GULC '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Jadcia

New

Re: GULC '12

Post by Jadcia » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:02 am

AceOfDiamonds wrote:Strange...I can't seem to access my GULC e-mail at this time. I type in the correct username and password, but I get a "quota root does not exist" error message. Anyone know what's up with that?
It just worked for me. Maybe it was a temporary glitch.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Splitt3r,

Unfortunately, we do not having any extra Hoya Lawya t-shirts.
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :cry:

Also, grammar fail.

benignuman

New

Post by benignuman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:05 pm

Mark71121 wrote:any of you need the Con Law book by Stone, Seidman, etc? http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-La ... 073555014X
The reviews for it are awful, is this book required?

http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-La ... pd_sim_b_2 has much better reviews.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:03 pm

GreenHeels wrote:Hey TLS GULC gang,

Well, we've done it! The wife and I put a whopper check down on a place in the Brightwood District yesterday. As of this upcoming weekend, we are officially D.C. residents!

As outdoors, cook-out, and all-around party people, we like to have get togethers ASAP at new places to firmly establish our spot as a congregating point for friends and family. As you all will shortly come to represent a little of both for us, we'd love to have a gathering either the weekend of 8/1 or 8/8. If there aren't enough interested parties, we'll just push it back closer to the start of the school year.

Let me know here or in PM if this is of interest to anyone. Looking forward to meeting you all.
I'd love to pop over, but I won't be in town until about the 15th-20th. If you decide to push forward, we'll all have to arrange for another round closer to Orientation!

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:50 pm

benignuman wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:any of you need the Con Law book by Stone, Seidman, etc? http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-La ... 073555014X

it depends on what your prof uses.

i ended up not using/buying most of my required casebooks (which explains the fact that like 5 pages out of 1000 are highlighted), but the vast majority of 1Ls don't feel comfortable doing that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AdCommie

New

Post by AdCommie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Mark71121 wrote:
benignuman wrote:

i ended up not using/buying most of my required casebooks (which explains the fact that like 5 pages out of 1000 are highlighted), but the vast majority of 1Ls don't feel comfortable doing that.
Hey Mark, you can be as specific/vague as you like, but how are the EIW bids going? Reading about the stuff going on in Duke has me wondering if I should defer a year...

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Caved and used birthday Amazon gift card for Examples and Explanations. I do not intend to study them deeply, merely read for a feel of the language and themes.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:10 pm

AdCommie wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:
benignuman wrote:

Hey Mark, you can be as specific/vague as you like, but how are the EIW bids going? Reading about the stuff going on in Duke has me wondering if I should defer a year...

a couple of firms pulled out. the big problem is that most of the firms who are showing up have zero intention of hiring. those who do hire will probably only take a small handful. it is going to be brutal and i'm guessing only 25% of the class gets BIGLAW.

i would probably defer but there's no telling how much better things will be in 2012 or 2013. it could very well be just as bad as it is right now, so that extra year might be an additional cost you should avoid.

AceOfDiamonds

New

Post by AceOfDiamonds » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:12 am

Mark71121 wrote: a couple of firms pulled out. the big problem is that most of the firms who are showing up have zero intention of hiring. those who do hire will probably only take a small handful. it is going to be brutal and i'm guessing only 25% of the class gets BIGLAW.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:26 pm

GreenHeels wrote:Caved and used birthday Amazon gift card for Examples and Explanations. I do not intend to study them deeply, merely read for a feel of the language and themes.
which ones? E&E Torts, Civ Pro and Property were all pretty good.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Mark71121 wrote:
GreenHeels wrote:Caved and used birthday Amazon gift card for Examples and Explanations. I do not intend to study them deeply, merely read for a feel of the language and themes.
Con Law and Crim Law. I'll get the Civ Pro when I get to town next week and the second semester stuff over winter break (unless I decide between now and then they are not as helpful as I've thought).

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

GreenHeels wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:
Con Law and Crim Law. I'll get the Civ Pro when I get to town next week and the second semester stuff over winter break (unless I decide between now and then they are not as helpful as I've thought).
yeah i haven't read those two so i can't really comment on them. definitely get dressler's "understanding" for crim and chemerinsky for conlaw. who are your profs?

