Poll: I dropped senior thesis, now what?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

I dropped my thesis, but put it on my resume back in Sept.

I MUST report that I dropped thesis to LS's I applied to.
56%
I do not need to report it until I matric.
44%

Total votes: 48

wordword

Poll: I dropped senior thesis, now what?

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:25 am

I made another thread, but people just said that I should finish the thesis.

But, I dropped it, now what?

noname086

Re: Poll: I dropped senior thesis, now what?

Postby noname086 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:38 am

maybe just send a revised resume to schools? i mean in the end we all know it's mostly about the numbers. so your thesis was just a soft anyways. but you should still be careful and let them know you dropped the thesis.

wordword

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 am

noname086 wrote:maybe just send a revised resume to schools? i mean in the end we all know it's mostly about the numbers. so your thesis was just a soft anyways. but you should still be careful and let them know you dropped the thesis.

sounds reasonable.

i am just worried that reporting the dropped thesis will decrease my Scholly $$$ from some schools I have already gotten in at, and would love to attend if given $$$. Without the $$, I would be going to other schools I do not like as much.

noname086

Postby noname086 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:01 am

i doubt they'd take away your scholarship because you dropped your thesis. besides its not worth the risk with the bar.

wordword

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:08 am

noname086 wrote:i doubt they'd take away your scholarship because you dropped your thesis. besides its not worth the risk with the bar.

yea. i haven't got a scholly yet. but i hope to get one when the "scholarship committee" meets in January at 2 of my top choices.

i am not terribly worried about the Bar, because I was 100% honest when I applied, and the school I end up going to will find out. And when i looked at the Applications that i sent in, it did not say anything about updating Resumes, just C&F type stuff.

Those of you who voted that I do not need to update till matric, was there any rationale behind that vote other than sabotage?

njskatchmo

Postby njskatchmo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:53 am

Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wordword

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:05 am

njskatchmo wrote:hmmm, there's no "undrop thesis" option?

why? is it really going to be that big of a deal?

lilybeth

Postby lilybeth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:33 pm

I think you should have just sucked it up and finished it but the matter's done now. Just send an updated resume to those schools. I don't think they'll really care that much.

wordword

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:44 pm

lilybeth wrote:I think you should have just sucked it up and finished it but the matter's done now. Just send an updated resume to those schools. I don't think they'll really care that much.

i hope so.

wordword

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:55 pm

those of you voting, PLEASE explain. Results are closer than i thought, expecially for the TLS crowd.

I know if I call they will say that I should. But I mean, they also say that they take wholistic approaches, and that in-state students dont get a benefit, and that i should disclose the time i got disciplined in high school for pencile fighting.
Last edited by wordword on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:55 pm

was this an honor thesis?? to get top honors at your school? and did you put the title on your resume? seems wierd to put this on your resume before after completing it (but thats just my opinion). however, this "thesis" isn't going to make or break your application, but if you did tell schools your doing it and now not so much--i would notify the schools.

wordword

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 pm

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:was this an honor thesis?? to get top honors at your school? and did you put the title on your resume? seems wierd to put this on your resume before after completing it (but thats just my opinion). however, this "thesis" isn't going to make or break your application, but if you did tell schools your doing it and now not so much--i would notify the schools.

the answers to your questions are Yes. I mean, I also put that I had a B.A., but that is obviously not true yet.

edit: I am pissed at myself because the only reason I did it was to look good, and now the opposite is true. I guess I never should have done it for the wrong reason in the first place.

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:02 pm

wordword wrote:
FuturehoyaLawya wrote:was this an honor thesis?? to get top honors at your school? and did you put the title on your resume? seems wierd to put this on your resume before after completing it (but thats just my opinion). however, this "thesis" isn't going to make or break your application, but if you did tell schools your doing it and now not so much--i would notify the schools.

the answers to your questions are Yes. I mean, I also put that I had a B.A., but that is obviously not true yet.

yeah just update your resume or CV (whatever you have) and send to your schools...at this rate since your dropping stuff, probably putting that you already have a B.A. might not be the best thing to do :)

wordword

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:03 pm

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:
wordword wrote:

yeah just update your resume or CV (whatever you have) and send to your schools...at this rate since your dropping stuff, probably putting that you already have a B.A. might not be the best thing to do :)

i think that it was pretty clear that the B.A. and the 'honors' were contingent upon graduating.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Your school probably won't care about the thesis.

wordword

Postby wordword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Drake014 wrote:Your school probably won't care about the thesis.

should i just send an updated resume, or send an email directly addressing what has changed?

