Engineering Applicants 2010

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stratocophic

Re: Engineering Applicants 2010

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Mechanical Engineering BE finishing up at Vanderbilt, 3.2/175

Deciding between $ at Vandy (in negotiation with them, if they're amenable to my email) and $$$ at WUSTL. Probably would have been into a T14 or three instead of WLed had I applied in September instead of late January.

silly 101, apply early. You'll either be a weak candidate or a splitter, so kill the LSAT. WLs are common for splitters, but I've heard that it's common to be accepted off WLs during the summer. Won't make a difference for me unless money's involved or CLS or maybe Michigan comes knocking.

weee

Postby weee » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Just Checking in here, BS/MS EE still deciding between U Michigan and UCLA

5+ years work experience in Aerospace mostly focused on electronics

Asked a current patent attorney what he used to study for patent bar and he pointed me to PLI, told me it's pricey but from those he surveyed when looking for prep materials said it's the best and he used it and passed. I ordered it and it should be in my hands any day now. I don't mind paying the extra buck to be well directed in my study time as I'm still working up until the week before school starts (with some travel sprinkled in for relaxation's sake)

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:07 pm

stratocophic wrote:Mechanical Engineering BE finishing up at Vanderbilt, 3.2/175

Deciding between $ at Vandy (in negotiation with them, if they're amenable to my email) and $$$ at WUSTL. Probably would have been into a T14 or three instead of WLed had I applied in September instead of late January.

silly 101, apply early. You'll either be a weak candidate or a splitter, so kill the LSAT. WLs are common for splitters, but I've heard that it's common to be accepted off WLs during the summer. Won't make a difference for me unless money's involved or CLS or maybe Michigan comes knocking.

+1. If you want a holistic evaluation of your app, get it in while they have the time to read it (i.e., september). I got into Fordham with 2 below median numbers way back in November. I strongly feel that if I applied in December, I'd have been sent to either the reject pile or a waitlist.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 pm

tesoro wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Mechanical Engineering BE finishing up at Vanderbilt, 3.2/175

+1. If you want a holistic evaluation of your app, get it in while they have the time to read it (i.e., september). I got into Fordham with 2 below median numbers way back in November. I strongly feel that if I applied in December, I'd have been sent to either the reject pile or a waitlist.

+ so so many. Apply early. I sent in all of my apps by mid-October, and sincerely believe that I wouldn't have been as fortunate had I applied later.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:10 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
tesoro wrote:

+ so so many. Apply early. I sent in all of my apps by mid-October, and sincerely believe that I wouldn't have been as fortunate had I applied later.

Abandon all hope, ye who apply [strike]late[/strike] not early

weee

Postby weee » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 am

stratocophic wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
tesoro wrote:

Abandon all hope, ye who apply [strike]late[/strike] not early

I applied late and basically I think it killed my chance at reaches, at places where my numbers were in range I got in, but maybe got less $$ than I would hope for.

I also got my PLI prep materials today and did the "precourse." I was surprised at how heavy the box was, but considering how much money I spent, I expect no less than the kitchen sink to be thrown at me. I'm keeping a log of how much time I'm spending studying/watching the material and I'll log how my practice test scores are going, just to log what it takes for someone starting from scratch, if anyone is interested I'll share when I hit some milestones

nashvillestar

Postby nashvillestar » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:51 am

I am currently in a graduate engineering program and I have been accepted to some T-20 schools. I am not sure if I should dropout of my engineering program and start law school or finish my program here and start law school next year. I am planning to work for big law in software patents. If anyone has done research in this area and know what big law firms are looking for in aspect to hiring patent lawyers, please comment!

My UG GPA isn't very good, so I figured a 4.0 from graduate school (which I am sitting on) would allow me to redeem my misery.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:53 am

nashvillestar wrote:I am currently in a graduate engineering program and I have been accepted to some T-20 schools. I am not sure if I should dropout of my engineering program and start law school or finish my program here and start law school next year. I am planning to work for big law in software patents. If anyone has done research in this area and know what big law firms are looking for in aspect to hiring patent lawyers, please comment!

My UG GPA isn't very good, so I figured a 4.0 from graduate school (which I am sitting on) would allow me to redeem my misery.

Stick with the program. A graduate degree will make you more marketable to a firm, as clients will like the fact that you are more knowledgeable about their field. This is less true for software though than, say, biotech or pharma.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 am

weee wrote:Just Checking in here, BS/MS EE still deciding between U Michigan and UCLA

5+ years work experience in Aerospace mostly focused on electronics

Asked a current patent attorney what he used to study for patent bar and he pointed me to PLI, told me it's pricey but from those he surveyed when looking for prep materials said it's the best and he used it and passed. I ordered it and it should be in my hands any day now. I don't mind paying the extra buck to be well directed in my study time as I'm still working up until the week before school starts (with some travel sprinkled in for relaxation's sake)

Get yours secondhand off ebay, unless its too late, then sell your on ebay. I bought one for 550.00 and will prob sell it for about the same. I dont get the guarantee, but thats cool. I'll just study my ass off to make sure I pass it the first time...

