GULC '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mark71121

Bronze

Re: GULC '12

Post by Mark71121 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:10 pm

they do sell hoya lawya shirts in the store. i'm not sure if they have the class year on them though

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Has anyone worn their Hoya Lawya shirt in public? I haven't been able to even try mine on yet. I just imagine someone seeing me in the shirt and saying "You're a Hoya Lawya? That's funny; I could have sworn you were a Huge Douche [or other rhyming insult]."

(No offense meant to anyone who loves and frequently wears their shirt.)

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Huge and Douche don't rhyme...

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Splitt3r wrote:Huge and Douche don't rhyme...
Well, they're close enough for my purposes. Unless I've been pronouncing "douche" incorrectly . . .

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:34 pm

jschuyler wrote:
Well, they're close enough for my purposes. Unless I've been pronouncing "douche" incorrectly . . .
It's like dewshhh

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
jschuyler wrote:
It's like dewshhh
They've both got that overpowering "u" sound. So I guess they're more an example of assonance than rhyme. I should have been an English major; my jokes would be so much more effective.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:47 pm

jschuyler wrote:Has anyone worn their Hoya Lawya shirt in public? I haven't been able to even try mine on yet. I just imagine someone seeing me in the shirt and saying "You're a Hoya Lawya? That's funny; I could have sworn you were a Huge Douche [or other rhyming insult]."

Haven't worn that one out in public, but it's pretty comfy to wear around the house... but I have worn other Georgetown Law stuff I bought at the bookstore--cute running shorts, my hoodie (which is the most comfortable sweatshirt I've ever owned, FYI), and just a plain ol' Georgetown Law girls' tee with fun sleeves. In fact, I wore the tee yesterday to some silly dog parade at this shopping area in Miami, and two guys asked if I go/went to Georgetown Law. They were both alums, and both gave me their business cards. I don't want to practice in Miami, but if I change my mind... YAY networking!

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 pm

jschuyler wrote:Has anyone worn their Hoya Lawya shirt in public? I haven't been able to even try mine on yet. I just imagine someone seeing me in the shirt and saying "You're a Hoya Lawya? That's funny; I could have sworn you were a Huge Douche [or other rhyming insult]."

I cut the sleeves off mine and wear it to the gym.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:43 pm

SubmarineChaser wrote:

+1

I also like to grunt-shout Hoya after every rep.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SubmarineChaser

New

Post by SubmarineChaser » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:10 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
SubmarineChaser wrote:

+1

After a good set I jump up, flex, and yell HOYA PARANOIA!!!

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:22 am

SubmarineChaser wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
SubmarineChaser wrote:

+1

After a good set I jump up, flex, and yell HOYA PARANOIA!!!
Hilarious! I want a shirt too. I'm sad about how weak the whole online bookstore is. I want GULC schwag now!

laws555

New

Post by laws555 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:11 pm

Future Hoyas,

I did not go to gtown law, but another dc school, and I am transferring to a school in NY. Therefore, my room in chinatown is available for sublet. Because there are 2 other roommates it is cheap. Huge room, huge bathroom for yourself. 3 blocks from school. The building is filled with young people and gulc students. Please let me know.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:09 pm

Hey classmates-to-be:

In case any of you are feeling a bit unsure of what deadlines are happening when, I souped up the deadlines info and links in the main Facebook group for our class (and my section's page, too) in an effort to make everything easy to find.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:39 am

So.....looking at the list of orientation stuff, I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip everything except registration for Welcome, Registration and Financial Aid for my section. Is any of the other stuff mandatory?

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Work Study

What this means at Georgetown (and from my experience as an undergrad there) is that while you are not guaranteed any job (you have to apply, some have requirements, etc.) you are eligible to apply for jobs that use work study funds. I was a lifeguard on main campus, and that job was mainly work study students who were certified (ergo, not everyone could apply for it). You basically have dibs at campus jobs and specific off campus ones.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:04 pm

Where'd everybody go?

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:27 am

Does anyone know if we can find out what books our profs will be using in our classes before orentation? I want to buy them before that...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:16 am

Splitt3r wrote:Does anyone know if we can find out what books our profs will be using in our classes before orentation? I want to buy them before that...
You can go to the bookstore website --LinkRemoved--. And search for your classes once they switch over to the Fall semester. Not sure when it will be, but it should be soon.

Roo

New

Books

Post by Roo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:13 pm

You can go to the bookstore website --LinkRemoved--. And search for your classes once they switch over to the Fall semester. Not sure when it will be, but it should be soon.
Has anyone else noticed that with some of the books on the bkstr.com website, like Civil Procedure, they don't give you any identifying information about the book that would allow you to find it on other sites - like half.com? There's no author/editor listed, just a title which does not seem to be accurate judging by the blurry lines on the cover image, and an edition number.

My question is, does anyone know what book it is exactly, and in general does anyone know good sites to find law books at a discount price?

BTW, At Georgetown Undergrad, the school bookstore is always by far the most expensive place to get your books. I'm pretty sure the law school will be the same.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:22 pm

any of you need the Con Law book by Stone, Seidman, etc? http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-La ... 073555014X

if so i can sell for cheap. only about 5-10 pages are marked up. i didnt use it at all.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Hey TLS GULC gang,

Well, we've done it! The wife and I put a whopper check down on a place in the Brightwood District yesterday. As of this upcoming weekend, we are officially D.C. residents!

As outdoors, cook-out, and all-around party people, we like to have get togethers ASAP at new places to firmly establish our spot as a congregating point for friends and family. As you all will shortly come to represent a little of both for us, we'd love to have a gathering either the weekend of 8/1 or 8/8. If there aren't enough interested parties, we'll just push it back closer to the start of the school year.

Let me know here or in PM if this is of interest to anyone. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Roo

New

Post by Roo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 pm

any of you need the Con Law book by Stone, Seidman, etc? --LinkRemoved-- ... 073555014X

if so i can sell for cheap. only about 5-10 pages are marked up. i didnt use it at all.
The Amazon link you provide is to the 5th edition, while the bookstore website says we need the 6th edition.

AdCommie

New

Post by AdCommie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Roo wrote:
any of you need the Con Law book by Stone, Seidman, etc? --LinkRemoved-- ... 073555014X

The Amazon link you provide is to the 5th edition, while the bookstore website says we need the 6th edition.
Thank god you gunners don't make up the entire 500 person class (or whatever the number is).

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:31 pm

AdCommie wrote:
Roo wrote:

Thank god you gunners don't make up the entire 500 person class (or whatever the number is).

lol i thought the same thing.

but seriously, the books are the same thing. i don't think marbury v. madison is getting overturned any time soon.

AceOfDiamonds

New

Post by AceOfDiamonds » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Strange...I can't seem to access my GULC e-mail at this time. I type in the correct username and password, but I get a "quota root does not exist" error message. Anyone know what's up with that?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”