Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsatbdog
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby lsatbdog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:14 pm

wadeny wrote:Threads like this keep popping up week after week, and the answer remains the same: no one knows. It's still December and a lot of applications have yet to be submitted. You can talk about the increased number LSAT takers and about certain schools releasing preliminary stats (i.e. Iowa), but it's all speculation at this point. Anyone who is posting on here as if they somehow know what's going on is full of BS. Just calm down and wait a few more months.


Agreed.

However, I do think it can be said that by checking out the LSN for Iowa, it looks like it can fairly be concluded that however the cycle plays out, the sky isn't falling. That is to say, numbers that were competitive or auto-admits last year should still stand a solid chance this year. Plenty of people getting in to Iowa with mid 3 GPAs and 160 LSATS who don't look like they have special softs. Also, not everyone who takes the LSAT winds up even applying, including high scorers; I talked to a guy outside the test center who majored in electrical enginering and said he might consider going for patent law if he got a 167+ on the test (he studied for like 2 weeks and got 165s on most practice tests), otherwise he was just going to grad school. Sure these cases happen every cycle, but more test takers probably means more folks like this.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:18 pm

tesoro wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
tesoro wrote:
kalvano wrote:I will also say again, just because the number of applications is up, it doesn't mean the quality of applications is up.

They might get 1,000 more applicants, but how many of those will be competitive?


If the september exam is representative of this year's applicant pool, 20% will be more competitive.

September LSAT takers went from ~50k in 2008 to ~60k in 2009. This is a ~20% increase. Because LSAT scores are normalized, 20% more testtakers will receive any given score in that examination than did testtakers in 2008. For example, 20% more people scored a 170 in September 2009 than did in September 2008.

Therefore, competition should be expected to be tighter. The degree to how much tighter it will be is up in the air, but we're nearing a point where there will soon be more 170+s awarded to LSAT takers than there are seats in the T14.


That's not true. A 170 doesn't equal 97.5 percentile on every test. A 170 in Sept 08 is supposed to equal a 170 in Sept 09.

But its silly to assume almost all economy driven applicants are not going to be competitive. If the economy was good I'd probably wait several years to apply (or maybe never at all if I got management tracked in a good company) and I got a 176.


Aren't scores normalized over six administrations only though? So a profound increase in one of the six administration's test takers should be able to significantly skew the curve.

I believe you that I'm wrong about the 20% figure. I still think that there is a significant increase in 170+ scorers though... this requires more thinking.


No. They aren't normalized over anything. A 170 is supposed to equal a 170 for any two LSAT exams. Over three years they calculate the percentile. So over three years they find out how many people got a 170 then say its the 97.5th percentile. The real test will be to compare Junes LSAT percentiles to Sept to the upcoming Decembers. I'll bet you see the percentiles increasing.

This is why 170 used to be the 98th percentile but has fallen to the 97% after retaking without averaging was allowed.

I still think that there is a significant increase in 170+ scorers though... this requires more thinking.


If only half of the people applying because of the economy were as prepared as the average applicant last year, that means 10% more 170's.

I'm wondering if this will help or hurt splitters. Because some schools might try to make gains with the new applicants. Possibly bumping their 75% LSAT a point.

User avatar
eatmykant
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby eatmykant » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:40 pm

I am at or near metaphysical certitude that this admissions cycle will be more difficult. My reasoning is as follows:

P1. I am applying to law school.
P2. God hates me.
C: This will be a particularly difficult year.

QED.

p.s. Sorry to everyone else for getting a vengeful deity involved in this whole thing. It's totally my bad.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby traehekat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:05 pm

haha think you are missing a few premises there, but i got the message loud and clear.

yes, i also think it will be more difficult/competitive.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby MC Southstar » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:06 pm

traehekat wrote:haha think you are missing a few premises there, but i got the message loud and clear.

yes, i also think it will be more difficult/competitive.


Your Colbert avatar makes me think you are very intelligent and always right.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:09 pm

I got dinged by Texas, and in the past five years, people with similar numbers to me got accepted 85% of the time and waitlisted the rest of the time.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby traehekat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:41 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
traehekat wrote:haha think you are missing a few premises there, but i got the message loud and clear.

yes, i also think it will be more difficult/competitive.


