Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Alexandria

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Alexandria » Sun May 24, 2009 11:01 am

This is maybe a life stages difference. Like if you're 23 and feel like an apartment is just a place to crash and you're going to spend all your time at school and studying in the library and going out with people, living close might be the way to go. But if you're a little older and have a significant other you will spend a lot of time hanging out with at home or if you have pets or kids or just generally are a bit of a homebody, you're probably better off living further away, since you can find MUCH bigger, better places to live a bit further out. And unlike in big cities, further out only means a 10 minute drive, not an hour drive.

PS, sm, are you working on your paper? I am. Which is why I'm on Facebook and TLS.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Sun May 24, 2009 2:15 pm

Are we considered UM students or Grad students? I want to use the gym, but I'm not sure if I have to pay for a membership on top of the student activity fee we pay. Has anyone had to pay for the membership fee on top of the regular fee?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sun May 24, 2009 2:17 pm

just a girl wrote:Are we considered UM students or Grad students? I want to use the gym, but I'm not sure if I have to pay for a membership on top of the student activity fee we pay. Has anyone had to pay for the membership fee on top of the regular fee?
As a law student you can use the CCRB, NCRB, and IMB for free. The only facilities that aren't open to all students are the super luxo ones dedicated to the athletic teams (and even some of those might be open generally at certain times). Might have to pay something to use them during the summer when not taking classes. Spouses and dependents (actually I think any adult "sponsored" by an enrolled student) can use them for like $35 a month.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Mon May 25, 2009 12:42 am

Random question - is Loveline broadcast on radios in Ann Arbor/Detroit at all? I'm seriously going to miss this if it isn't...

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:37 am

Do you need anything at the lawyers' club to connect to the internet? (modem, ethernet cord, etc...) I am assuming there is a wireless network, but I just wanted to make sure....?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Mon May 25, 2009 4:44 am

this is the second year the LC has had internet at all (wireless)

can you imagine living in a shitty building that's a dorm when you're 21+ AND having no internet connection? it's like all the downsides of the LC plus it's FUCKING TERRIBLE.

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Mon May 25, 2009 8:46 am

spencer26 wrote:Do you need anything at the lawyers' club to connect to the internet? (modem, ethernet cord, etc...) I am assuming there is a wireless network, but I just wanted to make sure....?
Wireless network is there, but it's slow. I plugged my desktop into the ethernet.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Mon May 25, 2009 9:50 am

USC2009 wrote:Random question - is Loveline broadcast on radios in Ann Arbor/Detroit at all? I'm seriously going to miss this if it isn't...
It used to be on 89x a long time ago, but I don't think it is anymore. You can probably listen online though?

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:58 pm

itzjulz wrote:
USC2009 wrote:Random question - is Loveline broadcast on radios in Ann Arbor/Detroit at all? I'm seriously going to miss this if it isn't...
It used to be on 89x a long time ago, but I don't think it is anymore. You can probably listen online though?
Yeah, you can. There's nothing like a long drive at night while listening to loveline though :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trampolinez0r

New

Post by trampolinez0r » Mon May 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Summer orientation is tomorrow, anybody else getting a little antsy?

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Mon May 25, 2009 5:29 pm

How dare they bring in new students when old ones don't have their grades in yet.
loljk. Good luck everyone:)

Nietzsche

New

Post by Nietzsche » Mon May 25, 2009 5:33 pm

What time is orientation tomorrow?

I'm STOKED!

8)

e_ticket

New

Post by e_ticket » Mon May 25, 2009 6:13 pm

USC2009 wrote:
itzjulz wrote:
Yeah, you can. There's nothing like a long drive at night while listening to loveline though :mrgreen:
+1,000,000.

Don't make me drop-trow...I'll do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trampolinez0r

New

Post by trampolinez0r » Mon May 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Things get started tomorrow morning at 7:30am in front of Hutchins.

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Mon May 25, 2009 6:24 pm

people show up to orientation events that early?

trampolinez0r

New

Post by trampolinez0r » Mon May 25, 2009 6:30 pm

I guess so?

oliviachicago

New

Post by oliviachicago » Mon May 25, 2009 7:47 pm

james18 wrote:Quick question for current students -

I've narrowed my living choices down to an apartment complex about a 5-7 min walk from the law quad and a place a little north of the med school about a 5 min walk from a Michigan bus stop and with an Ann Arbor bus stop right outside. I figure that it's a maximum 25-30 min. trip from condo to law quad, but it seems that most 1Ls live much closer than that...