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 am

Desert Fox wrote:
matrix637 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
matrix637 wrote:Biomedical engineering here....Do you guys plan on taking the patent bar before law school and if so what prep course are you using? PatBar, PLI or BarBri?

I might try self study. The prep options seems excessively expensive.

I think MPEP is too lengthy/complicated to try and study it by yourself.... but props if you can get through it without spending any money on a prep course. there are some really helpful free outlines avaiable online. you might wannna check them out

I haven't started yet so I may end up resorting to the study aids. I've seen the free outlines and that is what I was going to use. The only reason I'm being a cheap ass is because every dollar of savings I spend is one that is going to be borrowed for law school.

Guys, don't waste your money on a prep course for this! Patent bar is nothing like the LSAT, in fact, if you did all the patent bar exams from the past, you already know the answer to around 40%-50% of the questions thats gonna be on your exam (I can't believe they recycle questions when i took it). For the remaining 50%-60%, You only need to know what section of MPEP a particular subject matter falls under and search that section. Plus, they gave you six hours to do 100 questions.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:58 pm

zreinhar wrote:Get yours secondhand off ebay, unless its too late, then sell your on ebay. I bought one for 550.00 and will prob sell it for about the same. I dont get the guarantee, but thats cool. I'll just study my ass off to make sure I pass it the first time...

+1 Bought the full PLI course with DVD's and CD's on ebay. FYI, the PLI DVD's are literally the instructor talking in front of a blue background. He does seem quite thorough on things though; I'm only on hour 5 of the course though.

And this engineering app. is done. GWU, so I'll see anyone else out there in the Fall.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Does anyone know how much passing the patent bar before school will help in possibly getting an 1L summer job?

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone know how much passing the patent bar before school will help in possibly getting an 1L summer job?

Fox, me and you seem to frequent the same threads.... but thats a really rough question to answer. The best answer is that it will make you much more appealing in that if someone is looking to hire a 1L, theyll look much more so at you. I am an 0L who hasnt passed the patent bar, but i have patent exp and i know a bunch of patent attorneys. I would say pre-ITE you could get a good paying 1L job, but now, I'm just not sure. Plus since youre going to NU, youre most likely to get a smaller boutique firm and they'll prob be worried you might bolt to biglaw your 2L summer anyways...

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:39 pm

zreinhar wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone know how much passing the patent bar before school will help in possibly getting an 1L summer job?

Fox, me and you seem to frequent the same threads.... but thats a really rough question to answer. The best answer is that it will make you much more appealing in that if someone is looking to hire a 1L, theyll look much more so at you. I am an 0L who hasnt passed the patent bar, but i have patent exp and i know a bunch of patent attorneys. I would say pre-ITE you could get a good paying 1L job, but now, I'm just not sure. Plus since youre going to NU, youre most likely to get a smaller boutique firm and they'll prob be worried you might bolt to biglaw your 2L summer anyways...

I think that patent bar is not a huge boon for employment, especially for summer associateships. For example, passing the patent bar =/= knowing how to prosecute a patent application or draft claims or anything within this realm. Therefore, you would still have to be trained, and one summer is not enough to both be trained and become proficient enough to contribute to the firm.

Being patent bar eligible is really the big winner here. Passing the patent bar pre-employment, not so much. Firms appear to be very willing to finance patent bar courses to incoming employees.

All of that being said, it's a nice extra feather in your cap, and most certainly will only help you if you pass it. Passing it before school is a great idea because you will never have this much free time again (assuming you're not working a soulcrushing 60+ hrs/wk job right now).

weee

Postby weee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:42 pm

tesoro wrote:
zreinhar wrote:

I think that patent bar is not a huge boon for employment, especially for summer associateships. For example, passing the patent bar =/= knowing how to prosecute a patent application or draft claims or anything within this realm. Therefore, you would still have to be trained, and one summer is not enough to both be trained and become proficient enough to contribute to the firm.

Being patent bar eligible is really the big winner here. Passing the patent bar pre-employment, not so much. Firms appear to be very willing to finance patent bar courses to incoming employees.

All of that being said, it's a nice extra feather in your cap, and most certainly will only help you if you pass it. Passing it before school is a great ideabecause you will never have this much free time again (assuming you're not working a soulcrushing 60+ hrs/wk job right now).

