GULC '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Re: GULC '12

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Curric sign up was on the ASW under academics. I thin the deadline was the first of this month.

Section 4 here. I like our schedule. 2, possibly 3 days a week with no classes before 12.00? What's not to like? And I'm excited to get Civ Pro out of the way.

BBoy_TigerStyle

New

Post by BBoy_TigerStyle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:46 pm

TheIllogicalReasoner wrote:When were we supposed to fill out a preference for section 3??? I never heard anything about that...
There's a curriculum selection form on the admitted students site.

titles

New

Post by titles » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:46 pm

Section 1 here too! This is the first time I have EVER not had class on a friday (and I have done a bit of school)! I feel like my b-school friends. Awesome.

ms. lane

New

Post by ms. lane » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Section 3 here. So excited!

Wednesdays look to be pretty busy for the fall.

Does anyone know which professors, if any, are new to Curriculum B? I sat in on Democracy & Coercion with Forman this spring. It was his first time teaching it, and it looks like he's out.

AdCommie

New

Post by AdCommie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Section 1 here...

boy Schrag is not getting any love on ratemyprofessor...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Holla back section 3!

I actually still have some reservations about the alternate curriculum as a whole, mostly because my buddy's dad (crazy successful lawyer in Providence) looked it over for me and advised STRONGLY against it :? But Prof Seidman is the fucking man so I'm thinking I might stick it out and see what happens.

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Last edited by SubmarineChaser on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:55 pm

Section 1. Off to research small section profs. Terribly excited all the way around, very happy with both fall and spring schedules.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:05 pm

I started a section 3 Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 647&ref=mf

Join up, fellow sectionites!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Others in Section 1 and anyone else that has this on their schedule:

Am I correct in reading the Thursday schedule of Civ Pro as a one-off? We're not having it every week then just the one time indicated due to a canceled class?

Thanks.

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Yeah. Its just a makeup class for Oct. 6th, which is canceled.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:55 pm

broncos06 wrote:
gilchristh wrote: Broncos, I know my roommate REALLY wants Section 3. I will check with her today to see if she got it, and if not, I'm 100% sure she'd switch with you.
No, I got section 2, but I REALLY wanted Section 3 :( It was a huge selling point for G'town. FML
There's a guy on the facebook group who is in section 3 but might want to switch out. Maybe check him out?

edit: SubmarineChaser, is that you I'm talking about?

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:04 pm

I got section 1 as well, looks like I'll have some company from Tls! What's the schedule like for us? I can't see it because I'm on my iPhone atm...

Edit: nm, I got the word version to open. Looks like a good schedule.
Last edited by Splitt3r on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

broncos06

New

Post by broncos06 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:12 pm

gilchristh wrote: There's a guy on the facebook group who is in section 3 but might want to switch out. Maybe check him out?

edit: SubmarineChaser, is that you I'm talking about?
REALLY?!, thanks for the tip. If anyone does not want section 3- you can have my section 2 spot!

Eddie

New

Post by Eddie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:08 pm

Is it possible to see the other section schedules? That other people can be pleased or displeased with their section makes me feel like I'm missing out on something.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:23 pm

Eddie wrote:Is it possible to see the other section schedules? That other people can be pleased or displeased with their section makes me feel like I'm missing out on something.
My pleasure is just based on a personal preference for getting up and at 'em early in the day, as well as stacking as many classes onto as few days as possible, which is exactly what the section 1 schedule looks tailored to.

Who knows, I may well have been happier with another section.

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 pm

Section 3. Not really sure what I've gotten myself into. I might be switching.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:17 pm

drew wrote:Section 3. Not really sure what I've gotten myself into. I might be switching.
B was originally why I decided on GULC versus a few other schools, but I ended up going with A. Lack of commercial guides, increased reading load and potential for difficulty with private employment all helped in the decision. Still, I'm envious of those who landed in B......sounds a bit more interesting overall than the standard 1L curric.

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:32 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
drew wrote:Section 3. Not really sure what I've gotten myself into. I might be switching.
B was originally why I decided on GULC versus a few other schools, but I ended up going with A. Lack of commercial guides, increased reading load and potential for difficulty with private employment all helped in the decision. Still, I'm envious of those who landed in B......sounds a bit more interesting overall than the standard 1L curric.
Could you expound on that "private employment" piece? Is it beneficial for government/PI work?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:40 pm

drew wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
Could you expound on that "private employment" piece? Is it beneficial for government/PI work?
No clue. I'm just speculating, but I would imagine firms are a bit more reluctant to accept the unique first year curriculum than PI employers. I don't know if it would be a problem beyond hiring for 1L summers anyway, since you'll be taking regular classes as a 2L/3L.

Pure speculation here. And keep in mind GULC did a study that monitored the career paths of B and A graduates that (allegedly) found no relevant distinction between the two, so take this OL's speculations with a grain of salt.

seachange

New

Post by seachange » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Section 2 here...Anyone know where we can find the list of available electives for second semester?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:56 pm

seachange wrote:Section 2 here...Anyone know where we can find the list of available electives for second semester?
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/curriculu ... iculum%20A

Curriculum "A" Elective Courses

International Criminal Law
Professor O'Sullivan
3 Semester Hours

International Law I: Introduction to International Law
Professor Brown Weiss
3 Semester Hours

International Law I: Introduction to International Law
Professors Koplow, D. Stewart
3 Semester Hours

Lawmaking: Introduction to Statutory and Regulatory Interpretation
Professor Westmoreland
3 Semester Hours

Lawmaking: Introduction to Statutory and Regulatory Interpretation
Professor Mezey
3 Semester Hours

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:03 pm

Cool. Statutory Interp FTW.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:15 pm

npe wrote:Cool. Statutory Interp FTW.
That's what I'm thinking too. Appears to be the most useful course.

AceOfDiamonds

New

Post by AceOfDiamonds » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:33 pm

[opinion]

I'd definitely choose Statutory Interp over International Law. Int'l Law seems the course designed for students who'll knee-jerkingly apply to the most 'interesting' theoretical courses, at the cost of practical applicability. Statutory Interp may seem more "boring", but it's also more useful. (Unless you're one of that lucky <1% who ends up with jobs in London.)

[/opinion]

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”