Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
twopoodles
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:42 pm

Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby twopoodles » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:29 pm

I know transferring is not easy anyway. But, if you attempt to transfer, are your grades/class rank in law school the main criteria?

I had a mediocre LSAT score, 160. I feel certain I could do better because I did virtually no studying or preparations the first time. 160 was OK with me as I am not in a position to move, and all of the schools nearby have medians of 155 or so. I am wondering however, if I should retake for the possibility of transferring if I am able to move before the second year of school. Can you do that? I'd probably retake in June, but can you retake the LSAT once you've started law school? Do they care?

User avatar
kumba84
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby kumba84 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:37 pm

I'm wondering the same thing. I know two people who were accepted as transfers to University of Illinois after getting pretty low (~150) scores on their LSATs, but I'd like to know how it works for schools like NYU and Berkeley.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby avacado111 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 pm

no it doesn't. But don't count on transfering law schools. 5% of people from t3 or t4 do. Your odds against youare 95%.

FML.

twopoodles
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby twopoodles » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:48 pm

well, that doesn't make sense...5% of people transfer...but how many try? Anyway, I intend to attend a lower t1 school and might want to transfer mostly to be able to work somewhere other than the midwest.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby 06072010 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:50 pm

You have to be in the top 5% to transfer it what he's saying. LSAT is not usually used in transfer admissions. Don't go to law school intending to transfer. Your time is much better spent retaking.

User avatar
academiccricket
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 am

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby academiccricket » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:51 pm

My impression is that transferring is almost always based on your performance in law school, and that the LSAT/ugpa isn't weighted as much because they don't have to report transfer stats. However, it does matter in terms of distinguishing yourself from other applicants. If you're first in your class and another kid is first in his/her class and in other respects were competitive, then the LSAT might be a determining factor in who gets in and who gets stuck at Cooley.

twopoodles
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby twopoodles » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:54 pm

I guess its time to embrace the corn.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:56 pm

From what I understand HYS might care a little, but otherwise no.

KennyG
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby KennyG » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:28 am

I talked to one of the admissions guys at UGA the other day about transferring. He said that they see the LSAT and GPA but that they don't really pay any attention to it. These numbers are important to most law schools because of their predictive value. Your 1L GPA is much more predictive.

User avatar
sjk
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am

Re: Does LSAT score affect ability to transfer

Postby sjk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:50 pm

I had an LSAT of 162 and transferred from a lower T2 to a top 6 school. The dean told me that the LSAT didn't really matter at all




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acr, Bing [Bot], capnobvious123, carlos_danger, sonyco, splitterfromhell and 7 guests