Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
woeisme

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by woeisme » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Harry Pothead wrote:
I mean that and it's Michigan ...
...says the dude at Cornell :shock:
?

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Can we make a list of decided students? Or is it too soon for that? I know there are a good number of us ED students already decided. Are there any non ED applicants that have decided?

Vail67

New

Post by Vail67 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Last edited by Vail67 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cramble

New

Post by Cramble » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm also 99% sure I'll be attending...

Question: Someone asked me today if the Summer Starters would have to face cuts at the end of the summer semester (ie bottom 10% of the summer starters are 'kicked out'.. something like that). I told them I didn't think so, but now I'm not sure. I've done some research, but can't find anything that says whether or not this is true.

Anyone have a definitive answer on this?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Cramble wrote:I'm also 99% sure I'll be attending...

Question: Someone asked me today if the Summer Starters would have to face cuts at the end of the summer semester (ie bottom 10% of the summer starters are 'kicked out'.. something like that). I told them I didn't think so, but now I'm not sure. I've done some research, but can't find anything that says whether or not this is true.

Anyone have a definitive answer on this?

No cuts. Basically U of Michigan has the attitude that everyone can/should graduate. There is no culling of the herd so to speak.

As one prof said, you have to work REALLY REALLY hard not to graduate once you're here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:21 pm

That is DEFINITELY not true. There are no "cuts" at any stage. I don't have time right now to look up what it would take to fail out of law school, but it is very difficult to do.

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:24 pm

The lowest grade on the curve is prob a C-, which means that you cant really "fail out" per se.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Harry Pothead wrote:The lowest grade on the curve is prob a C-, which means that you cant really "fail out" per se.

Actually profs CAN give lower grades if you look at the Res Gestae stuff. But according to that thing that Dean Baum sent out, if you have below a C, you can do 'extra work' to get pushed up to a C.

Cramble

New

Post by Cramble » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Good deal. Thanks, guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 pm

'extra work'
Sexual favors?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Harry Pothead wrote:
'extra work'
Sexual favors?

ummmm.......... I restrained my inner nerd from applying the canons of statutory construction to figure out if that's the case.

:oops:

seychelles

New

Post by seychelles » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Hey!

I got accepted into Michigan recently and am quite excited, but I have never visited the state before and the whole snow part is kind of daunting....I've lived in CA all my life!

My question is about the Lawyer's Club: How is the food? Is it bad, as in high school cafeteria bad or just okay? I won't be bringing a car and I am debating on-campus housing.

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:11 am

seychelles wrote:Hey!

I got accepted into Michigan recently and am quite excited, but I have never visited the state before and the whole snow part is kind of daunting....I've lived in CA all my life!

My question is about the Lawyer's Club: How is the food? Is it bad, as in high school cafeteria bad or just okay? I won't be bringing a car and I am debating on-campus housing.
just say no to the lawyer's club

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 am

I've only eaten there once, but I think general consensus is that the food is pretty good, but that you can get awfully tired of it.

Anyway... whether you want to live in the LC depends a lot on your own personality and preferences. There are some people who love it and choose to stay for 2L (and some even for 3L)... there are people who can't get far enough away from it.

MLaw11

New

Post by MLaw11 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:47 am

Alexandria wrote:I've only eaten there once, but I think general consensus is that the food is pretty good, but that you can get awfully tired of it.

Anyway... whether you want to live in the LC depends a lot on your own personality and preferences. There are some people who love it and choose to stay for 2L (and some even for 3L)... there are people who can't get far enough away from it.
Agreed on all counts. Except 'pretty good' might be a little optimistic (decent? acceptable?)...that or I'm just tired of it. There are a lot of negative reactions about the LC on TLS/LSD, and I've always been a bit curious why that is. Not sure if it's disgruntled residents, non-residents who despise the whole notion of a dorm, some combination thereof, or something else entirely.

I, for one, have enjoyed it. I'm not going to sit here and advocate for the LC because I think there are a lot of people who would be miserable living here. There's a reasonable amount of information out there about the place; try to figure out if you'd be one of them before making any decisions. If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Post or PM.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:33 pm

I asked this a few days ago but didn't get a reply- for all of the current students on the board who live off-campus with one or more people, how did you find your roommate(s)? I sent my info (preferences etc) to UMich for some list they compile for roommate matching, but I'm getting kind of worried about simultaneously finding a roommate and an apartment/house in a town I'm not familiar with.

