When is it appropriate to use "Esq." Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
silenttimer

Bronze

Re: When is it appropriate to use "Esq."

Post by silenttimer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:29 am

Sheffield wrote:
silenttimer wrote:
Sheffield wrote:
silenttimer wrote: I'm a practicing attorney, and I think it's extremely douchy.
And the name of your firm is what again? Yeah, right.
I'm at a v-50 firm, and I'm typically on the interview committee for lateral candidates, as well as summer associates. If I ever see "Esq." on the person's resume, I would think the person is douchy. We know you are a lawyer, that's why we're giving you an interview. No need to use "Esq." -- just as lawyers typically do not use "Esq." when filing court papers. I also think it's extremely douchy to use latin phrases in legal writing when the equivalent english phrase would convey the same meaning.
Not a tough question... again, what is the name of your firm?
For obvious reasons I'm not going to disclosed the name of my firm, just as I wouldn't ask you to disclose your real name. But perhaps you wouldn't mind pm-ing your real name, just in case your resume ever come across my desk.

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 am

silenttimer wrote:[I'm at a v-50 firm, and I'm typically on the interview committee for lateral candidates, as well as summer associates. If I ever see "Esq." on the person's resume, I would think the person is douchy. We know you are a lawyer, that's why we're giving you an interview. No need to use "Esq." -- just as lawyers typically do not use "Esq." when filing court papers. I also think it's extremely douchy to use latin phrases in legal writing when the equivalent english phrase would convey the same meaning.
I'm also at a vault ranked firm and I can confirm, no one does this in practice. People know you're a lawyer when your letter comes on the firm letterhead. People know you have a legal resume because, ya know, it says you graduated from a law school and are a member of XYZ bars.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:37 am

silenttimer wrote: For obvious reasons this being a giant flame I'm not going to disclosed the name of my firm, just as I wouldn't ask you to disclose your real name. But perhaps you wouldn't mind pm-ing your real name, just in case your resume ever come across my desk located in a tiny room in my trailer.
Oh yeah, you might want to correct all your typos…. you being at a V-50 and all. :roll:

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Sheffield wrote:Oh yeah, you might want to correct all your typos…. you being at a V-50 and all. :roll:
Yes, you're the type that should write "Esq." after your name.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:23 pm

reverendt wrote:If you don't have "Esq." after your name on pleading a judge will probably wonder if you have any business signing the pleading. It clears things up and explains who you are in relation to the matter in tree simple letters.
Don't phrases like Counsel for the [Party] and [State] Bar No. also serve this function?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 pm

My uncle says it's stupid. His friends, jokingly, refer to him as esquire, but I've never known him to sign anything with it. I thought that was the rule: others can refer to a person as esquire, but one should never sign or refer to himself as esquire?

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 pm

exitoptions wrote:
Sheffield wrote:Oh yeah, you might want to correct all your typos…. you being at a V-50 and all. :roll:
Yes, you're the type that should write "Esq." after your name.
What is this, giant pretend to work at a nameless V50 flame day?
Last edited by Sheffield on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:27 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
reverendt wrote:If you don't have "Esq." after your name on pleading a judge will probably wonder if you have any business signing the pleading. It clears things up and explains who you are in relation to the matter in tree simple letters.
Don't phrases like Counsel for the [Party] and [State] Bar No. also serve this function?
Sure they do.

I dunno.....I just randomly pulled up a bunch of cases from my county's online court docket. Every complaint or answer that I saw was signed: "[attorney name], Esq." (or Esquire).
Every correspondance I get from an attorney (and I get alot, from many different attornys) is signed "[attorney name], Esq.

The folks here who claim that's "douchy"....I don't know what planet they practice on, but in Pennsylvania, attorneys sign their name with Esquire.

Understand, I'm not talking about the actual, handwritten signature. I'm talking about the printed name under the signature.

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Sheffield wrote:What is this, giant pretend to work at a nameless V50 flame day?
You out your name and school and then I'll tell you the name of my firm. And then I'll see what I can do about getting you a job in Biglaw. Promise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:38 pm

reverendt wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
Sure they do.

I dunno.....I just randomly pulled up a bunch of cases from my county's online court docket. Every complaint or answer that I saw was signed: "[attorney name], Esq." (or Esquire).
Every correspondance I get from an attorney (and I get alot, from many different attornys) is signed "[attorney name], Esq.

The folks here who claim that's "douchy"....I don't know what planet they practice on, but in Pennsylvania, attorneys sign their name with Esquire.

Understand, I'm not talking about the actual, handwritten signature. I'm talking about the printed name under the signature.
It's probably regional. Where I am (not Pennsylvania, nowhere near Pennsylvania), attorneys don't do this.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:39 pm

exitoptions wrote:
Sheffield wrote:What is this, giant pretend to work at a nameless V50 flame day?
You out your name and school and then I'll tell you the name of my firm. And then I'll see what I can do about getting you a job in Biglaw. Promise.
I would just ignore him, this kid has a history of being a major troll.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:42 pm

reverendt wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
Sure they do.

+100%. You nailed it, that’s the way it works. The flamers who claim otherwise have never stepped into a law school and couldn’t find a law firm with a GPS.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 pm

reverendt wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
Sure they do.

The above poster may be right that it might be regional, but in any event, I can't find many "Esq." here: http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/terms/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Sheffield wrote:+100%. You nailed it, that’s the way it works.
Except in my district, where no one uses Esq.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Well I think we have an answer. It must be regional.

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:11 pm

reverendt wrote:Well I think we have an answer. It must be regional.
Some regions are douchy?

I do recall looking at some Pennsylvania cases and they use a lot of that old lawyery language (e.g. "Comes now ...")

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm

silenttimer wrote:The above poster may be right that it might be regional, but in any event, I can't find many "Esq." here: http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/terms/
:lol: Seriously, you are using the net?? What, Radio Shack didn’t bundle LexisNexis with your keyboard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Sheffield wrote:
silenttimer wrote:The above poster may be right that it might be regional, but in any event, I can't find many "Esq." here: http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/terms/
:lol: Seriously, you are using the net?? What, Radio Shack didn’t bundle LexisNexis with your keyboard.
Just so you know, when you troll people you're supposed to try to be funny. Statements like this just make you sound like an idiot.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:46 pm

exitoptions wrote: Just so you know, when you troll people you're supposed to try to be funny. Statements like this just make you sound like an idiot.
I thought it was humorous enough that you are pretending to somehow be connected to the legal field. Since you have no clue about LexisNexus… you and your flame clown friend silenttimer are busted.

The good news is that you are both now on ignore... feel free to go back to your pretend law firm. :lol:

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:57 pm

exitoptions wrote:
reverendt wrote:Well I think we have an answer. It must be regional.
Some regions are douchy?

I do recall looking at some Pennsylvania cases and they use a lot of that old lawyery language (e.g. "Comes now ...")
This is true. Of course, having only practiced in PA, I wasn't other that other places DON'T use that language.

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:50 pm

mrman17 wrote:I am just wondering when I should add it to my name on my resume, Linkedin page, etc. I may not want to practice law after I graduate, but I would still like to use the title if possible. Either way, I am still planning on taking the bar in July.
I’d personally cool it with Linkedin and resumes, but once hired, it is 100% okay and probably expected.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”