Minor Typo on Resume - Do I need to re-send?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
actingchick25

Minor Typo on Resume - Do I need to re-send?

Postby actingchick25 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:36 pm

I applied to a few law schools with a typo on my resume before I caught it. Basically, I put the start date of a job in 2007 rather than 2008.

I fixed it before applying to the majority of schools, but I have received admittance offers from some schools which received the faulty resume. I understand that the bar sees a copy of your application, is your resume and personal statement included?

If so, should I re-send my resume to these schools just to make sure the year is correct?

Thanks.

HJO

Re: Minor Typo on Resume - Do I need to re-send?

Postby HJO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:45 pm

I would contact those schools and speak to an admissions person, ask them what you need to do and express to them your concerns about the bar.

athena176

Postby athena176 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:40 pm

What if I did the same thing, but re: an extracurricular? Does the bar even bother investigating these?

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Call the your nearest bar member and ask.
I would say that you should send the schools an email and explain it. I can not imagine that such a trivial error, especially if disregarded by the school, would be held against you by the bar. Its not like you have simply made up the job/activity- that is real lying.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm

It depends, on their applications did you put the wrong year? If so that looks like you were being devious. If those dates are right this isn't a big deal.

brewinbruin

Postby brewinbruin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:45 am

what about a minor typo where I wrote the title of a student group as "Student xyz" rather than "Students xyz". worth calling the adcomm and correcting?

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:58 am

I have the exact same problem. Sent in half of my apps with one of my internship dates wrong. I sent them an email with the new one attatched. I dont see it being a huge deal since I wasnt complete yet. But it does make me worry that a typo could cost me acceptance. I wonder if they would have even noticed if I didnt say anything.

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:04 am

HJO wrote:I would contact those schools and speak to an admissions person, ask them what you need to do and express to them your concerns about the bar.

This is the smart thing to do. It is likely not a big deal, but if it is, whoever you talk to will probably know. Looks like it's a common offense.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:07 am

This thread is heightening my paranoia. On my resume I estimated the closest date or the date that seemed most logical to put (for, say, freelance writing). I don't think I have anything at all to be concerned over, but I'm definitely re-eyeballing my resume right now.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:09 am

Normally a typo is a very minor and ignorable thing, but since in this case it can create a significantly different impression about you (that you have one full year of work experience more than you actually do have) it's probably not a good thing, and at the worst could later result in you being accused of misrepresentation or fraud on your applications.

The advice given about contacting an adcomm at each school and asking what to do is fairly solid. They'll tell you what you need to do, and you should be able to submit a simple revised resume or an extremely brief E-mail addendum advising of the problem and apologizing for the mistake.

This probably doesn't look that good on the whole, but you will look good for taking steps to correct the mistake, and you will most certainly look better than if you get into a school based on work experience the school later discovers you didn't have.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:10 am

ec2xs wrote:This thread is heightening my paranoia. On my resume I estimated the closest date or the date that seemed most logical to put (for, say, freelance writing). I don't think I have anything at all to be concerned over, but I'm definitely re-eyeballing my resume right now.

I think the problem with the OP's position is that it's a full year off. Very minor estimations won't really hurt you. I went ahead and estimated on my resume on month/year start and end dates when I couldn't be absolutely sure but knew it was at most a month off (as in, I remember starting a job after Christmas, so it might have been December or January).

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:13 am

vanwinkle wrote:
ec2xs wrote:This thread is heightening my paranoia. On my resume I estimated the closest date or the date that seemed most logical to put (for, say, freelance writing). I don't think I have anything at all to be concerned over, but I'm definitely re-eyeballing my resume right now.

I think the problem with the OP's position is that it's a full year off. Very minor estimations won't really hurt you. I went ahead and estimated on my resume on month/year start and end dates when I couldn't be absolutely sure but knew it was at most a month off (as in, I remember starting a job after Christmas, so it might have been December or January).