Should I plan on looking at apartments during the April ASW? Is that more or less the right time to sign a lease on an apartment for august?

Also, from the off-campus housing website listings, it seems like most places are available either september or very late august, after the date when orientation begins- but it *is* possible to find a lease that starts august 1st or 15th, rite?

TIA.

becca87

New

Post by becca87 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:06 pm

lilybbloom wrote:I asked this a few days ago but didn't get a reply- for all of the current students on the board who live off-campus with one or more people, how did you find your roommate(s)? I sent my info (preferences etc) to UMich for some list they compile for roommate matching, but I'm getting kind of worried about simultaneously finding a roommate and an apartment/house in a town I'm not familiar with.

Should I plan on looking at apartments during the April ASW? Is that more or less the right time to sign a lease on an apartment for august?

Also, from the off-campus housing website listings, it seems like most places are available either september or very late august, after the date when orientation begins- but it *is* possible to find a lease that starts august 1st or 15th, rite?

TIA.
Yeah, I'd like to know some of these answers too.

I'm kind of thinking about the LC, but I've gotten some pretty mixed reactions when I've asked people about their opinions of it. Seems like preliminary apartment hunting in April might be wise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 pm

The LC sounds fine, but I have 2 cats so it's kind of out of the question.

Completely off topic, but MIT allows cats in some of their dorms!?

Vail67

New

Post by Vail67 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Last edited by Vail67 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Are they done sending out Darrow invites? I'm worried the fact that I didn't get one means my application was bad.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:35 pm

seychelles wrote: My question is about the Lawyer's Club: How is the food? Is it bad, as in high school cafeteria bad or just okay? I won't be bringing a car and I am debating on-campus housing.
It's just OK. It's not horrific or anything, but it's a little better than cafeteria bad. On a side note, I really liked living in the LC this year. I made tons of friends and the convenience was great. I would really recommend it for any incoming 1Ls.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Vail67

New

Post by Vail67 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm almost positive I'm going to live in the lawyer's club but can't decide if I want to put my highest request as a single or a suite. Pros / cons? Are the actual bedrooms the same size in both scenarios, but the suite just also has a common area? I've had great experiences with roommates and seeing as we wouldn't be sharing an actual room, this option seems appealing.

Thoughts?

rightthat

New

Post by rightthat » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:10 am

Regarding the Summer Start, how does the fact that you only take two doctrinal courses (and three total) change what you need to take in subsequent semesters, if at all? Is it easy to make up that extra course?

FWIW I am currently strongly considering Michigan (Summer Start) and plan to visit during the March ASW. Columbia and NYU (amongst others, but those are the two ranked above U-M) acceptances are going to make my decision difficult, but something about Michigan and Ann Arbor is really compelling to me - the nice Dean's scholly from UMich is also a factor. If only Michigan would considering giving me additional need-based grant money. :mrgreen:

eta necessary preposition

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 am

rightthat wrote:Regarding the Summer Start, how does the fact that you only take two doctrinal courses (and three total) change what you need to take in subsequent semesters, if at all? Is it easy to make up that extra course?

FWIW I am currently strongly considering Michigan (Summer Start) and plan to visit during the March ASW. Columbia and NYU (amongst others, but those are the two ranked above U-M) acceptances are going to make my decision difficult, but something about Michigan and Ann Arbor is really compelling to me - the nice Dean's scholly from UMich is also a factor. If only Michigan would considering giving me additional need-based grant money. :mrgreen:

eta necessary preposition

the rest of the doctrinal courses (4) are spread among the remaining two semesters and you can take whatever electives for the balance.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 am

Vail67 wrote:I'm almost positive I'm going to live in the lawyer's club but can't decide if I want to put my highest request as a single or a suite. Pros / cons? Are the actual bedrooms the same size in both scenarios, but the suite just also has a common area? I've had great experiences with roommates and seeing as we wouldn't be sharing an actual room, this option seems appealing.

Thoughts?
I think it just depends on personal preference. I don't personally know of anyone that has had a roommate horror story this year. Maybe some people can't stand their roommates, but no one has been very vocal about it, and people tell me a lot of shit, so I'm sure I would've heard something.

As far as the rooms, the common rooms in the suites are huge, but the bedrooms are sorta small. I really doubt that you will be spending that much time in your bedroom anyway.

If I could do it again, I would probably get a suite. It gets boring being alone, and I wish I had somebody to hang out with more.

The biggest con is that you have the share a sink with someone else. For some reason, that grosses me out.

I don't really think you can go wrong either way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”