GULC '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
GreenHeels

New

Re: GULC '12

Post by GreenHeels » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:27 am

I gotta say, some of my momentary excitement at having pro teams in the city I live in was vaporized as I thought more deeply about the resident clubs. Wizards. Redskins. Nationals. Ouch. On the upside, I can scope out Cleveland, LeBron, Shaq (and as of last night's draft, my fellow Tar Heel Danny Green) when they blow through town. Bet on Cleveland in 2010.

Sox21

New

Post by Sox21 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:16 am

A. RED Sox. B. Yes I turned down NU for GULC and it didn't bother me as much as turning down Penn but I still think I made the best decision. C. I like argyle too.

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 am

I gotta say, some of my momentary excitement at having pro teams in the city I live in was vaporized as I thought more deeply about the resident clubs. Wizards. Redskins. Nationals.
Yes, but you've also got the Caps. Not to mention the Hoyas, though last season is one many of us would like to forget from the JTIII era.

AceOfDiamonds

New

Post by AceOfDiamonds » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:20 pm

Sox21 wrote:A. RED Sox.
You are officially an awesome human being.
Nice to know there will be others in GULC to party hard with once Boston inevitably wins the 2009 World Series.

TheIllogicalReasoner

New

Post by TheIllogicalReasoner » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Are there any secrets to finding housing in DC where I won't get mugged?

A very nice lady at the GULC housing office told me on the phone yesterday that I should be fine with the neighborhoods in which I'm looking (not bad ones either, I thought) just so long as I "didn't look afraid"

...seriously

and im on a tight budget, living with 2 non-law students who can't spend as much as my expenses allow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:35 pm

I also turned down NU for GULC. Go us! Now we wait for youpiiz to get her acceptance from NYU and turn it down for GULC.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:39 pm

TheIllogicalReasoner wrote:Are there any secrets to finding housing in DC where I won't get mugged?
Ok, here it is....are you ready?

Live in Arlington. :P Seriously, DC is a big city, and while some areas are sketchier than others, none of them are perfectly safe. I think as long as you're smart about it you'll be fine. What areas are you looking in right now? Note that I'm not all that familiar with DC, which is part of the reason I chose to live in the dorms, so if someone comes along and disagrees with me, follow their advice.

AceOfDiamonds

New

Post by AceOfDiamonds » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Splitt3r wrote: Live in Arlington. :P
I lived in Crystal City (a part of Arlington near Ronald Reagan Int'l Airport) for a year, and I never felt threatened. I'd definitely recommend Arlington if you're not living on-campus (as it's nearly as close to GULC via metro as other areas inside DC would be.)

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm not from D.C., and I'm living in Gewirz, so I know nothing, but I have a few friends that live in or around Silver Spring. It's relatively close, but more importantly it's on the Red Line. So you won't have to transfer on your commute (unlike Arlington, I think? Not really sure). From what I've heard there's a nice little downtown with a good theater (the AFI Silver). I'm not sure where I'll live after the first year, but Silver Spring is high on my list.

Edit: theater, not thater

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bethere

New

Post by bethere » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Silver Spring, Rockville, Bethesda, and Chevy Chase are all right on the red line and extremely safe. In DC itself most of North West DC is fine, everywhere else tends to vary a lot from block to block with the exception of South East which you probably do not want to live in.

titles

New

Post by titles » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Anyone know about the area half a mile to a mile north/northeast of campus, say around New York Av, Capitol, R St. and T St.? I haven't seen any boarded up windows on google streetview, which I use as a crude litmus test for crime.

There are some reasonably priced townhomes in the area. :mrgreen:

titles

New

Post by titles » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:04 pm

AceOfDiamonds wrote:
Nice to know there will be others in GULC to party hard with once Boston inevitably wins the 2009 World Series.
I hate that Tampa is in the AL East. It's the BIGLaw of MLB. Big time spending.

