Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Anhimal

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Anhimal » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:36 pm

Oops... um April Fool's!!! :oops:

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Yay! So glad you guys enjoyed your visit!

Margarets

New

Post by Margarets » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:29 pm

It was great seeing you all! I deposited.

Now all I need to do is fill put my lawyers club thing. I hope there are spots left.

moonie

New

Post by moonie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:06 am

I enjoyed the ASW, and I will be paying the deposit. Nice meeting you all. :)

I tried to attend most of the panels / classes but missed the alumni panel in the end. Could somebody just talk about it a little bit if you don't mind? Thanks!

EdmundDantes

New

Post by EdmundDantes » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:38 pm

I missed the faculty panel -- can someone talk about it?
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:24 pm

I thought the admit weekend was great. I am not submitting my deposit yet until I figure out financial aid stuff. But it was everything I expected.

moonie

New

Post by moonie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:05 pm

EdmundDantes wrote:I missed the faculty panel -- can someone talk about it?
Thanks!

The faculty members were extremely intelligent and passionate. Yes, quite a bit of academic background / ethnical diversity too. There was some good introduction on the clinics / international law / multi-disciplinary programs, though I can't remember the details now. The main idea is that Umich is a large research university, and there are a lot of things going on beyond the law quad, in connection with other departments / professors.

Hope that helps.

riccardo426

New

Post by riccardo426 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Anyone going to the NYC reception on April 14th? I couldn't go to ASW, so I'm looking forward to it very much.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:45 pm

I definitely am. I'm looking forward to it too; I'm hoping to meet people from this class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm sad to be missing the one in DC on April 15.

I just can't get over how much I loved Michigan. If HLS offers me a substantial scholarship (CGS), then I'll have a hard time picking Michigan. If not, I'm so there.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm hoping to. My decision just got much more complicated. I missed the ASW and would love to meet some other admits.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Well definitely let me know if you do make it to the one in NYC.

riccardo426

New

Post by riccardo426 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:16 am

Yay! I got a spot in the lawyer's club. I sent in my stuff last week to beat the rush that will probably occur this week after ASW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:33 am

Congrats! I'll be living in the lawyers club this year too. I hope the rooms are as nice as they seem on the virtual tour.

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:43 am

For those considering living in the Lawyers Club: Just FYI, my extensive, highly unscientific research indicates that if you want a decent room, you're better off applying a bit later. As far as anyone can tell, the room placement process is completely bass-ackwards. I submitted my application in March, as did my roommate; we both indicated a shared double as our least-preferred option, yet here we are. Also, our room is kind of shitty. There are some really nice rooms here, but literally every single 1L I have talked to who scored one of the nicer rooms, and most of those I've talked to who got singles, sent in their applications in the summer. Almost everyone I've talked to who sent in their application earlier got stuck with one of the crappy places. Apparently it has something to do with 2 and 3Ls backing out over the summer, and 1Ls getting their rooms. Because you sign a lease so soon after your application is accepted, once you've done so, you're locked into whichever room they assigned you, and if a nicer one or a single opens up later, it goes to a later applicant. Needless to say, this is completely fucking bullshit, but I thought people might want to know. There really is a significant difference in quality among the rooms here, in terms of area, closet space, ceiling heights, window size, etc., and some of the columns also have much newer, much nicer looking bathroom fixtures than others, so it's in your best interest to try to score one of the good ones.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks for the advice! that really sucks...I put my application in forever ago. As far as a shared double, does that mean you have to share the bedroom, or you both have singles and a common living area?

seychelles

New

Post by seychelles » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:56 am

Wow that is disappointing. I sent my application in February!
just a girl wrote:Thanks for the advice! that really sucks...I put my application in forever ago. As far as a shared double, does that mean you have to share the bedroom, or you both have singles and a common living area?
I think the shared double is two bedrooms with a common living area, that is what I figured from the video. They look a lot roomier!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 am

just a girl wrote:Thanks for the advice! that really sucks...I put my application in forever ago. As far as a shared double, does that mean you have to share the bedroom, or you both have singles and a common living area?
Pretty sure you get your own (small) bedroom and a common area, but I could be wrong.

