GULC '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
SubmarineChaser

New

Re: GULC '12

Post by SubmarineChaser » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Mark71121 wrote:gulc 1l feel free to ask Qs
Any input on Curriculum B??

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:29 pm

I already live in DC and will be staying in my Apt a few stops down the red line and I'm worried I'll have a hard time getting to know the other 1Ls all living in Gewirz. Have you noticed that people commuting from other parts of DC, MD, and VA are less involved on campus or have a harder time fitting in?

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:44 pm

SubmarineChaser wrote:
Any input on Curriculum B??
i'm not in curriculum b, so i don't really have much to offer. the people in that section don't seem to be any different than everyone else. in my opinion, their classes seem pretty cool compared to the standard (and dated) 1L curriculum.

lawaddict06

New

Post by lawaddict06 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:46 pm

Your profile indicates you chose Gtown over several other T14's. What was the deciding factor for you?

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:I already live in DC and will be staying in my Apt a few stops down the red line and I'm worried I'll have a hard time getting to know the other 1Ls all living in Gewirz. Have you noticed that people commuting from other parts of DC, MD, and VA are less involved on campus or have a harder time fitting in?

i'm probably not the best person i ask. i don't live on campus and i don't really talk to anyone in school. i go to class and go home. there are plenty of activities on-campus that i'm sure you could attend if you're looking to make friends. besides, it isn't like you'll have nowhere to go if you don't have a dorm room. a lot of people go to the library and take breaks by hanging out in the cafe or something. you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:48 pm

lawaddict06 wrote:
Your profile indicates you chose Gtown over several other T14's. What was the deciding factor for you?
my profile is not real. i did chose gulc over a T10 school, though. $$$ was the single deciding factor.

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Mark71121 wrote:i'm not in curriculum b, so i don't really have much to offer. the people in that section don't seem to be any different than everyone else. in my opinion, their classes seem pretty cool compared to the standard (and dated) 1L curriculum.
thanks for the input, it's appreciated. I've been leaning towards B more and more lately, but I'm having a tough time committing myself to it.
Mark71121 wrote:i'm probably not the best person i ask. i don't live on campus and i don't really talk to anyone in school. i go to class and go home. there are plenty of activities on-campus that i'm sure you could attend if you're looking to make friends. besides, it isn't like you'll have nowhere to go if you don't have a dorm room. a lot of people go to the library and take breaks by hanging out in the cafe or something. you'll be fine.
are you a non-trad?

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm

SubmarineChaser wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:i'm not in curriculum b, so i don't really have much to offer. the people in that section don't seem to be any different than everyone else. in my opinion, their classes seem pretty cool compared to the standard (and dated) 1L curriculum.
thanks for the input, it's appreciated. I've been leaning towards B more and more lately, but I'm having a tough time committing myself to it.
Mark71121 wrote:i'm probably not the best person i ask. i don't live on campus and i don't really talk to anyone in school. i go to class and go home. there are plenty of activities on-campus that i'm sure you could attend if you're looking to make friends. besides, it isn't like you'll have nowhere to go if you don't have a dorm room. a lot of people go to the library and take breaks by hanging out in the cafe or something. you'll be fine.
are you a non-trad?

no

AdCommie

New

Post by AdCommie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:58 am

Mark71121 wrote:
Give us a no BS assessment of this year's OCI (1L and 2L).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pirouette

New

Post by pirouette » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:00 pm

whiteballea wrote:Am I the only person who is ridiculously excited about the prospect of attending GULC in the Fall? Maybe it's just my reaction to how completely underwhelming my undergraduate school was.

I think that attending one of the nation's top law schools, and living in DC right now can not be beaten.

Please pardon my over-enthusiasm.
I'm with you!! I'm old enough now to really appreciate the opportunity (unlike when I went to undergrad) and I really can't wait till August.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:50 pm

AdCommie wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:
Give us a no BS assessment of this year's OCI (1L and 2L).

hard to say with 2Ls. (1) i don't know many. (2) many of the 2Ls with jobs are either going to get no offered or deferred. i would say that job placement for 2Ls has been pretty consistent with what people expect from GULC: worse than the t13, better than everyone else.

next year's OCI will probably be a disaster. i'm expecting only top 1/3 to get biglaw jobs, and maybe even not that much. fwiw, i don't think schools outside CCN will do much better than this either, so its all relative. it's possible that i'm just extremely pessimistic.

one thing that i'll say about gulc is that a lot of people come here with no desire for biglaw, so there isn't as much competition as you'd think. i'm sure its the same at other t14s, but i'd bet that there's a disproportionate amount of people here wanting to do PI/Government type stuff.

i wouldn't suggest paying sticker to go here. but if you get some decent $$$ and don't have a CCN acceptance, it is not a bad choice.

sba314

New

Post by sba314 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:03 pm

pirouette wrote:
whiteballea wrote:Am I the only person who is ridiculously excited about the prospect of attending GULC in the Fall? Maybe it's just my reaction to how completely underwhelming my undergraduate school was.

I think that attending one of the nation's top law schools, and living in DC right now can not be beaten.

I'm with you!! I'm old enough now to really appreciate the opportunity (unlike when I went to undergrad) and I really can't wait till August.
+1

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:05 pm

sba314 wrote:
pirouette wrote:

+1
+2

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AdCommie

New

Post by AdCommie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:18 pm

Mark71121 wrote: OCI stuff
Do you think you have to rank even higher in the class in order to get a gig in another market such as NYC or LA as opposed to one in the DC area?

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Sat May 02, 2009 12:56 pm

What's up with A & B tracks? No clue here... btw, I'm most likely in this class and give a big +1 to being excited about attending such a fantastic school in the fall.

