LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby acdisagod » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Using the term unfair is going to get me called a baby I realize but hear me out.

It seems that students who go to school's that offer A+ as a grade have a strong advantage over those students who go to school' that do not offer A+ as a grade. Wouldn't it make more sense to count an A+ as a 4.0 instead of a 4.3

It doesn't really bother me but I'm curious what people think.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby Unitas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:19 pm

acdisagod wrote:Using the term unfair is going to get me called a baby I realize but hear me out.

It seems that students who go to school's that offer A+ as a grade have a strong advantage over those students who go to school' that do not offer A+ as a grade. Wouldn't it make more sense to count an A+ as a 4.0 instead of a 4.3

It doesn't really bother me but I'm curious what people think.


Everyone knows this. Contact LSAC if you have a valid compliant, but I doubt they will care. :)

There really isn't anything to discuss on the issue.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby Georgiana » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:30 pm

acdisagod wrote:Using the term unfair is going to get me called a baby I realize but hear me out.

It seems that students who go to school's that offer A+ as a grade have a strong advantage over those students who go to school' that do not offer A+ as a grade. Wouldn't it make more sense to count an A+ as a 4.0 instead of a 4.3

It doesn't really bother me but I'm curious what people think.

Everything is "unfair." If you make an A+ a 4.0 is "unfair" to those who have A+ grades. Are we then going to call a B- a 3.0 because some schools don't have B- grades and its not fair to penalize someone who went to a school with B- grades? LSDAS does the best they can and they are as objective as possible.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 pm

This is my argument for why admissions to law school should not be based on GPA, but instead on a Law School Combine. My vert alone could get me into HYS.

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby acdisagod » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:49 pm

But if you have the oppurtunity to get an A+ that means it's not a level playing field. While it may be somewhat unfair to not recognize A+ as its own grade, no one has a special advantage over the other

antonin
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby antonin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Georgiana wrote:Everything is "unfair." If you make an A+ a 4.0 is "unfair" to those who have A+ grades. Are we then going to call a B- a 3.0 because some schools don't have B- grades and its not fair to penalize someone who went to a school with B- grades? LSDAS does the best they can and they are as objective as possible.


My 0.2 cents. I think it is more fair if that A+ student gets treated like most A+ students in most other schools and just receives an A. A+ just means that you received between 97-100 in your class. In most schools 97-100 merely gives you an A, so I do not know why an A+/97-100 student now merely getting an A should feel that singled out (I mean speaking objectively here, I know most people with A+ will hate it).
BUt honestly, I think that this is a tiny detail, that even if corrected by LSAC, will not change anything for students in schools that currently do not hand any A+.

User avatar
klk
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby klk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm kind of with you on this one. I had a few of what LSAC considers A+ grades, but my school doesn't recognize A+s, only As. It would be nice if they showed your number grade on a 100 scale along with your letter grade on your transcript. It would certainly make it a little more "fair", without the need to penalize people at schools who do get the benefit of A+s on their transcript (as they undoubtedly deserve them).

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby acdisagod » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:16 pm

good solution

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby dailygrind » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:23 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:This is my argument for why admissions to law school should not be based on GPA, but instead on a Law School Combine. My vert alone could get me into HYS.


Combines are ill suited to discovering the candidates with the most potential to succeed in law school.

I propose a grand free for all, held 4 times a year.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby rondemarino » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:34 pm

acdisagod wrote:Using the term unfair is going to get me called a baby I realize but hear me out.

It seems that students who go to school's that offer A+ as a grade have a strong advantage over those students who go to school' that do not offer A+ as a grade. Wouldn't it make more sense to count an A+ as a 4.0 instead of a 4.3

It doesn't really bother me but I'm curious what people think.


With all the rocket science majors going up against basket weaving majors, this is whats unfair?

User avatar
Jumbo
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby Jumbo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:44 pm

rondemarino wrote:With all the rocket science majors going up against basket weaving majors, this is whats unfair?

Those rocket science majors have it easy... You have no idea how brutal the curve is for basket weaving.

