USC waitlist acceptance vs. Fordham Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoCAL

New

USC waitlist acceptance vs. Fordham

Post by SoCAL » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:44 pm

So I just got in off the waitlist at USC. I'm actually in New York right now looking for housing, and now I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what kind of law I want to practice or where. I was REALLY excited to move to New York because I actually greatly dislike Southern California. But the thought of going to a school with slightly more name recognition and such a HUGE alumni network is pretty appealing.

I'm getting a little money from Fordham and no money from USC.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?? Someone just make my decision for me.

Also, is USC's international job placement really that low?

Thanks in advance.

Vasia

New

Post by Vasia » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:51 pm

I am just curious what is your gpa and lsat if you don't mind?

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:54 pm

SoCAL

Congrats on your acceptance! I'd say if you want to work on the Northeast, Fordham is probably the better choice. Otherwise, and especially if you want to practice on the West Coast, USC has the advantage. I'm not sure about their international placement, though in the area of international law they are relatively lacking compared to other schools I've been looking at.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:55 pm

I was REALLY excited to move to New York because I actually greatly dislike Southern California.

Fordham! :)

SoCAL

New

Post by SoCAL » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:04 pm

Tofu, you just want the cookies I said I'd bake! :).

Thanks for the fast replies, guys. UGH I am the most indecisive person EVER!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:30 pm

fordham.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:39 pm

Rats, you caught me. I won't lie; I want some of those cookies. :wink:
Last edited by Master Tofu on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normalien

New

Post by normalien » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Hey SoCal, I think you got my spot. I'm not kidding. I paid my first deposit, but I sent an email two days ago explaining that in light of my new LSAT score i'm not enrolling in law school this year...

congratulations! i'm glad it (probably) went to a TLSer...

by the way, i don't think this is true:
though in the area of international law they are relatively lacking compared to other schools I've been looking at.
USC has a new dual degree LL.M. program with the London School of Economics, which is, as anyone has ever spent anytime in the UK knows, like gold there. I was gonna do it; that's why I applied actually... I'm telling you, I live in Europe, been here for the past 2 years, the LSE is Harvard status on this side of the Atlantic.

USC girls are super-ultra hot too, was there 10 days ago visiting. Super-ultra hot.

(not sure if that last remark will matter to you, but maybe...)

Also, the USC alum network is plenty strong enough to get you back to NYC. USC owns the Entertainment Law industry (along with UCLA), there's plenty of that sort of thing in NYC...Fordham to Cali however, probably ain't happenin.

I know LA isnt the best city in the world, but the weather's great and it's beautiful, plus much higher ranked school/name recognition. I'd go USC.

SoCAL

New

Post by SoCAL » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 pm

Haha, no, the hot girls thing doesn't help me out. Um, from what I saw on campus, though, USC had some pretty good looking guys, which is more my thing ;).

It's just that I grew up in LA, went to undergrad in socal, and was really dying to get out.

Thanks for the insight about the LSE! In my perfect world, I'd score a gig somewhere in Spain...any idea how Spain feels about the LSE? I know that doing an exchange program in a specific country doesn't necessarily help with job placement there a few years later, but Fordham has a program in Madrid. I always thought that if I couldn't land a job in Spain, at least I got to study there one last time. At USC my only study abroad options are London and Hong Kong (not that I'm knocking either...I love London, and have never been to HK).

Letting study abroad options make my decision for me is stupid, I know, I know...

Thanks, all, for humoring my indecision.
Last edited by SoCAL on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SoCAL

New

Post by SoCAL » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:57 pm

Btw, Normalien, congrats on the new LSAT score!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:38 am

I just meant compared to, say Georgetown, Duke, and Michigan (among others), USC does not quite offer the same options for those interested in the international realm of things.

Ken

Bronze

USC v. Fordham

Post by Ken » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:55 am

On the positive side, this is a good choice to have although it is not an easy one. If you took away the anti-LA stance you have (which is very understandable since you have already been there for so long and want new experiences), the evident choice is clearly USC. Fordham is an excellent law school, but in both overall reputation for both the university and the law school, USC has a stronger name both in America and overseas.

Going from USC to NYC firms is not that hard of a jump. Going from Fordham to Cali is a lot harder as someone earlier pointed out.

Since you mentioned that prestige matters to you in a note to me, I am leaning towards your going to USC. It is enough of a gap in reputation that USC will open more doors that Fordham. Of course, the risk is that you will get stuck in SoCal, where USC ties are amazingly strong (the alumni network is like a tribe banded together).

Best of luck, there is no bad decision here.

Cheers,

Ken

normalien

New

Post by normalien » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:45 am

I just meant compared to, say Georgetown, Duke, and Michigan (among others), USC does not quite offer the same options for those interested in the international realm of things.
Sure, but those schools are T14, whereas neither of the schools in this mix are.
Letting study abroad options make my decision for me is stupid, I know, I know...
If it is, I'm just as stupid (but I don't think it is). If you're like me and you wanna wind up in Europe permanently or semi-permanently, that move isn't gonna make itself; we have to consider these things up front.

I can't say from experience how the LSE will go over in Spain, but the program is for a British LL.M., not a Spanish LL.M, so...? On the other hand, I can't imagine that having an LSE degree on your resume could hurt you anywhere really...

You'll be in good shape either way you go...

lawdog

New

Post by lawdog » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:12 am

Good info on USC dual degree program. It also only takes 3 years to complete. I am greatly impressed. Unfortunately they only expect 2-3 students a year so I am sure its HIGHLY competitive.

This one is on my radar now however. I am still leaning criminal/sport law (I know, redundant), but that program seems impressive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”