I have already been admitted to where I would be happy at, but I need (really really want) scholly $$ and i feel this could hurt. i am almost positive my offer would not be recinded .

lilybeth

Postby lilybeth » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:26 am

wordword wrote:

should i just send an updated resume, or send an email directly addressing what has changed?

I have already been admitted to where I would be happy at, but I need (really really want) scholly $$ and i feel this could hurt. i am almost positive my offer would not be recinded .

If you have decided that you want to notify the schools of this change (I agree it won't have a huge negative impact) then go ahead and do both: send an e-mail notifying them of what has changed, and include an updated resume in the attachment. You should be fine!

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:16 pm

wordword wrote:

An e-mail would do.

j2d3

Postby j2d3 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:20 pm

wordword wrote:those of you voting, PLEASE explain. Results are closer than i thought, expecially for the TLS crowd.

I know if I call they will say that I should. But I mean, they also say that they take wholistic approaches, and that in-state students dont get a benefit, and that i should disclose the time i got disciplined in high school for pencile fighting.

OMFG u didn't disclose that?

You might never get a job. You're gonna get kicked out of law school. You will never pass the bar.

Also, it's too late now, you already lied.

LIAR. You're going to hell, but not as a lawyer.

Withdraw your applications now. If you don't it's a felony.

Trust me, I'm a 0Lawyer.

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:47 pm

what exact words did you use to describe it on your resume.

if like this --> thesis in progress etc., then i say no need to update schools.

if like this --> thesis completed, or expected, then you should inform schools of change.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:01 am

Bump...

I'm in a similar conundrum as OP. I indicated that I was doing a thesis on my resumes. Now I'm not so sure anymore. The issue is twofold. First, the thesis topic I originally had in mind fell through. Second, I'm under unbelievable time pressure as a result to find a new topic and get a new advisor. I'm also taking a pretty legit load of classes over the next two quarters, and this could quite possibly make my life hell.

My situation is different than OP because a unique opportunity has also popped up - one of my professors is interested in giving me a position as a research assistant. This topic actually ties more into my background, which itself fed strongly into my PS and Diversity Statement.

I know for a fact I can't do both. The cons involved in dropping my thesis are that I no longer get to put it on my resume and I don't get that challenging experience. The pros are that I get to do something I'll probably be more genuinely interested in that will require less work and perhaps be an even more enriching experience.

TITCR is to update schools if I decide to switch between the two, right? Rather than sending in a resume, I'll probably just write a short addendum explaining that I dropped my thesis to do some research in my other major. I'm thinking this will soften the blow and actually perhaps look positive.

Thoughts?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:11 am

boilercat wrote:Bump...

I'm in a similar conundrum as OP. I indicated that I was doing a thesis on my resumes. Now I'm not so sure anymore. The issue is twofold. First, the thesis topic I originally had in mind fell through. Second, I'm under unbelievable time pressure as a result to find a new topic and get a new advisor. I'm also taking a pretty legit load of classes over the next two quarters, and this could quite possibly make my life hell.

My situation is different than OP because a unique opportunity has also popped up - one of my professors is interested in giving me a position as a research assistant. This topic actually ties more into my background, which itself fed strongly into my PS and Diversity Statement.

I know for a fact I can't do both. The cons involved in dropping my thesis are that I no longer get to put it on my resume and I don't get that challenging experience. The pros are that I get to do something I'll probably be more genuinely interested in that will require less work and perhaps be an even more enriching experience.

TITCR is to update schools if I decide to switch between the two, right? Rather than sending in a resume, I'll probably just write a short addendum explaining that I dropped my thesis to do some research in my other major. I'm thinking this will soften the blow and actually perhaps look positive.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the best course of action. I doubt it'll make any difference whatsoever, and the addition of the research makes it even less likely that there will even be any fallout whatsoever.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:10 am

unless you said in your application/personal statement that your statement was complete, you have little obligation to finish it. "I'm writing a thesis" is much different than "I wrote a thesis." On a personal note, you should finish it, because you may look back at your undergraduate experience and think that it was your most substantial accomplishment.

totalidiot

Postby totalidiot » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:13 am

tallboone wrote:unless you said in your application/personal statement that your statement was complete, you have little obligation to finish it. "I'm writing a thesis" is much different than "I wrote a thesis."

Credited. I listed mine as "pending" on my applications to law school and never finished it. I was working on it until the last semester, but when I ultimately decided not to do it, I didn't notify any schools because I figured it was understood under the "pending" marker that I was progressing on it; moreover, I had a professor with whom I worked on it write me a LOR, so it's not like I did no work on it or anything--the project just turned out to be too big to finish.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:24 am

Well, I used the word 'anticipated'. Hmm...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”