Anyone else still putting off the Yale App?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sarlis

Re: Anyone else still putting off the Yale App?

Postby sarlis » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Ahh, this 250...

Does Yale do rolling admissions?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:33 pm

sarlis wrote:Ahh, this 250...

Does Yale do rolling admissions?

We've been over this before, but YLS admissions is different from every other top school because of the faculty review. Essentially, there's not a big disadvantage to applying in January the way there is at every other top school.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:32 pm

Shit, I've put off Yale til now, but I'll be sending it in the next two or three days and now Dec. LSAT comes out with a -14 curve. FML.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:33 pm

Exept not everyone goes to faculty review, is my understanding. So maybe theres an advantage to applying early if you want to get picked up off the bat.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:34 pm

crackberry wrote:Shit, I've put off Yale til now, but I'll be sending it in the next two or three days and now Dec. LSAT comes out with a -14 curve. FML.

this is a pretty dumb comment.

they curve the test so that roughly the same number of people get 170+ as the people on recent tests.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:37 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
crackberry wrote:Shit, I've put off Yale til now, but I'll be sending it in the next two or three days and now Dec. LSAT comes out with a -14 curve. FML.

this is a pretty dumb comment.

they curve the test so that roughly the same number of people get 170+ as the people on recent tests.

Yes I know that, genius. I'm more just pissed at myself for procrastinating for so long.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 am

Last edited by booby87 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Still no idea what to write...

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:20 am

I'm submitting today. It's going to happen!!

(I thought maybe if I told you guys I'd be more motivated...)

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm still putting off the Yale app. I submitted all my other apps 7 weeks ago, and I'm still throwing around 250 ideas in my head.

This is silly. If I had any reason to believe that a late application would hurt my chances at Yale, I would have just cranked out a 250 and submitted the app long ago. But because I know that a late application won't really make a difference, I am procrastinating like a college senior with a ten-page paper to write. Lame.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Dignan wrote:I'm still putting off the Yale app. I submitted all my other apps 7 weeks ago, and I'm still throwing around 250 ideas in my head.

This is silly. If I had any reason to believe that a late application would hurt my chances at Yale, I would have just cranked out a 250 and submitted the app long ago. But because I know that a late application won't really make a difference, I am procrastinating like a college senior with a ten-page paper to write. Lame.

+1. Damnit. I was all ready to submit around 1/1 but then had a change of heart over my 250 and scrapped it. Now I'm back to square one and I'm swamped at work these days...

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Lysis wrote:I'm submitting today. It's going to happen!!

I actually put post-its all over my house saying the same thing. Turns out, doesn't work (at least for me).

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Kretzy wrote:

I actually put post-its all over my house saying the same thing. Turns out, doesn't work (at least for me).

Neither did my post. Maybe today will be the day!! :|

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:55 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:I'm still putting off the Yale app. I submitted all my other apps 7 weeks ago, and I'm still throwing around 250 ideas in my head.

+1. Damnit. I was all ready to submit around 1/1 but then had a change of heart over my 250 and scrapped it. Now I'm back to square one and I'm swamped at work these days...

Same here. I'm starting to realize how silly it is, though, to worry this much about 250 words in the context of the entire application.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Lysis wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

I've moved from fretting over my still incomplete Yale App to fretting over outside scholarship applications...

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Lysis wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

I've moved from fretting over my still incomplete Yale App to fretting over outside scholarship applications...

There are outside scholarships to worry about? That's not even on my radar, but it probably should be...

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Could somebody tell me if they frown upon diversity statements? The instructions don't mention anything about diversity statements, only about a small addendum you can submit about something lacking in your application. I have a statement that I've submitted to every other school about my painful but invisible moderate Tourette Syndrome, which is over two pages long I believe, and is about 90% diversity statement and 10% GPA addendum. Would they be annoyed if I submitted that with my application?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:06 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Could somebody tell me if they frown upon diversity statements? The instructions don't mention anything about diversity statements, only about a small addendum you can submit about something lacking in your application. I have a statement that I've submitted to every other school about my painful but invisible moderate Tourette Syndrome, which is over two pages long I believe, and is about 90% diversity statement and 10% GPA addendum. Would they be annoyed if I submitted that with my application?

Remember, it's all but impossible to know who the "they" is at Yale. It's not just a small handful of adcomms. The applications get forwarded to various law professors. (Three professors will review your app; each prof will assign a score.) One professor might like your diversity statement. Another professor might be annoyed by it.

Were it me, I would err on the side of excluding materials that are not directly requested. But there are other TLSers who feel comfortable submitting a half dozen addenda about (what strike me as) rather trivial matters. There is no right or wrong approach. Use your judgment.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Dignan wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Could somebody tell me if they frown upon diversity statements? The instructions don't mention anything about diversity statements, only about a small addendum you can submit about something lacking in your application. I have a statement that I've submitted to every other school about my painful but invisible moderate Tourette Syndrome, which is over two pages long I believe, and is about 90% diversity statement and 10% GPA addendum. Would they be annoyed if I submitted that with my application?

Remember, it's all but impossible to know who the "they" is at Yale. It's not just a small handful of adcomms. The applications get forwarded to various law professors. (Three professors will review your app; each prof will assign a score.) One professor might like your diversity statement. Another professor might be annoyed by it.

Were it me, I would err on the side of excluding materials that are not directly requested. But there are other TLSers who feel comfortable submitting a half dozen addenda about (what strike me as) rather trivial matters. There is no right or wrong approach. Use your judgment.

Damn, this is tough. I consider my diversity statement/addendum one of my more important soft factors and think it would really help me. My numbers are averageish/splitty for Yale at 3.77/179, but as someone with no major accomplishments or work experience (but a ton of EC's), I think it's crucial enough to my success that I'll include it.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 pm

I realized that I should just email Yale so I'll tell you guys what they say if anyone's interested.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Still procrastinating bump. Hopefully this weekend, though!

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:30 pm

i bit the bullet two nights ago. finished my 250, did that bullshit answer sheet, and sent in the app. i'm a serious long-shot, but writing is my strength, so i hope the addcoms like my 250 and personal statement enough to send me to the faculty review.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:38 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:i bit the bullet two nights ago. finished my 250, did that bullshit answer sheet, and sent in the app. i'm a serious long-shot, but writing is my strength, so i hope the addcoms like my 250 and personal statement enough to send me to the faculty review.

I am a HUGE longshot (I wouldn't be surprised if, instead of an actual rejection letter, they just sent me an email going "HAHAHAHAHAHA!"), but I'm hoping that if my LSAT actually makes someone take a quick look at my application there's a snowball's chance in hell that I can woo them with my writing. Still working on that 250-word statement, though, mostly because I can't decide on a topic...

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:41 pm

jayzon wrote:I have three completed applications (including Yale) sitting on my LSAC cart.

Maybe I'm not "putting it off" as much as "waiting for money to fall from the sky."

+1000000

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Haven't gotten a reply yet to my question about a diversity statement.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”