Engineering Applicants 2010

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ApexChaser

Re: Engineering Applicants 2010

Postby ApexChaser » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Bump from the past. :D

How goes the patent bar studying for people?

I'm signed up for Tuesday but I'm a bit doubtful of my prospects. I can do the old exams but searching up the MPEP for facts I don't know is taking a lot longer than it should.

roofles

Postby roofles » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:39 pm

ApexChaser wrote:Bump from the past. :D

How goes the patent bar studying for people?

I'm signed up for Tuesday but I'm a bit doubtful of my prospects. I can do the old exams but searching up the MPEP for facts I don't know is taking a lot longer than it should.

If you aren't already, try searching for exact phrases from the question or answers. Most are verbatim recitations found in the MPEP and can be quickly referenced.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Bump from the semi-recent past :)

Do you guys think the so-called engineering boost in applications (re: engineering being another soft factor) comes from the fact that adcomms recognize your major was grade deflated/rigorous/sometimes more rare, or because schools are simply looking to boost their IP quotas?

Similarly, are there any engineers out there that didn't reference patent law in their PS? Did it hurt you?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:49 pm

czelede wrote:Bump from the semi-recent past :)

Do you guys think the so-called engineering boost in applications (re: engineering being another soft factor) comes from the fact that adcomms recognize your major was grade deflated/rigorous/sometimes more rare, or because schools are simply looking to boost their IP quotas?

Similarly, are there any engineers out there that didn't reference patent law in their PS? Did it hurt you?

I don't think schools expect you to know or discuss your plans, even if you are an engineer. Not mentioning patent law in your PS certainly won't hurt you.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Can't comment on not referencing patent law in the PS (as I certainly mentioned an interest in IP law), but to your first question I think your latter answer is closer to the truth. The fact that few engineers apply to law school makes us a valuable commodity, and schools recognize that having a diverse group of students not only makes their school look better but also positively influences the education of the students (more backgrounds --> more ideas --> more discussion). I do not think that there are "quotas," though.

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:52 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:

Can't comment on not referencing patent law in the PS (as I certainly mentioned an interest in IP law), but to your first question I think your latter answer is closer to the truth. The fact that few engineers apply to law school makes us a valuable commodity, and schools recognize that having a diverse group of students not only makes their school look better but also positively influences the education of the students (more backgrounds --> more ideas --> more discussion). I do not think that there are "quotas," though.

So you think law schools like engineers for the boost in IP hiring? I did get the feeling that engineering is valuable because of its relative diversity, I'm just curious as to whether that value comes from fostering more diverse discussion or attracting more IP firms (re: whether there is a greater value on contribution to the student body vs. contribution to corporate relations/hiring).

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:15 am

czelede wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

So you think law schools like engineers for the boost in IP hiring? I did get the feeling that engineering is valuable because of its relative diversity, I'm just curious as to whether that value comes from fostering more diverse discussion or attracting more IP firms (re: whether there is a greater value on contribution to the student body vs. contribution to corporate relations/hiring).

While it's all speculation, my cynical thought process leads me to believe the "boost" is less than altruistic. If they take small hit to their LSAT and GPA to admit me (which my school did for me), but they have a guy with a guaranteed six figure job ITE to pad their employment prospects (Most of us can go into patent prosecution without a hitch if we don't totally crash and burn), then there's a net gain in US News rankings a fwe years down the road.

So, yup. Boost in IP hiring, and more specifically, in private sector $$$$ hiring, much more so than any conversation about diversity. It's all about USNWR. At least in my opinion.

edit: patent law personal statement (yes, writing one of these is indeed a good idea unless you have something that sells you better, which you probably don't)+ early application + "experience with patents" seems to be the magic formula based on my above logic and my own results. I got in with 2 sub-median #s at a few schools, and hit several T14 waitlists (even lasted through second reserve at CLS) with a 165/3.5 and nothing otherwise special about my application.

boilerjohn94

Postby boilerjohn94 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Happy to find this thread, even though I will be applying for 2011. I am a ChemE, had a 3.44 in undergrad, but I have been out of school for 16 years. I have worked as an engineer (basically doing EE work now) and never found it fulfilling or terribly interesting/challenging.
I'll be taking the LSAT in October and applying ASAP after that (assuming I don't bomb).

slotwide

Postby slotwide » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:59 pm

ChE applicant here applying for 2011, trying to land somewhere in the T14 applying early with 3.3/170. Struggling with a good topic for my ps because I don't think i necessarily want to work in patents.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”