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:03 pm

You guys might want to hold off on buying the hornbooks for a bit...many professors have ones that they specifically recommend for their class and it might be useful to compare the different styles, depending on your preferences.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:24 pm

So Georgetown has/had around 450-500 full time students and ~150 part time students. These stats take into account both. I could be wrong, but is it not safe to say that the full time students place better than the part time? If so, does anyone have any idea of what percentage of only the full time JD students at Georgetown place in the NLJ 250?

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Profs are:

Section 1

Fall Semester
Schrag - CivPro
Stromseth, Cashin, Jackson, or Dinh - ConLaw
Ristroph - CrimLaw
Girard, Henke - Legal Research

Spring Semester
Peller - Contracts
Byrne - Property
Spann - Torts

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 pm

On an unrelated subject:

I am reduced, due to a sooner-than-anticipated moving date, beseeching any GULC students (or really anyone, we're too desperate for schoolist thinking) who might be in the D.C. area to help us throw around a frig, TV, etc, into the house once we hit town.

In return for your efforts, you will be treated to burgers, beer, and sparkling personalities (assuming we have the requisite amount of beer), as well as deep appreciation and, say, an outline at the end of the semester.

We'll be in the area around noon Saturday and will probably be working on the place all day. Anyone, anytime, is welcome. Grill can run continuously.

Thanks for your early support of a grateful colleague (who will have a happier wife to boot).

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:30 pm

GreenHeels wrote:On an unrelated subject:

I am reduced, due to a sooner-than-anticipated moving date, beseeching any GULC students (or really anyone, we're too desperate for schoolist thinking) who might be in the D.C. area to help us throw around a frig, TV, etc, into the house once we hit town.

In return for your efforts, you will be treated to burgers, beer, and sparkling personalities (assuming we have the requisite amount of beer), as well as deep appreciation and, say, an outline at the end of the semester.

We'll be in the area around noon Saturday and will probably be working on the place all day. Anyone, anytime, is welcome. Grill can run continuously.

Thanks for your early support of a grateful colleague (who will have a happier wife to boot).
I won't be in town yet, but there's probably someone/some service for hire on Craigslist that you could use (if all else fails) for practically nothing. Worried about this myself...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:38 pm

GreenHeels wrote:Profs are:

Section 1

Fall Semester
Schrag - CivPro
Ristroph - CrimLaw

Spring Semester
Peller - Contracts
Byrne - Property
Spann - Torts
Oh, dear god. We had Peller for Bargain (combined torts & k) and let's just say that I didn't really understand a lick of contract law.... Poor §1!

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:15 am

hefferlump wrote:

Section 1

Fall Semester
Schrag - CivPro
Ristroph - CrimLaw

Spring Semester
Peller - Contracts
Byrne - Property
Spann - Torts
Oh, dear god. We had Peller for Bargain (combined torts & k) and let's just say that I didn't really understand a lick of contract law.... Poor §1!
Rate my professor has me scared of Schrag. His book was suggested for summer reading, and I think I'm gonna read it. Dinh's was too actually. I'm getting the feeling that we may have gotten the short straw on teachers from what I've seen. Anyone else looked up their future profs yet?

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:39 am

I've checked out mine, and the only scary one seems to be Abernathy (for Civ Pro, no less).

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:01 am

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:
hefferlump wrote:

Section 1

Fall Semester
Schrag - CivPro
Ristroph - CrimLaw

Spring Semester
Peller - Contracts
Byrne - Property
Spann - Torts
Rate my professor has me scared of Schrag. His book was suggested for summer reading, and I think I'm gonna read it. Dinh's was too actually. I'm getting the feeling that we may have gotten the short straw on teachers from what I've seen. Anyone else looked up their future profs yet?
Where are you finding these suggestions for summer reading?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:09 am

Just got an email today about orientation. It was in there. Nothing substantive. Two books written by law profs.

Roo

New

Post by Roo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:22 pm

FYI - the ConLaw book we're supposed to buy is new (sixth edition - 2009) so there are no used ones available. At the Georgetown bookstore its $159. It's available from Barristerbooks.com for $155, and if you order by tomorrow you can use the coupon code FB4257 to get another 5 percent off. So you save yourself about 10 bucks + free shipping. Not much but I thought I'd share anyway...

--LinkRemoved--

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Does anyone know if our LRW is graded? Maybe I'm just totally inept, but I haven't been able to find out anywhere.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:04 am

npe wrote:Does anyone know if our LRW is graded? Maybe I'm just totally inept, but I haven't been able to find out anywhere.
I am pretty sure it's pass/fail, but don't hold me to it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”