Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Objection

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Objection » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:34 am

--LinkRemoved--

This clinic sounds absolutely fantastic.

I haven't seen any clinic that piques my interest anywhere near as much as that one does.

Anyone know any more about it?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:40 am

students litigate under the supervision of professors cases on appeal where the criminal claims innocence. This is a non-DNA clinic. So, students write briefs, meet with clients, argue motions in court. BAD ASS STUFF.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:03 am

PKSebben wrote:students litigate under the supervision of professors cases on appeal where the criminal claims innocence. This is a non-DNA clinic. So, students write briefs, meet with clients, argue motions in court. BAD ASS STUFF.
It sounds seriously badass, and it is the single biggest academic selling point at Michigan for me.

How selective is it?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:06 pm

I'll get some more info on selectivity. Also, all the clinics let you actually work as an attorney. A friend recently wrote a brief for the 6th Cir. That's pretty cool. I think I'm going to do the juvenile justice clinic next fall. After all these pie in the sky theory classes I'm taking this semester, I look forward to getting my hands dirty and talking to clients.

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Go in on Saturday. I am seriously considering it, but I was offered a hefty scholarship at Emory, Im torn. I was complete in late November and my numbers are 169/3.95...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Wait until you got a financial aid offer from Michigan. You should see some money.

I'm starting to think that taking the money and running might be the better advice ITE though. We're all going to be unemployed no matter what school you go to.

Lyceum>Academy

New

Post by Lyceum>Academy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:50 pm

On my acceptance letter the dean indicated that she liked my personal statement--I'm curious if this is a generic response ...

Anyone else get that same comment or something else?

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:40 pm

She probably did like it, but I wouldn't read too much into it. She writes something on everyone's acceptance letter. That might have been the thing that stood out the most to her.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Dean Z is awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:36 pm

Has Michigan started sending out actual aid letters yet (beyond just the scholarship letter)? I think I remember reading on its website that they would begin reviewing finaid stuff in Feb., but wasn't sure what the timeline for actually getting the full offer was.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 am

I'm coming up to visit on Monday. Does anyone have any suggestions for my visit? I'll be getting in Sunday night and I'm sitting in on two classes and taking the tour on Monday. I posted this on another thread but thought it may get some better responses on here.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:27 am

So I was just browsing through pics of the law quad again...

I just can't get over how stunningly beautiful it is.

The atmosphere of that place is palpable even in pictures.

I want to go sit outside late one night during a snowstorm. Set against the beautiful architecture, the lighting... It just seems like the type of thing that would make everything a little bit better.

And as much as I try to tell myself to look beyond these things and at the bigger picture...it's easier said than done.

Right now, I like Michigan the most out of my options.

I just don't know how much that's worth.

:?

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:48 am

a.williams wrote:I'm coming up to visit on Monday. Does anyone have any suggestions for my visit? I'll be getting in Sunday night and I'm sitting in on two classes and taking the tour on Monday. I posted this on another thread but thought it may get some better responses on here.
Your tour group is pretty big. You have three girls on the tour with you. I have no clue who your tour guide is. I've never heard of her. Maybe you could walk around Ann Arbor with some of them. I would offer you the opportunity to come and eat lunch in the LC, but I normally eat during your tour time. Um, I can't really think of anything that you could do besides maybe walk around the campus. IMO, the best thing that Michigan has going for it are the people, and you can't really experience this on a day visit. This is why preview weekend is a great time to visit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:53 am

Objection wrote:So I was just browsing through pics of the law quad again...

I want to go sit outside late one night during a snowstorm. Set against the beautiful architecture, the lighting... It just seems like the type of thing that would make everything a little bit better.

And as much as I try to tell myself to look beyond these things and at the bigger picture...it's easier said than done.

Yes, it's beautiful, but I don't know how much "stock" I would really put into this when making my decision. Maybe it would be a tiebreaker sort of thing. I felt the same way about the law quad when I first got to UMich, but it's funny how quickly you get over it. I barely even notice anymore unless I'm drunk, and a lot of people have said the same thing.

Come to Michigan because the people, for the most part, aren't the typical arrogant, douchey assholes that you will find at most law schools, but don't come for the gothic buildings. That seems silly IMO.

I will say that the school is damn near perfect in every aspect except that it's in Ann Arbor.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:16 am

tl wrote:
Objection wrote:So I was just browsing through pics of the law quad again...

Yes, it's beautiful, but I don't know how much "stock" I would really put into this when making my decision. Maybe it would be a tiebreaker sort of thing. I felt the same way about the law quad when I first got to UMich, but it's funny how quickly you get over it. I barely even notice anymore unless I'm drunk, and a lot of people have said the same thing.

Come to Michigan because the people, for the most part, aren't the typical arrogant, douchey assholes that you will find at most law schools, but don't come for the gothic buildings. That seems silly IMO.

I will say that the school is damn near perfect in every aspect except that it's in Ann Arbor.

:D

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:24 am

Ahhh yes..that small problem. Damn you Michigan for being in Michigan! Uh i'm so conflicted

becca87

New

Post by becca87 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:30 am

I have a dumb question. I signed up to tour and it in on a class in a few weeks. When I sit in on the class, do I just walk in and sit somewhere? Do I have to check in with anyone or anything? The email didn't specify that I had to do anything, but I don't want to screw up the class, haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:31 am

becca87 wrote:I have a dumb question. I signed up to tour and it in on a class in a few weeks. When I sit in on the class, do I just walk in and sit somewhere? Do I have to check in with anyone or anything? The email didn't specify that I had to do anything, but I don't want to screw up the class, haha.
Seats are usually assigned, so it might be a good idea to ask the prof which seat is free (or just wait until everyone is seated and take an empty chair).

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:48 am

becca87 wrote:I have a dumb question. I signed up to tour and it in on a class in a few weeks. When I sit in on the class, do I just walk in and sit somewhere? Do I have to check in with anyone or anything? The email didn't specify that I had to do anything, but I don't want to screw up the class, haha.

which class?

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 am

I never got an e-mail confirmation. Should I call or what?

becca87

New

Post by becca87 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:07 pm

awesomepossum wrote:

which class?
Con Law with Halberstam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:03 pm

One thing I keep reading about is the law school expansion, but I have never ever ever seen an estimated completion date. Any rumors/speculation/announcements about this?

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:40 am

spencer26 wrote:Go in on Saturday. I am seriously considering it, but I was offered a hefty scholarship at Emory, Im torn. I was complete in late November and my numbers are 169/3.95...
yfwgi

becca87

New

Post by becca87 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:27 am

Yay, just checked the admitted student's site, and they've approved my request to switch from fall to summer start!! I can't believe I'm starting law school in less than 3 months!

Anhimal

New

Post by Anhimal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm waiting for my phonathon/emailathon tonight! I have many many questions, I hope whoever assigned to me actually calls or e-mails.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”