Thanks for the reassurance. I've worked spotty jobs here and there for a few years now, including a lot of freelance gigs. It would be damn near impossible to track down exact months.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:17 am

Maybe mine isnt as big of a deal then. It is just a date typo. It doesnt change the amount of time a worked at all (I think it might actually give me one more week). but im talking about summer work anyway.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:20 am

quetzalcoatl wrote:Maybe mine isnt as big of a deal then. It is just a date typo. It doesnt change the amount of time a worked at all (I think it might actually give me one more week). but im talking about summer work anyway.

The thing is, I can honestly say if asked that it was the most reasonable estimate I can give, and that the mistake doesn't significantly change the amount of time I'm claiming I worked. If both of those are true it's probably not a problem. If they aren't true then it probably is a problem.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 am

vanwinkle wrote:
quetzalcoatl wrote:Maybe mine isnt as big of a deal then. It is just a date typo. It doesnt change the amount of time a worked at all (I think it might actually give me one more week). but im talking about summer work anyway.

The thing is, I can honestly say if asked that it was the most reasonable estimate I can give, and that the mistake doesn't significantly change the amount of time I'm claiming I worked. If both of those are true it's probably not a problem. If they aren't true then it probably is a problem.

Well it doesnt change the time I worked, but it was a legitimate typo. I actually saved a version that was correct but it somehow didnt stay on my flashdrive or wasnt saved correctly (im not ruling out operator error). I know it is not the correct date. I have already sent the corrected resume to the addcomms with an apology and brief explanation. Is this enough?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:30 am

quetzalcoatl wrote:Well it doesnt change the time I worked, but it was a legitimate typo. I actually saved a version that was correct but it somehow didnt stay on my flashdrive or wasnt saved correctly (im not ruling out operator error). I know it is not the correct date. I have already sent the corrected resume to the addcomms with an apology and brief explanation. Is this enough?

I think that's definitely enough. You recognized a real mistake and you corrected it already. There's nothing more you can do. It honestly isn't likely to negatively impact your admission cycle, since the original mistake doesn't change the amount of time you worked. There's no impression at all of any foul play and it doesn't really change the overall amount of work experience you have, so it won't change how they see you.

Monica66

Postby Monica66 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi everyone. I have the same problem, I put the wrong years of employment on the resume: instead of 09/07-12/07 I put 09/06-12-06. Is it a big deal? It still equals the same total amount of time. Any advice? :)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Monica66 wrote:Hi everyone. I have the same problem, I put the wrong years of employment on the resume: instead of 09/07-12/07 I put 09/06-12-06. Is it a big deal? It still equals the same total amount of time. Any advice? :)

Since you were consistent with your mistake it doesn't create a huge problem (like creating a claim you have more work experience than you actually do). I would say just anonymously call up the admissions office of the school you want to attend ("Hi, I'm an admitted student and I have a simple question...") and mention that you put the wrong year for the one year you worked somewhere, and ask if you need to send an updated resume. They'll tell you what to do.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Monica66 wrote:Hi everyone. I have the same problem, I put the wrong years of employment on the resume: instead of 09/07-12/07 I put 09/06-12-06. Is it a big deal? It still equals the same total amount of time. Any advice? :)

Since you were consistent with your mistake it doesn't create a huge problem (like creating a claim you have more work experience than you actually do). I would say just anonymously call up the admissions office of the school you want to attend ("Hi, I'm an admitted student and I have a simple question...") and mention that you put the wrong year for the one year you worked somewhere, and ask if you need to send an updated resume. They'll tell you what to do.

I agree, it's really not a big deal. I was a year off on one of my ECs and literally no one seemed to care. I called the schools that I already got into, explained what happened, and asked them if they would prefer an addendum or new resume (I also asked if it would affect my acceptance), and they just gave me their preferences, thanked me for the correction, and said it wasn't a big deal. I then just emailed addenda to the schools I hadn't heard back from yet. They also thanked me and said that it wasn't a big deal. Don't worry about it...I think you should change the dates since you were more than a month or two off, but I don't think anyone will look at your app in a different light.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”