The risk of not attending...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Andrew the Wolverine

The risk of not attending...?

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:59 am

I was recently accepted to a top 30 school, in monumentally miraculous fashion. I have thought about re-taking the LSAT to try to improve enough to earn some $$$, but I don't want to risk losing an admission. Is there any risk to not accepting an admit for fall 2010 and re-taking the LSAT and applying for the fall 2011? Should I be worried that I won't be admitted if I end up applying again after already receiving an acceptance? Thanks.

thegor1987

Re: The risk of not attending...?

Postby thegor1987 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 am

Reject your acceptance. That's an extra seat for some of us to compete for

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:21 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was recently accepted to a top 30 school, in monumentally miraculous fashion. I have thought about re-taking the LSAT to try to improve enough to earn some $$$, but I don't want to risk losing an admission. Is there any risk to not accepting an admit for fall 2010 and re-taking the LSAT and applying for the fall 2011? Should I be worried that I won't be admitted if I end up applying again after already receiving an acceptance? Thanks.

you should call and ask if you can defer your matriculation until 2011. many people do that and then reapply in the next cycle to see if they can apply with better stats and get into better schools or use better stats to get more money from the school they deferred matriculation at.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:46 am

najumobi wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I was recently accepted to a top 30 school, in monumentally miraculous fashion. I have thought about re-taking the LSAT to try to improve enough to earn some $$$, but I don't want to risk losing an admission. Is there any risk to not accepting an admit for fall 2010 and re-taking the LSAT and applying for the fall 2011? Should I be worried that I won't be admitted if I end up applying again after already receiving an acceptance? Thanks.

you should call and ask if you can defer your matriculation until 2011. many people do that and then reapply in the next cycle to see if they can apply with better stats and get into better schools or use better stats to get more money from the school they deferred matriculation at.

No. A school is EXTREMELY unlikely to allow you to defer matriculation without agreeing to not apply to other schools in the next cycle.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:04 am

thesealocust wrote:
najumobi wrote:

No. A school is EXTREMELY unlikely to allow you to defer matriculation without agreeing to not apply to other schools in the next cycle.

+1

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:17 pm

take the lsat in february. technically a lot of schools don't take it, but if you do a lot better, you ight be able to get the school that's accepted you to give you money.

kristela204

Postby kristela204 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:31 am

I recently had a family/personal situation come up and I may not be able to attend this upcoming fall. The problem is, I don't know where I will be living in a year, so I don't necessarily want to defer my enrollment at a particular school. How does it look to schools to turn down admission and then reapply the following year. I would retake the LSAT to try for a better score as well, hopefully giving them a bit more to consider.

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:33 am

kristela204 wrote:I recently had a family/personal situation come up and I may not be able to attend this upcoming fall. The problem is, I don't know where I will be living in a year, so I don't necessarily want to defer my enrollment at a particular school. How does it look to schools to turn down admission and then reapply the following year. I would retake the LSAT to try for a better score as well, hopefully giving them a bit more to consider.

I know someone who did this, at Notre Dame. He was accepted again the next year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”