That's my reasoning, plus studying for two bar exams either at the same time or one after the other sounds like a drag.

Edit: Also with respect to the does it help question, I never actually considered taking the patent bar prior to school until a friend of mine and current 1L at UC Davis "highly recommended" it to me as providing an edge in job search. But to be fair he's not doing IP, so who knows

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:47 pm

zreinhar wrote: Plus since youre going to NU, youre most likely to get a smaller boutique firm and they'll prob be worried you might bolt to biglaw your 2L summer anyways...

I don't think many boutiques are scared of losing associates to biglaw. Biglaw patent practices in general, put succinctly, blow, and in many cases are simply subsumed boutiques that were bought out.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
zreinhar wrote: Plus since youre going to NU, youre most likely to get a smaller boutique firm and they'll prob be worried you might bolt to biglaw your 2L summer anyways...

I don't think many boutiques are scared of losing associates to biglaw. Biglaw patent practices in general, put succinctly, blow, and in many cases are simply subsumed boutiques that were bought out.

I was referring moreso to BigLaw GP firms with patent groups who pay alot and are more prestigous than the high paying boutiques, but I understand what youre saying. Also, if some of the people leave the boutiques to the big GP firms they have the option of going into another field of law much easier should they realize how deathly boring prep and pro is anyways

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 am

zreinhar wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

I was referring moreso to BigLaw GP firms with patent groups who pay alot and are more prestigous than the high paying boutiques, but I understand what youre saying. Also, if some of the people leave the boutiques to the big GP firms they have the option of going into another field of law much easier should they realize how deathly boring prep and pro is anyways

That would be me. I'm looking to do pat lit at a big firm. But I wanna try pro anyway to see if I like it, and for the money.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zreinhar wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

That would be me. I'm looking to do pat lit at a big firm. But I wanna try pro anyway to see if I like it, and for the money.

Prep and pro isnt bad. I enjoyed in the sense that you learn new technology and write a paper about it, time goes by fast, and you can make an assload of money doing it. You work straightforward hours and the majority of work you dont need to come in to the office to do. It's probably the easiet legal job there is. The other nice thing to it is that if you can get a big company to come to you often you can go solo and make even more money doing even less work.

gc2884

Postby gc2884 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Hey, I guess I'm late to pipe in, but thought I might as well anyways. BS & MS in ChemE, lots of work in Biotech. Going to Santa Clara as of right now, waitlisted at Emory, GWU and no word from UGA, Hastings, Davis. This application period blows my mind. I was told sending in apps early was better, but honestly I don't think it matters at all. Even though people told me that only LSATs matter, I now realize that's all that matters, very sad....oh well, I'm guessing there will be less pretentious deuche bags at SCU, which is a plus ;)

weee

Postby weee » Wed May 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Those of you studying for patent bar, how's it going? I started off strong and lost steam, been too busily worrying about where I'm going and all that. Now that it's decided, I'm going to jump right back in to the studies.

ktafive

Postby ktafive » Wed May 05, 2010 7:42 pm

M.E. reporting here. Top 10 undergrad, WE in oil and gas industry. In at Stanford

lawschoolisfun2012

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:43 pm

ChemE at Top 3 undergrad. I have been co-oping with a large chemical company for the last two years, in R&D and plant roles. Anyone else Co-op for a large company? It postpones your graduation, but how does that affect your application? Taking LSAT in October.. 3.2 UG GPA (LSAC) with upward trend, applying Fall 2010 for 2011...

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Thu May 06, 2010 12:02 pm

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:ChemE at Top 3 undergrad. I have been co-oping with a large chemical company for the last two years, in R&D and plant roles. Anyone else Co-op for a large company? It postpones your graduation, but how does that affect your application? Taking LSAT in October.. 3.2 UG GPA (LSAC) with upward trend, applying Fall 2010 for 2011...

I'm a ChemE who co-op'd as well. It won't make much of a difference (if any at all) for your law school app. But it's certainly a good thing if you jump into engineering work instead of law school.

I loved my co-op because I got to stay in school longer and got paid big $. College was fun, so why would I rush to finish?

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Thu May 06, 2010 1:35 pm

weee wrote:Those of you studying for patent bar, how's it going? I started off strong and lost steam, been too busily worrying about where I'm going and all that. Now that it's decided, I'm going to jump right back in to the studies.

I'm also trying to rebuild momentum. :oops: I spent last month traveling around the state and found many of my days at home ended up with household errands. I'm currently still on disc 2 of 8 for the PLI course. Hopefully I will still be in position to take the test before the end of June.

On another note, USPTO thinks my complete legal name-as stated on lines 1a, 1b, and submitted school transcripts-is not my complete legal name.... Fail.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”