When is it appropriate to use "Esq." Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mrman17

New

When is it appropriate to use "Esq."

Post by mrman17 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 am

Do I have to pass the bar (Florida) before I can use the title "Esquire?" Is it something we can use immediately after graduation? I can't seem to find anything authoritative on the matter. Thank you.
Last edited by mrman17 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indifferent

Bronze

Re: When is it appropriate to use "Esq."

Post by Indifferent » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 am

Why on Earth would you want to use "Esq." without being a licensed attorney at all.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 am

I am just wondering when I should add it to my name on my resume, Linkedin page, etc. I may not want to practice law after I graduate, but I would still like to use the title if possible. Either way, I am still planning on taking the bar in July.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 am

In the USA, anybody can use "Esq." It's not limited to lawyers, just commonly used by lawyers.

-Kikero, Esq.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 am

mrman17 wrote:I am just wondering when I should add it to my name on my resume, Linkedin page, etc. I may not want to practice law after I graduate, but I would still like to use the title if possible. Either way, I am still planning on taking the bar in July.
What the fuck?

The only time it is appropriate to use ,esq. is if you're signing off on a legal document or, in some cases, a demand letter. Otherwise, it's a title for douchebags.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:12 am

There was a case in Florida not long ago that dealt with the potential misuse of "Esq." Too lazy to google.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 am

No. I've seen the titled used all over the place lately. In an economy like this, there is nothing wrong with dressing up your name with a few extra titles. I used to think "Esq." was douchy, but now I've seen a lot of respectable, non-douche lawyers using it. Seems that the title only seems "douchy" to law students.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 am

justonemoregame wrote:ok, here it is

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/04/01/fl ... f-esquire/
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:18 am

it is always inappropriate.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:22 am

justonemoregame wrote:ok, here it is

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/04/01/fl ... f-esquire/
Florida's weird. Every shitlaw office I've ever seen in Florida has a sign outside with "Esq" on it. I would assume that if you are some random person who just likes to put Esq. after their name but is clearly not engaged in legal work, you'd be fine (again, maybe not in Florida). However, it might pose a problem for OP because it could be inferred from his use of Esq. on a resume that he is claiming to be a lawyer.

TL;DR: Don't be a douche, stay away from Esq.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 am

I talked to attorney, who has had his own practice for over 30 years, about why some choose to use "esquire" as their title. He said, "because they are idiots."
true story.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:44 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:I talked to attorney, who has had his own practice for over 30 years, about why some choose to use "esquire" as their title. He said, "because they are idiots."
true story.
LOL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 am

I'm going to use it once I get my monocle.

dbrown

New

Post by dbrown » Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 am

I have no opinion about whether you should use Esq or not. But to avoid appearing that you are holding yourself out as an attorney before becoming barred, it may be better just to use J.D. behind your name.

drgonzo

New

Post by drgonzo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 am

FWIW, most common thing friends said upon bar passage a few weeks ago: "Well, it's official, I am now John Doe, Esq."

Bear in mind this was for Facebook posts and not for actual use. In my experience (also Florida), you see licensed attorneys in marginal positions using Esq. suffix, such as non-faculty law school staff, westlaw salesmen, attorneys who deal with people walking in off the street, people giving CLEs in non-substantive subjects, etc.

I generally would avoid because it is distasteful, and raises the specter of holding yourself out; and here because you're expressly trying to embellish your resume.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:13 am

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:41 am

When you've inherited or been granted the title
Esquire — A rank next below that of Knight.
- The eldest sons of knights, and their eldest sons in perpetual succession
- The eldest sons of younger sons of peers, and their eldest sons in perpetual succession
- Esquires created by letters patent or other investiture, and their eldest sons
- Esquires of knights constituted at their investiture
- Foreign noblemen

rf2000

New

Post by rf2000 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:42 am

With reference to what i understand as a nobility title. For example: Esq, above a gentleman or Sir is this not the case.

The U.S. Constitution forbids aristocratic titles. The Articles of Confederation state that: "nor shall the United States in Congress assembled, or any of them, grant any title of nobility."

This came from some ready and I don't mind being correct if its constructive.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 am

A few years ago I got into an unpleasant back-n-forth with someone and in my [letter] correspondence I cc: to a fictitious name, John Dillinger, esq. They immediately contacted me and apologetically resolved the issue without my mentioning law suit or lawyer. Point: Esq. does have its merits.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:55 am

It's commonly used once you become an attorney.

I don't know why all these posters seem to think lawyers don't use it as a title. Myself, and every other lawyer I know uses it on all pleadings and letters...anything related to practice. If you don't have "Esq." after your name on pleading a judge will probably wonder if you have any business signing the pleading. It clears things up and explains who you are in relation to the matter in tree simple letters.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am

mrman17 wrote:No. I've seen the titled used all over the place lately. In an economy like this, there is nothing wrong with dressing up your name with a few extra titles. I used to think "Esq." was douchy, but now I've seen a lot of respectable, non-douche lawyers using it. Seems that the title only seems "douchy" to law students.
I'm a practicing attorney, and I think it's extremely douchy.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am

silenttimer wrote: I'm a practicing attorney, and I think it's extremely douchy.
And the name of your firm is what again? Yeah, right.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:12 am

Sheffield wrote:
silenttimer wrote: I'm a practicing attorney, and I think it's extremely douchy.
I'm at a v-50 firm, and I'm typically on the interview committee for lateral candidates, as well as summer associates. If I ever see "Esq." on the person's resume, I would think the person is douchy. We know you are a lawyer, that's why we're giving you an interview. No need to use "Esq." -- just as lawyers typically do not use "Esq." when filing court papers. I also think it's extremely douchy to use latin phrases in legal writing when the equivalent english phrase would convey the same meaning.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am

silenttimer wrote:
Sheffield wrote:
I'm at a v-50 firm, and I'm typically on the interview committee for lateral candidates, as well as summer associates. If I ever see "Esq." on the person's resume, I would think the person is douchy. We know you are a lawyer, that's why we're giving you an interview. No need to use "Esq." -- just as lawyers typically do not use "Esq." when filing court papers. I also think it's extremely douchy to use latin phrases in legal writing when the equivalent english phrase would convey the same meaning.
Not a tough question... again, what is the name of your firm? Flame and what?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”