Your Colbert avatar makes me think you are very intelligent and always right.


I would have thought the fact that I am very intelligent and always right would have been sufficient to make you think that!

celio
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby celio » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I got dinged by Texas, and in the past five years, people with similar numbers to me got accepted 85% of the time and waitlisted the rest of the time.


In state or out of state applicant? I'd guess Texas' out of state applications will be particularly competitive this year.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby rondemarino » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 pm

kalvano wrote:I will also say again, just because the number of applications is up, it doesn't mean the quality of applications is up.

They might get 1,000 more applicants, but how many of those will be competitive?


If you check the Illinois 2010, you'll find that Dean Pless responded to my query about this.

Applications to UIUC - up 40%
Applications nationwide - up 8%
Applicants submitting - up 1%

So far, the pool of early applicants is simply sending out more applications.

However, LSAT administrations are up 15-20%.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby rondemarino » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:55 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I got dinged by Texas, and in the past five years, people with similar numbers to me got accepted 85% of the time and waitlisted the rest of the time.


I wouldn't read too much into it you're a high GPA splitter. Texas' GPA median jumped 0.10 points last year (to 3.71). They probably don't feel compelled to accept the 3.7s and 3.8s they used to in year's past.

However, if you're a high LSAT splitter, it might be time to buy canned goods.

User avatar
MF248
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby MF248 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Aeon wrote:I think it's a bit too early to tell. From various threads here on TLS and statements by law school admissions deans, it sounds like applications so far this cycle are up quite a bit from last year, but it's still not known whether this trend will continue through the end of the cycle. Going by that, I'm sure that schools are a bit more cautious at this point about accepting and rejecting applicants than before, because they don't know exactly what to expect.

In any case, it's difficult to judge this cycle at this point, in my opinion, for many schools haven't started sending out rejections yet.


I read somewhere (and maybe someone can help me with the source) that according to LSAC, there are way more applications this year, but the actual total number of applicants hasn't increased that dramatically- meaning applicants are applying to a lot more schools. If that's true, then adcomms will be faced with a lot more applications, but also (presumably) more withdrawals towards the end of the cycle, since more applications per individual will eventually lead to more withdrawals per individual. Anyway, I think the only way that adcomms will be able to deal with this situation rationally is to drastically increase the size of their waitlists, meaning it would be a more frustrating cycle for us, but not necessarily that much more difficult.

Maybe I'm being optimistic and naive though. :) Anyway, good luck everybody!


Hopefully this means the increase in apps at the top schools won't be as much. Ie. the increase this year is from people that would usually count on GULC or Cornell are expanding their range to include Vandy and Texas etc. but probably not the other way around.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby traehekat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:00 pm

rondemarino wrote:However, LSAT administrations are up 15-20%.


Image

Taken from a November 17 post on ATL.

februaryftw
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby februaryftw » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm baffled as to how an increase in the size of LSAT administrations is not leading to a greater number of applicants (if we assume the 1% increase in applicant claim). Any explanations?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby Unitas » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 pm

februaryftw wrote:I'm baffled as to how an increase in the size of LSAT administrations is not leading to a greater number of applicants (if we assume the 1% increase in applicant claim). Any explanations?


There are also different rules about cancelling the LSAT. That adds numbers, plus people just go take the test seeing if they will do really well and get a free ride to LS instead of searching for non-existant jobs. After doing bad on the LSAT these people do not apply.

I said before I would think 5-10% increase, but I also am pretty sure more people are applying to more schools. I know I am applying to more this year, then I would have last year. Mainly because of TLS.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 pm

http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/tests-administered.asp

We're still nowhere near the post-9/11 (2001-2002) LSAT boom though EDIT: (in terms of sudden increase in testers)

(AND June of last year had a greater net increase than June of this year)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:10 pm

februaryftw wrote:I'm baffled as to how an increase in the size of LSAT administrations is not leading to a greater number of applicants (if we assume the 1% increase in applicant claim). Any explanations?


The most obvious is that 1% isn't accurate.

Other factors. You couldn't cancel Sept 09 before hand and not have it show up. I had a family emergency and called to cancel the tuesday before the test, and was told, I have to just not show up, and that's that. So I ended up going anyway (glad I did). Apparently that was a new policy this year, though I'm not sure in June had that policy.

