2.0 GPA and 165 LSAT..where to apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
engineer_dude

New

2.0 GPA and 165 LSAT..where to apply?

Postby engineer_dude » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I am an Aerospace Engineer, and have been working for 6+ years as a professional engineer. During my working experience I had exposure to Patents and Intellectual property law. This interest made me write LSAT and explore my options in the field of law. I scored 165 but my GPA sucks since I did a hard bachelor's program unlike most of the folks who apply to law schools (no offence) :)

Any suggestions on which school to apply? Location is not a big factor for me, as long as the school is decent.

Thanks.

Engineer Dude.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Re: 2.0 GPA and 165 LSAT..where to apply?

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Santa Clara would be a perfect fit for you, but your GPA is gonna be damn hard to justify, unless you have good reasons.

b.j.

Bronze

Postby b.j. » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Is there a particular reason your GPA is so low? Mine is higher than yours, at a 2.5*, but it's still not good. Of course, I was a math major for a while, with a few random econ and science classes mixed in, before I finally decided to switch to history. My in-major GPA, if I remember correctly, is a 3.1-3.2--definitely a 3.0, I'm almost certain. I plan to write an addendum explaining what happened. I don't have anything that really excuses those low grades, like an illness, so I simply have to explain how I had to learn the hard way certain subjects weren't for me.

engineer_dude

New

Postby engineer_dude » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey B.J.

I had a part time job while in university on top of HEAVY course load. The university I went to, had a pre-picked course schedule for students. Therefore, there was not much room to play with courses (spreading tough courses through the year etc.). I can try to explain myself in an addendum, but don't want to waste my effort and $$ if some schools won't even consider me.

Thanks gamescubes, but why Santa Clara? Do they have a great IP Law program? I will do some research on them too.

missvik218

Silver

Postby missvik218 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Any chance you can re-take the LSAT?! If you can get 170+ Northwestern MIGHT be willing to take a chance on you ... they've historically been kind to heavy splitters with interesting and meaningful WE.

engineer_dude

New

Postby engineer_dude » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Hey missvik...thanks for the pointers...I work full time and re-taking takes a lot of effort...and I believed that 165 was a good score :(

Some people are talking about Thomas Cooley Law! Since, they will give me 100% scholarship.

ogman05

Bronze

Postby ogman05 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Does anyone else feel that in 10-20 years when the first generation of TLS participants are partners that graduates of cooley law will be at a significant disadvantage. If you were in your office review apps and came across a resume with a cooley law grad, what would you do?

randyn

New

Postby randyn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:50 pm

engineer_dude wrote:Hey missvik...thanks for the pointers...I work full time and re-taking takes a lot of effort...and I believed that 165 was a good score :(

Some people are talking about Thomas Cooley Law! Since, they will give me 100% scholarship.

el flamo maximo

spintk

New

Postby spintk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:56 pm

b.j. wrote:Is there a particular reason your GPA is so low? Mine is higher than yours, at a 2.5*, but it's still not good. Of course, I was a math major for a while, with a few random econ and science classes mixed in, before I finally decided to switch to history. My in-major GPA, if I remember correctly, is a 3.1-3.2--definitely a 3.0, I'm almost certain. I plan to write an addendum explaining what happened. I don't have anything that really excuses those low grades, like an illness, so I simply have to explain how I had to learn the hard way certain subjects weren't for me.

Same here B.J. My cumulative is a particularly low 2.5, but I plan on graduating in the 2.6-2.7 range. Same situation with the mechanical engineering major. I eventually switched to English and Political Science and have 3.6 in both. Guess there are some people like me, huh?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