nicoz

New

Post by nicoz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 pm

In last week! I grew up in southeast MI and spent a ton of time in AA if anyone has any questions about the surrounding area or anything else. Hope to get to know ya'll here soon and congrats!!!!!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:30 pm

itzjulz wrote:
Pretty sure you get your own (small) bedroom and a common area, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, that's right. The bedrooms are a lot smaller than the single rooms, but you get a decent sized living room that you share with one other person.

inthewall

New

Post by inthewall » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Ulfrekr wrote:For those considering living in the Lawyers Club: Just FYI, my extensive, highly unscientific research indicates that if you want a decent room, you're better off applying a bit later. As far as anyone can tell, the room placement process is completely bass-ackwards. I submitted my application in March, as did my roommate; we both indicated a shared double as our least-preferred option, yet here we are. Also, our room is kind of shitty. There are some really nice rooms here, but literally every single 1L I have talked to who scored one of the nicer rooms, and most of those I've talked to who got singles, sent in their applications in the summer. Almost everyone I've talked to who sent in their application earlier got stuck with one of the crappy places. Apparently it has something to do with 2 and 3Ls backing out over the summer, and 1Ls getting their rooms. Because you sign a lease so soon after your application is accepted, once you've done so, you're locked into whichever room they assigned you, and if a nicer one or a single opens up later, it goes to a later applicant. Needless to say, this is completely fucking bullshit, but I thought people might want to know. There really is a significant difference in quality among the rooms here, in terms of area, closet space, ceiling heights, window size, etc., and some of the columns also have much newer, much nicer looking bathroom fixtures than others, so it's in your best interest to try to score one of the good ones.
awwww, i wish i had known this! I sent in the app as soon as i got the app form last month.
I checked out the double during the preview weekend, and it was pretty shitty. The bedroom is intolerably small.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MLaw11

New

Post by MLaw11 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:36 pm

FWIW, I sent in my form right away last year and I wound up with a 'desirable' room with mostly 2Ls for neighbors. So I can vouch for the fact that at least not everyone who sends it in early gets the shaft.

Margarets

New

Post by Margarets » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:13 am

Ulfrekr wrote:For those considering living in the Lawyers Club: Just FYI, my extensive, highly unscientific research indicates that if you want a decent room, you're better off applying a bit later. As far as anyone can tell, the room placement process is completely bass-ackwards. I submitted my application in March, as did my roommate; we both indicated a shared double as our least-preferred option, yet here we are. Also, our room is kind of shitty. There are some really nice rooms here, but literally every single 1L I have talked to who scored one of the nicer rooms, and most of those I've talked to who got singles, sent in their applications in the summer. Almost everyone I've talked to who sent in their application earlier got stuck with one of the crappy places. Apparently it has something to do with 2 and 3Ls backing out over the summer, and 1Ls getting their rooms. Because you sign a lease so soon after your application is accepted, once you've done so, you're locked into whichever room they assigned you, and if a nicer one or a single opens up later, it goes to a later applicant. Needless to say, this is completely fucking bullshit, but I thought people might want to know. There really is a significant difference in quality among the rooms here, in terms of area, closet space, ceiling heights, window size, etc., and some of the columns also have much newer, much nicer looking bathroom fixtures than others, so it's in your best interest to try to score one of the good ones.
I met someone at ASW who signed up for the LC right after she was admitted in November, and she got a pretty kickass single.

seychelles

New

Post by seychelles » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:14 am

Have any of the current Mich students participated in MAP? I remember awesomepossum saying earlier he had, anyone else? I'm confused about what the program involves, the email sent out didn't really detail much.

MLaw11

New

Post by MLaw11 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:08 pm

seychelles wrote:Have any of the current Mich students participated in MAP? I remember awesomepossum saying earlier he had, anyone else? I'm confused about what the program involves, the email sent out didn't really detail much.
I didn't, but the general consensus (from what I heard) was that the program and activities were kinda stupid, but the chance to meet other students (especially those not in your section) was fantastic. I've heard people recommend it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”