Any thoughts as to how the distance might impact my quality of life as a law student (meeting other 1Ls, getting involved in the school, study habits, etc.)? How many others come in from about that far away?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks guys!

I'm about to start for the summer, and my boyfriend and I decided on a beautiful place a bit farther from the law school. We definitely wanted quality over closeness. I'll be about a 5min bike ride or 20min walk. (No car here) But we have a 3 bedroom place with a huge balcony and a yard for the price of a 1 bedroom closer to campus. There are several others I've talked to who are opting for a small "commute."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Mon May 25, 2009 7:53 pm

oliviachicago wrote:I'm about to start for the summer, and my boyfriend and I decided on a beautiful place a bit farther from the law school. We definitely wanted quality over closeness. I'll be about a 5min bike ride or 20min walk. (No car here) But we have a 3 bedroom place with a huge balcony and a yard for the price of a 1 bedroom closer to campus. There are several others I've talked to who are opting for a small "commute."
This is credited. The sweet spot is 1-2 miles from the law quad. That's far enough out to get into somewhat cheaper and far nicer neighborhoods than the undergrad ghetto near the school, but close enough that it's still walkable even in the dead of winter. We wound up with a backyard the size of an arena football field and a small but nice three-bedroom house, for basically the same price as a 1BR close in or the LC including meal plan.

trampolinez0r

New

Post by trampolinez0r » Mon May 25, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm pretty all all the orientation stuff is mandatory.

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Mon May 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi again everyone,

Question for current students: Who are the profs who currently give courses on international economic law-type topics (e.g. trade/investment/arbitration/transnational transactions).

I think Howse (sp?) used to do some of the NAFTA/WTO law, but I believe he moved to NYU.

Thanks!

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:00 pm

snotrocket wrote:
oliviachicago wrote:I'm about to start for the summer, and my boyfriend and I decided on a beautiful place a bit farther from the law school. We definitely wanted quality over closeness. I'll be about a 5min bike ride or 20min walk. (No car here) But we have a 3 bedroom place with a huge balcony and a yard for the price of a 1 bedroom closer to campus. There are several others I've talked to who are opting for a small "commute."
This is credited. The sweet spot is 1-2 miles from the law quad. That's far enough out to get into somewhat cheaper and far nicer neighborhoods than the undergrad ghetto near the school, but close enough that it's still walkable even in the dead of winter. We wound up with a backyard the size of an arena football field and a small but nice three-bedroom house, for basically the same price as a 1BR close in or the LC including meal plan.
oliviachicago wrote:
james18 wrote:Quick question for current students -

I've narrowed my living choices down to an apartment complex about a 5-7 min walk from the law quad and a place a little north of the med school about a 5 min walk from a Michigan bus stop and with an Ann Arbor bus stop right outside. I figure that it's a maximum 25-30 min. trip from condo to law quad, but it seems that most 1Ls live much closer than that...

Any thoughts as to how the distance might impact my quality of life as a law student (meeting other 1Ls, getting involved in the school, study habits, etc.)? How many others come in from about that far away?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks guys!

I'm about to start for the summer, and my boyfriend and I decided on a beautiful place a bit farther from the law school. We definitely wanted quality over closeness. I'll be about a 5min bike ride or 20min walk. (No car here) But we have a 3 bedroom place with a huge balcony and a yard for the price of a 1 bedroom closer to campus. There are several others I've talked to who are opting for a small "commute."

Which direction are we talking here? 2 miles south? West?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Interesting article on "The tale of two economies in Michigan..."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124329299105252505.html

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Mon May 25, 2009 9:40 pm

USC2009 wrote:Which direction are we talking here? 2 miles south? West?
My place is ~1.8 miles down Packard Street, just south of Stadium.

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Mon May 25, 2009 10:47 pm

merriweather needs an avatar.

oliviachicago

New

Post by oliviachicago » Mon May 25, 2009 11:00 pm

snotrocket wrote:
USC2009 wrote:Which direction are we talking here? 2 miles south? West?
My place is ~1.8 miles down Packard Street, just south of Stadium.
I'm living on Baldwin, just south(east?)ish of the intersection of Hill and Washtenaw. Sorry, I don't know the area too well yet, had to google it :) Coming from Chicago, I've gotten a bit lax with directions--when everything is laid out in a grid you stop bothering to think about north and south! I think it's a little over a mile or so to the law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”