None of DC's franchises are great right now, but c'mon, the Redskins are pretty legit and one of America's most storied/beloved teams. Try getting tickets to that no matter how bad Snyder makes the team.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:26 pm

titles wrote:
AceOfDiamonds wrote:
I hate that Tampa is in the AL East. It's the BIGLaw of MLB. Big time spending.

None of DC's franchises are great right now, but c'mon, the Redskins are pretty legit and one of America's most storied/beloved teams. Try getting tickets to that no matter how bad Snyder makes the team.

Ovey disagrees.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

titles

New

Post by titles » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Ovey is probably right. I'm from NC/Florida, though. I like the sun.

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:50 pm

titles wrote:Anyone know about the area half a mile to a mile north/northeast of campus, say around New York Av, Capitol, R St. and T St.? I haven't seen any boarded up windows on google streetview, which I use as a crude litmus test for crime.

There are some reasonably priced townhomes in the area. :mrgreen:
Not a very good area. Not the worst. But certainly not very good. I would say slightly worse than the area that CUA is in, but on the plus side it is very close to campus. I wouldn't do it unless you are EXTREMELY close to NY Ave or Rhode Island metro station. Also, make sure you go and see for yourself because I don't know your standards.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:58 pm

As a former resident of some fairly sketch areas, the section you asked about I have found to be fairly productive in our house search. We are committed to finding a stand-alone home, which often means sacrificing something in terms of the roughness of the neighborhood. I have looked at a number of houses in that area and have been interested in a few. I agree that anything near the Rhode Island metro is a good spot to be looking into.

AceOfDiamonds

New

Post by AceOfDiamonds » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:27 am

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from GULC regarding registering, class schedules, any kind of news? (I was expecting an update in late June?)
Sometimes the long waits between updates leaves me wondering...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:25 am

^ The only thing you should have received so far is all of the netID/UID information. GU (undergrad) was also quite slow, with most of us getting our orientation packets in July. Don't worry about it. You don't officially "register" until you show up for orientation (since we don't get to pick our classes, only the curriculum type). You don't get a choice of professor this time around, it's whoever they give to you. Orientation info is on the admitted students site.

poker1928

New

Post by poker1928 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:48 am

Has anyone's loan application been processed yet? Seems to be taking awhile..

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:38 am

Does anyone have numbers on how many people actually participate in the Write On? Well more specifically, how many actually complete it? Just wondering...

moorman75

New

Post by moorman75 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Does anybody know when the loan $$ shows up?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AdCommie

New

Post by AdCommie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I think the general understanding ITT is that FinAid at GULC is running very behind. Just have your applications and blue sheet in order.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:02 pm

My understanding is funds become available 10 days prior to the start of classes. Depending on which date they mark that (the first major orientation day or the literal first day of classroom classes), the funds should be available anywhere between the 16th to the 21st (of August).

Don't think I haven't noticed tuition due the 27th of July. My guess is if there's an expectation that this will be covered by federal funding, this will be noted in the file and no delay or hiccups in the process.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:50 pm

GreenHeels wrote:My understanding is funds become available 10 days prior to the start of classes. Depending on which date they mark that (the first major orientation day or the literal first day of classroom classes), the funds should be available anywhere between the 16th to the 21st (of August).

Don't think I haven't noticed tuition due the 27th of July. My guess is if there's an expectation that this will be covered by federal funding, this will be noted in the file and no delay or hiccups in the process.
Yeah, if I recall correctly, at the Open House, they said that the reason we should fill out the loan stuff by June 1st is so that they can automatically grant us an extension on tuition payment until the funds come in from lenders. Filling it out and submitting it later might lead to more paperwork, but didn't preclude anything.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:20 pm

2L here: gulc's "preferred lender," T.H.E., went out of business recently. i'm guessing a bunch of current students were using T.H.E. and were forced to reapply for loans with another lender. i'm guessing that's the cause of the financial aid traffic jam for you 0Ls

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”