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Hey, all! Welcome to Georgetown. I'm a 1L, curriculum B (aka, section 3). It's been one of the best years of my life. I love our section, the classes are fascinating, and (most of) the professors are wonderful. I was a little scared of choosing the curriculum at first, because I felt intimidated by theory/philosophy, having no background in it. It turned out not to matter; we don't get too far into the weeds of abstract theory.

Those of you curious about section 3, here's a breakdown of our 1L classes (as opposed to the typical 1L curriculum):

Year-Long Classes:
Legal Process & Society
(our version of Civil Procedure, with some theory thrown in, about the tension between dignity values and efficiency values of affording various procedures)

Bargain, Exchange, & Liability
(Contracts and Torts combined. Lots of theory readings, Duncan Kennedy, etc. Mind-blowing class.)

Legal Practice: Writing an Analysis
(Your basic research and writing class with a fancy name)

Fall Semester
Property in Time
(standard property class, but with a lot of legal history thrown in.)

Legal Justice
(Amazing class -- basically a jurisprudence class, in which we explore the evolution of the various legal schools of thought, from Classicism to Realism and beyond. It has helped to give me a "big picture" view of the law and really helps me understand a lot of my other classes.)

Spring Semester
Democracy & Coercion
(Criminal Procedure and Constitutional Law combined. This year was interesting because the long-time famous prof who created the course handed it over to a new prof -- so we experienced some "growing pains." Still interesting, though.)

Government Processes
(Basically administrative law. I thought this class would be boring and LOVED it. And it's awesome to be able to take admin law as a 1L, because others can't.)

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:35 am

AdCommie wrote:
Mark71121 wrote: OCI stuff
Do you think you have to rank even higher in the class in order to get a gig in another market such as NYC or LA as opposed to one in the DC area?

No. NYC is much easier to get than DC. DC is probably the hardest market to crack.

I know 2Ls who were top 10% and didn't get jobs in LA, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Wed May 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Come on, I want to get this thread moving now that I'm gonna be in the fall class!

Does everyone coming in have clear designs for their career? Or is anyone just rolling through law school with an eye to develop a career outlook as they go?

Me, I know I will not do big law. No amount of money is going to get me in someone's office 80-90 hours a week. I intend to seek government work for the first few years, either with the feds or my home state, followed by a jump to private after a nice decade or so of service.

Having said all that, who knows what will happen if someone offers me 150k out of school. I have never had to walk away from that much cash. I'm pretty sure, though, that the prospect of no life outside of work will turn me off.

What about school at GULC/in DC has you guys most excited? For me, stuff like being able watch the Supreme Court justice hearings that will commence sometime in the next few months is just a mind boggling opportunity. Lunch and reading on the mall; Christmas at the White House.

I just can't wait.

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Thu May 07, 2009 11:24 am

I am so excited to begin classes. I deferred my start date for a couple years and with the current recession, I am so happy I did. Since I'm currently living abroad it's going be a lot to get used to again. It's going to be a big change, but it's exciting to get back into the classroom. Does anyone know when they will begin posting information about orientation? I haven't been there since the admitted events in spring 2007 and I want to make sure I don't miss anything. As far as where to live, I'm looking as close to the LC as possible. It may more expensive, but I don't need to hassle of waiting for the metro or a bus at all hours of the night. I have also been stalking all the forums looking for people who are going to be going to GULC this fall. Any news on a fbook group? Admissions groups? I am hoping the more excited I am now, the longer it will continue on once the brick wall of 1st semester 1L hits.

ms. lane

New

Post by ms. lane » Thu May 07, 2009 11:37 am

I too am really excited to get started at GULC!

Here's a link to the facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 4584513756

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 pm

I've been agonizing for months about which curricula to take...after I got Andy's e-mail today I just impulsively pulled the trigger and requested Curriculum B. Should be interesting.
GreenHeels wrote:What about school at GULC/in DC has you guys most excited?
The gym...that place is freaking gorgeous.
GreenHeels wrote:Does everyone coming in have clear designs for their career?
Dolla dolla bills y'all
Jadcia wrote:Does anyone know when they will begin posting information about orientation?
If I remember correctly, the move-in date for Gee-whiz is Aug. 23 (a Sunday) and the orientation for full-timers is the Wed-Fri of that week. I don't believe anything more detailed is available yet from the school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Fri May 08, 2009 6:58 pm

SubmarineChaser wrote:I've been agonizing for months about which curricula to take...after I got Andy's e-mail today I just impulsively pulled the trigger and requested Curriculum B. Should be interesting.
What e-mail was this? I just sent in my deposit today, so I'm probably not on their attending mailing list yet. And yeah, the gym was hella bomb.

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Fri May 08, 2009 7:03 pm

It was a confirmation that they'd received my seat deposit, then a couple of bullet points...curriculum selection, computer requirements, health insurance, and future mailings. If you know what curriculum you want to enroll in, you can do it through the accepted students' site. Although I'm not sure if that will be available to you until they've received your deposit.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Fri May 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Yeah for sure. I'm kind of torn between the two options. It seems to me that there would be a higher rate of gunners in curriculum B, which is one thing that has me leaning towards A atm. Can anyone who is currently a student confirm/deny this, or at least as best you can only being in one section?

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Fri May 08, 2009 8:40 pm

Splitt3r wrote:Yeah for sure. I'm kind of torn between the two options. It seems to me that there would be a higher rate of gunners in curriculum B, which is one thing that has me leaning towards A atm. Can anyone who is currently a student confirm/deny this, or at least as best you can only being in one section?
Actually dude I sort of got the opposite impression from the ASW. I stayed with a 1L in Curriculum B and met a few of his friends. They were all really laid-back and pretty cool, and they came off as very intellectually curious but definitely not gunners; I think as someone who wants to get into BigLaw I'll be in the minority in Curriculum B.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”