This could account for several percent.

Maybe these economy driven applicants are applying later. It takes a while to get LOR and a PS ready. Its only the beginning of December. We might see a massive rush after new years.

I've heard of people taking it to "keep their options open", yet not planning to apply. I was a little confused because by the time they'd graduate and realize they didn't have a job, they'd have to wait a full year to go to law school, because they hadn't applied.

I'm guessing a mixture of many reasons.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Ok, I think it's become sort of obvious that admission is more difficult, but it's obviously not THAT bad- there are plenty of candidates with LSATs below 168 and GPAs below 3.8 who have already been accepted+$$$ at some good schools! :mrgreen:

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby traehekat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:18 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Ok, I think it's become sort of obvious that admission is more difficult, but it's obviously not THAT bad- there are plenty of candidates with LSATs below 168 and GPAs below 3.8 who have already been accepted+$$$ at some good schools! :mrgreen:



IMPOSSIBLE! IT CAN'T BE! I... I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT!

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:26 pm

traehekat wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Ok, I think it's become sort of obvious that admission is more difficult, but it's obviously not THAT bad- there are plenty of candidates with LSATs below 168 and GPAs below 3.8 who have already been accepted+$$$ at some good schools! :mrgreen:



IMPOSSIBLE! IT CAN'T BE! I... I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT!



nevermind. I guess I'll stop trying to cheer people up. :cry:

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby ruleser » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:32 pm

traehekat wrote:All I know for sure is there are more people taking the LSAT, meaning there are more people with at least the INTENTION of applying this cycle. Whether or not this increase in LSAT takers has translated to an increase in competition for acceptances to the top law schools is still unknown, but it may be reasonable to assume it is at least a LITTLE more competitive. It can probably be even more reasonably assumed that it is a bit more competitive at your T2, T3/4 schools.

Interestingly, during a Q&A with Dean Pless at UIUC, I asked, "With the expected rise in applications, will you be looking at anything that may indicate an applicant has had the intention of applying to law school for some time, as opposed to someone who is doing it just to hide from the economy?" He answered that UIUC does look for such indications, like pre-law classes, involvement in pre-law clubs, etc. that may show an applicant isn't just applying out of the blue. Whether or not this is a significant factor in making a decision, he did not really say. I expect it plays a minor role.

During my interview with Vandy I was told the same thing - don't think I specifically asked about it - it came up at some point and the admis person said very clearly they are kind of on the lookout for those who look like they are just fleeing the econ - at first it's easy to think, yeah right, it's numbers, and maybe it is, but they want to watch out for poor performance or people who will withdraw after a year/are less likely to actually follow through and attend, etc., so I could see it hurting somewhat...

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Maybe these economy driven applicants are applying later. It takes a while to get LOR and a PS ready. Its only the beginning of December. We might see a massive rush after new years.

I've heard of people taking it to "keep their options open", yet not planning to apply. I was a little confused because by the time they'd graduate and realize they didn't have a job, they'd have to wait a full year to go to law school, because they hadn't applied.


In my experience, most people (and even a lot of 0L's :shock: ) are pretty ignorant of the law school application process. My mom calls me pretty much every day and tells me about all of the third tiers that send me propaganda crap, thinking it's gold. :(

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:47 pm

traehekat wrote:Image

Taken from a November 17 post on ATL.



--ImageRemoved--*


*Trademark: Puppins 2009

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby the lantern » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:55 pm

I read somewhere that 20% more people have taken the LSAT but so far application volume is only up around 5%. Most of the schools I'm looking at do not look more difficult to get into than last year, but I haven't seen any decisions yet so who knows.

User avatar
Lyov Myshkin
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:06 pm

SolarWind wrote:--ImageRemoved--*


*Trademark: Puppins 2009


aww... that's so cute.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Postby pearl_earrings » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Ok, I think it's become sort of obvious that admission is more difficult, but it's obviously not THAT bad- there are plenty of candidates with LSATs below 168 and GPAs below 3.8 who have already been accepted+$$$ at some good schools! :mrgreen:



IMPOSSIBLE! IT CAN'T BE! I... I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT!



nevermind. I guess I'll stop trying to cheer people up. :cry:


I'm all for good cheer! Why not spread a little optimism?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], eageragnostic and 4 guests