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby acdisagod » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:48 pm

lmao, good point about the majors.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Baby

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby Neil » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Jumbo wrote:
rondemarino wrote:With all the rocket science majors going up against basket weaving majors, this is whats unfair?

Those rocket science majors have it easy... You have no idea how brutal the curve is for basket weaving.


I actually took a course--at your undergrad, I believe-- called "Native Peoples of Latin America" (or something), and it amounted to the professor telling us about how he failed to learn what he set out to learn in Latin America, but instead learned the meanings of different basket weavings. No joke. And it was one of my worst grades, though that was largely due to a very costly miscommunication between me and my study partner.

User avatar
Trifles
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby Trifles » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:01 pm

Science/math major difficulty is overhyped. I mean, ffs, the questions on their tests only have one correct answer! As a liberal arts student, I have not had this luxury. Just memorize your formulas or whatever and stfu. Studying for the physics exams I had took waaaay less time then researching for the papers I had to write for poli sci classes.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:04 pm

If you can maintain a 4.0 GPA for four years, they're not going to hold it against you that you never got a 4.3.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby lawduder » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Trifles wrote:Science/math major difficulty is overhyped. I mean, ffs, the questions on their tests only have one correct answer! As a liberal arts student, I have not had this luxury. Just memorize your formulas or whatever and stfu. Studying for the physics exams I had took waaaay less time then researching for the papers I had to write for poli sci classes.

BUT MAFF IZ HARDER

also, yes, it is pretty retarded that my 98 in a class counts for 4.0 while someone else's 98 gives them a 4.3

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby Borhas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:06 pm

I think A+ as 4.3 on the LSAC is pretty dumb... my school technically offers them, but to my knowledge nobody has gotten them for a while

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby lawduder » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:09 pm

vanwinkle wrote:If you can maintain a 4.0 GPA for four years, they're not going to hold it against you that you never got a 4.3.

example 1 - no A+ grades
C
C
A
A
B-
gpa: 2.93

example 2 - A+ grades
C
C
A+
A+
B-
gpa: 3.07

this discrepancy also widens as you add accumulate more grades
Last edited by lawduder on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GhostDynasty
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby GhostDynasty » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Yeah, but your 98 wouldn't be equally hard to earn as their 98. The real point is their are so many problems that this isn't a problem. Changing it doesn't fix it, it just makes a new problem.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby lawduder » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:11 pm

GhostDynasty wrote:Yeah, but your 98 wouldn't be equally hard to earn as their 98. The real point is their are so many problems that this isn't a problem. Changing it doesn't fix it, it just makes a new problem.


If I scored 98/100 on my math test and they scored 98/100 questions on their math test I really don't see how my 98 was easier to get than theirs...?

This semester 4 of my 5 grades are all at or above 98% and I'll be receiving 4.0 for each of them. I sure would love to have a a 4.06 instead of a 3.8 for the semester.
Last edited by lawduder on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby holborn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:13 pm

I was, selfishly, very happy when i found out LSAC gives a 4.3

my undergrad gives them out (I got two over my college career) but you still get a 4.0 for them. so it was nice to finally get the boost.

User avatar
GhostDynasty
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby GhostDynasty » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:20 pm

lawduder wrote:
GhostDynasty wrote:Yeah, but your 98 wouldn't be equally hard to earn as their 98. The real point is their are so many problems that this isn't a problem. Changing it doesn't fix it, it just makes a new problem.


If I scored 98/100 on my math test and they scored 98/100 questions on their math test I really don't see how my 98 was easier to get than theirs...?

This semester 4 of my 5 grades are all at or above 98% and I'll be receiving 4.0 for each of them. I sure would love to have a a 4.06 instead of a 3.8 for the semester.


Because its not the same test, and you don't go to the same school.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby lawduder » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:21 pm

My mistake, because they go to a different school they must have harder tests to earn the same grade; gotcha.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: LSDAS gpa seems unfair..

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Here is a personal example: This summer I stayed at my university and took a few communications classes, a marketing class, and retook a class I received a B- in. The result was 12 hours of A+ and 4 hours of A with minimal work. I'm too ashamed to say how much it helped my GPA.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob loblaw law blog and 6 guests