both? I thought it would be much worse than that. I'm actually a bit relieved.

Edit: Looks like we got off easy, actually. The % change for us is lower than all the other programs.
Wah. Not even that big of an increase, but I just have the number $41,500 so ingrained in my head that any increase is just blehhhh

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Non-firm dream job is a federal gov't. Honors Program with an executive agency. PM for specifics and/or the firm name (I've mostly given up on any shred of anonymity here, but I shouldn't press my luck :) ).

For the Vault access, log in, go to the library website, go to electronic resources, click on "Vault." There's a ton of information on there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

joyce615

New

Post by joyce615 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:20 am

awesomepossum wrote:summer job is great (MI State Appellate Defenders Office). my boss occasionally tells me how I don't have to work so hard....which I'm reaaaaaally not....so that's a good thing. I really like the cases I'm working on and I got to visit a couple clients in prison the other day. Pretty great overall.

I'm starting to figure out OCI stuff right now. Doing research on firms is a paaaaiiin.

Where are you working again Joyce?
trips to prison, wow that's a pretty neat experience.

you know about that july 1 deadline for submitting to OCS a list of employers we plan to bid on? i learned about it just today..
Last edited by joyce615 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:34 am

joyce615 wrote: you know about that july 1 deadline for submitting to OCS a list of employers we plan to bid on? i learned about it just today..
Huh? What are you talking about?

ETA: OK, I just read about this deadline in one of their e-mails. Why do we need to do this? Are they going to comment on it and make us change it or something? This seems like a waste of everybody's time. Especially when that deadline is in 2 weeks.

joyce615

New

Post by joyce615 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:41 am

tl wrote:
joyce615 wrote: you know about that july 1 deadline for submitting to OCS a list of employers we plan to bid on? i learned about it just today..

ETA: OK, I just read about this deadline in one of their e-mails. Why do we need to do this? Are they going to comment on it and make us change it or something? This seems like a waste of everybody's time. Especially when that deadline is in 2 weeks.
agreed. they don't explain why we need to do this and if it's mandatory. my only guess is that they want to gauge how many interview slots to arrange for each firm before bidding period begins.

MLaw11

New

Post by MLaw11 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:41 am

tl wrote:

wtf.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:58 am

its only if you want them to review it.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:20 am

joyce615 wrote:trips to prison, wow that's a pretty neat experience.
Join Street Law. We go all the time.

dmreust

New

Post by dmreust » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:11 pm

Ok, I feel like I should be able to figure this out but just went through the last five pages of threads and didn't find anything. I finally decided I should buy season football tickets. Anyway, what group should I join? How do I join it? I thought someone mentioned there was a Law School group a while back but can't find anything about it now.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:25 pm

There is a law school group. You should have received an email from Dean Z about it at the beginning of the month or so. Maybe late May. Anyways, the info is:

Group: LAW
Pword: LAW

Give that a shot and buy those tickets! Today is the last day, isn't it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”