Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
scarletmuse

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by scarletmuse » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:26 am

I can only speak for JLR (and, theoretically, this year's Board could be doing things differently). Traditionally, JLR accepts the number of people they plan to have on the junior staff, waitlists around the same number or fewer, and rejects the remainder. JLR doesn't generally lose people to other secondaries, but does lose a chunk to LR, so there's always waitlist movement. Odds of getting off the waitlist depend on where you are on the waitlist – it's strictly numerical. It also isn't something you can inquire about: even the EIC doesn't know who's been accepted, waitlisted, etc. It all goes according to your application number, and the Pub Center does the actual notifying.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:31 am

scarletmuse wrote:Odds of getting off the waitlist depend on where you are on the waitlist – it's strictly numerical.
So, probably a dumb question, but you mean the waitlist is ordered by how they graded the applications, and not just by random order or lottery, right?

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:29 pm

snotrocket wrote:
scarletmuse wrote:Odds of getting off the waitlist depend on where you are on the waitlist – it's strictly numerical.
So, probably a dumb question, but you mean the waitlist is ordered by how they graded the applications, and not just by random order or lottery, right?
Exactly. It's not like an admissions waitlist where candidates are purportedly unranked.

annarborbound

New

Post by annarborbound » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:39 am

My friend told me that the WL letter for MJLR had a pretty glaring error, which at least for me raises questions about the skills/attentiveness of the people evaluating the application. On the one hand, seriously? These people judged my work as poor but can't even get their own act together? And on the other hand: HA. HAHAHAHA.

Actually, it's really not funny. But it makes me feel moderately more justified in my position that this whole thing is ridiculous.

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:43 am

What do we have to give to the health department at Michigan before we can register for classes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:29 am

Sorry to throw another mundane question into the mix, but:

I'm really baffled by the Aetna health insurance terms, particularly with regard to the meaning of "continuously insured". Did anyone run into this sort of issue previously?

My Japanese insurance is going to end at the end of July, and the plan outlined here:

--LinkRemoved--

seems to only kick in on August 24th. Would I then have a "break" in coverage that would deny me coverage for pre-existing conditions? Or would that only be if I developed a new condition in early August during that gap? I could understand that latter possibility (i.e., that they won't cover stuff that arises before you buy their plan) but I'm baffled as to why all conditions become "pre-existing" if you have a lapse in coverage, even if you were insured when they arose.

Perhaps I've just gotten slow after being out of college for a couple years, but I can't help but feel that the descriptions on that page seem to do several loop-de-loops mid-sentence and are not exactly the simplest to understand.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:31 am

annarborbound wrote:
snotrocket wrote:
joyce615 wrote:Apparently they also send out a lawopen email with names of those who made LR to congratulate them, which also serves as your notice of rejection. LOL to that one if that's true.
Classy. Especially if this is the first of the three things that they do.
Agreed. My guess is they send people letters of rejection before they write the lawopen email, but given that the Internet is faster than the USPS, most people find out through their email...

That's the other part of this that stinks: not just having employers judge you, but feeling like your peers are, too.

I think to feel like you're judged by whether or not you made law review would require having far higher expectations (or friends with far higher expectations) than I do. If I don't make law review (which is quite honestly the likely outcome), I don't care who knows. It's freaking law review. I won't feel like a failure if I don't make it. I'm just happy I made a journal I'm excited about.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:17 am

Lawlcat wrote:seems to only kick in on August 24th. Would I then have a "break" in coverage that would deny me coverage for pre-existing conditions? Or would that only be if I developed a new condition in early August during that gap? I could understand that latter possibility (i.e., that they won't cover stuff that arises before you buy their plan) but I'm baffled as to why all conditions become "pre-existing" if you have a lapse in coverage, even if you were insured when they arose.
I believe this is the HIPPA "63-day" gap rule. It is messed up, and no, it doesn't make any sense. If you have a gap of 63 days or more between one group coverage plan ending and the next one starting, then the new one is allowed to exclude anything that began before their plan started as pre-existing. But if the gap is less than 63 days, then they have to take over and cover everything that occurs, whether pre-existing or not. Not all insurance counts as "insured" also, if you're trying to fill the gap. Big group health plans are typically "must-issue" coverage, meaning if you're in the group defined by the plan (UM students, in the case of the Aetna plan) then they have to take you, no matter what. But most personal plans that you buy on your own can be declined or non-renewed at the insurer's whim. I think that only group plans "count" as continuous coverage, so even if you are "covered" by a short-term plan during the gap, it still might not count as "coverage" for purposes of the pre-existing conditions rule. If you're planning to get any short-term coverage, pay attention to any terms or warnings that mention whether it counts as filling the gap or not. You may also be entitled to extend your old plan for a limited period, in order to fill this gap. You should probably call your old insurer or Aetna and ask what to do if you think the gap will be a problem.

dmreust

New

Post by dmreust » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:47 am

I have another, off-topic, question. What is the total amount of tuition and fees I should use when submitting my GradPLUS request form? I know a $1,700 tuition increase was just approved, but has that been included in the listed tuition and fees on the law school's website?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:28 pm

dmreust wrote:I have another, off-topic, question. What is the total amount of tuition and fees I should use when submitting my GradPLUS request form? I know a $1,700 tuition increase was just approved, but has that been included in the listed tuition and fees on the law school's website?
Haha, that isn't off topic. This thread has been hijacked by current MichLaw students--let's take it back!

I also want to know the answer to this question. Need to get those forms in!

Edit: they did update the website with the new tuition/fees.
--LinkRemoved--

malcolminthemiddle

New

Post by malcolminthemiddle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:22 pm

thefinalcut wrote:
Anhimal wrote:WARNING WARNING! DO NOT ENROLL IN MONTHLY PAYMENT PLAN.

I enrolled and payed the $55.00 application fee which is fine and dandy but then I got in touch with financial aid and they told me if we enroll in the monthly payment plan the university will not release the money for our living expenses.

Something about if we don't pay our tuition in full because of the montly payment plan, the school cannot release our loans.

I had to cancel but I lost my $55... you live, you learn.
I will be using my savings for expenses of my first year. I was thinking this payment plan might save me couple of hundred buck in interest rate during my first year. But it looks like it might be more pain than it is worth, particularly given that the interest rates are so bad right now.
I called them up to ask about this. The answer I got was that loan/scholarships are automatically credited to your account at the beginning of the term with the payment plan being useful for only payments you're making personally. Some confusion here?

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:55 pm

So, has anyone made a list of things we need to do before starting in the fall?

Off the top of my head, I can only really think of a few things:
-Accept/decline GradPlus, Stafford, etc loans, as well as direct deposit (if you want it)
-Fill out housing lease
-Fill out medical forms for the health center
-Make sure our loans are deferred over the summer (I made one payment because Nelnet was being slow as hell with my academic forbearance thing)

Anything else we need to do?

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:23 pm

USC2009 wrote:Make sure our loans are deferred over the summer (I made one payment because Nelnet was being slow as hell with my academic forbearance thing)
At least in my experience, you can't have your loans deferred until the day orientation ends and classes start. Michigan's registrar's office won't sign and send in the certification forms for in-school deferment until then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:41 pm

USC2009 wrote: -Fill out medical forms for the health center

What are these forms? I haven't heard anything about this.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:06 pm

just a girl wrote:
USC2009 wrote:Make sure our loans are deferred over the summer (I made one payment because Nelnet was being slow as hell with my academic forbearance thing)
At least in my experience, you can't have your loans deferred until the day orientation ends and classes start. Michigan's registrar's office won't sign and send in the certification forms for in-school deferment until then.
Well, I did an academic forbearance that works like an "academic bridge" between undergraduate graduation and the start of 1L.
tralinds wrote:

I received a form that I gave to my doctor. It was just a list of immunizations, illnesses, etc.

For the 1/2/3Ls - how much do you think you needed for EVERYTHING (tuition, rent, expenses) for your 1L year plus your 1L summer? I know the 8 month estimate on the U of M budget PDF says 63,700, but I'm trying to calculate the summer as well. My parents and I figured somewhere around 68,000. 46,200 for tuition. 8,000-ish for rent. 5,000 for food. The rest was divided up between books, supplies, medical expenses, and personal stuff (totaling around 6,000). Then some extra $ for anything else.

Thoughts?

Anhimal

New

Post by Anhimal » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 pm

tralinds wrote:

Hey, where can we obtain these medical forms?

WIdan

New

Post by WIdan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 am

Anhimal wrote:
tralinds wrote:

I think you should have gotten an email from University Health Services. Here's the link to the immunizations form: http://www.uhs.umich.edu/immunization.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chewbacca Defense

New

Post by Chewbacca Defense » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:39 pm

Yeah, it should have been sent to your new Michigan email and was just asking for an immunization record, so if you're missing any I guess add get shots to the list of things to do. Luckily for me I studied abroad my senior year and got so many shots that I’m immunized for every from typhoid fever to love sickness (sort of, I need a co-prescription of heavy liquor to avoid all symptoms... like crying)

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:48 pm

WIdan wrote:
Anhimal wrote:
tralinds wrote:

I think you should have gotten an email from University Health Services. Here's the link to the immunizations form: http://www.uhs.umich.edu/immunization.pdf
So, according to page 2 of the form, we aren't actually required to fill this out, right? Just want to make sure.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:37 pm

I didn't fill out that form or get any shots. It's completely optional.

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:45 pm

tl wrote:I didn't fill out that form or get any shots. It's completely optional.
this

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dmreust

New

Post by dmreust » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:00 pm

tl wrote:I didn't fill out that form or get any shots. It's completely optional.
Did you (or anyone else that didn't complete those forms) live in the Lawyer's Club?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:58 pm

TCR. It says right on the form not to bother calling or emailing to ask whether they got it, because they can't tell you -- they get like 20,000 of them at the start of every year. I'm convinced there's a warehouse full of these things somewhere in East Ypsi that nobody has ever even looked at. It also says you're exempt if over a certain age, and I think they recommend certain shots only for people living in on-campus housing.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:28 pm

snotrocket wrote:certain shots only for people living in on-campus housing.
Like Gardasil?
:?

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:23 pm

Bump to this:
USC2009 wrote: For the 1/2/3Ls - how much do you think you needed for EVERYTHING (tuition, rent, expenses) for your 1L year plus your 1L summer? I know the 8 month estimate on the U of M budget PDF says 63,700, but I'm trying to calculate the summer as well. My parents and I figured somewhere around 68,000. 46,200 for tuition. 8,000-ish for rent. 5,000 for food. The rest was divided up between books, supplies, medical expenses, and personal stuff (totaling around 6,000). Then some extra $ for anything else.

Thoughts?
:mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”