Anyone else still putting off the Yale App?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EijiMiyake

Anyone else still putting off the Yale App?

Postby EijiMiyake » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:38 pm

No idea what to do with the 250. Gah.

Lysis

Re: Anyone else still putting off the Yale App?

Postby Lysis » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:45 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:No idea what to do with the 250. Gah.

+1. I'm also having trouble answering all of their questions in a format that looks presentable. I kind of made little tables...but I hate it. Ahhhhh... :?

Good luck!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Absolutely. I've submitted over a dozen apps except for Yale.

The 250, when combined with the fact that they (apparently) don't care as much how early you submit, AND the ever-present truth that it would be near impossible to gain admission anyways, is making it very hard for me to put any work into it.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Absolutely. I've submitted over a dozen apps except for Yale.

The 250, when combined with the fact that they (apparently) don't care as much how early you submit, AND the ever-present truth that it would be near impossible to gain admission anyways, is making it very hard for me to put any work into it.

+1

I've been complete at most schools since late October, but have yet to tackle Yale's.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:05 pm

+1. Yale procrastinators unite!

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:08 pm

I don't know why it is that I'm so calm about it, either. Plenty of schools say that applying early doesn't matter. TLS laughs and tells everyone that those schools are lying. Yale says applying early doesn't matter. We believe them?

I know, part of it is because we know about their unique admissions process, but I don't see how the faculty review really precludes earlier applicants having an edge for some of the same reasons they do at other schools.

That said...yeah. Need to get on that 250.

njskatchmo

Postby njskatchmo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Lysis wrote: I know, part of it is because we know about their unique admissions process, but I don't see how the faculty review really precludes earlier applicants having an edge for some of the same reasons they do at other schools.

Not to encourage procrastination or anything... :)

But the way the process works here at Yale ensures that everyone gets equal consideration, even those who submit on February 15th. Each applicant that reaches the faculty review stage of the process is put into a batch [as described here: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... ecret.aspx], where faculty are limited as to the number of "top" (score of 4) rankings that they can give....the process is carefully fine-tuned and calibrated so that just exactly the right amount of people are admitted each year. The only thing that submitting earlier *might* achieve is getting your application put in a batch with other early applicants...but it won't affect the general percentage of people in your batch who will be selected for admission.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:59 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 pm

+1

I am annoyed that Yale is basically asking me to break up my resume into three or four different "answers" to application questions.

And, like others, I am putting off my 250. I'm thinking of just submitting the traffic ticket addendum that I wrote for the University of Minnesota. It's only 178 words.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:49 pm

+1

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Add me. Ten apps submitted, no Yale yet.

The way rabbit describes it almost makes it seem like you'd be better off waiting. Generally, stronger applicants apply earlier. But I guess most everyone is a strong applicant at Yale.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:53 pm

Glad I'm not alone in this boat. 16 applications complete, Yale still outstanding.

Can't settle on a 250 after a dozen or so drafts...

njskatchmo

Postby njskatchmo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:59 pm

Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:00 pm

dutchstriker wrote:Add me. Ten apps submitted, no Yale yet.

The way rabbit describes it almost makes it seem like you'd be better off waiting. Generally, stronger applicants apply earlier. But I guess most everyone is a strong applicant at Yale.

Speaking of this, it's interesting to go to LSN and look at the admits from Yale last year. A substantial percentage of admits--perhaps even a majority--applied late in the cycle. Many of the successful applicants submitted apps in mid or late January. Many of those applicants also submitted late apps to, and were accepted by, other T6 schools.

It's enough to make me question the "apply early!" advice, especially for the top schools. I mean, I can believe that applying extra early, at certain schools, can give a slight advantage to an otherwise borderline candidate, but I think that people tend to overinflate the importance of getting apps in as early as humanly possible.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:10 pm

Dignan wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Add me. Ten apps submitted, no Yale yet.

Speaking of this, it's interesting to go to LSN and look at the admits from Yale last year. A substantial percentage of admits--perhaps even a majority--applied late in the cycle. Many of the successful applicants submitted apps in mid or late January. Many of those applicants also submitted late apps to, and were accepted by, other T6 schools.

It's enough to make me question the "apply early!" advice, especially for the top schools. I mean, I can believe that applying extra early, at certain schools, can give a slight advantage to an otherwise borderline candidate, but I think that people tend to overinflate the importance of getting apps in as early as humanly possible.

At the same time, though, whenever you see a decision/numbers grouping that makes you say "wtf?!", the app was (more likely than not) submitted in January.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:16 pm

I put mine off for a while too because of the 250, but when I actually sat down to write a couple of them, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. All a ridiculously short word limit means is that your editing stage is going to be much longer than your writing stage, and editing is easier/more fun anyway. Get on it!!

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:45 pm

I'm in this club too.

but, I no longer deeply desire to attend Yale. It's shifted from #1 on my list to a tie for #2.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:59 pm

bump. Still procrastinating, but determined to get it done by 1/1.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:02 pm

same boat as everyone else. personally, i dont think my softs are unique enough (and my numbers arent 4/180) for me to get into Yale anyways...not straight from undergrad. add the fact that even if i got in, i wouldnt go lol...makes writing the 250 and filling out their tiring app unrealistic.

i just cant 100% let go of it yet either. 99%, just not 100. maybe in a few more weeks, dont hassle them w/ an app from a person who will a) not get in b) not go anyways c) both of the above lol.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:06 pm

Me too.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:15 pm

Same here. Yale is my dream and my GPA makes it a long shot but if I am even a weak consider on LSP after I get my LSAT score I feel I owe it to myself to try. But I was kind of demoralized after taking the LSAT and have been unable to think about Yale much since because it's painful. I have a draft of my 250 but I am not sure I like it. I'm afraid it's too common of a topic (describing my emotions the minute Obama was elected) and maybe too cheesy.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:20 pm

Me me me!

Anyone else thinking about not even applying to Yale as it's not even worth the $100?

ashleigh

Postby ashleigh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:23 pm

I'm putting it off until I have a 4.5/180.

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:58 am

i haven't even begun to think about the 250. all i've been thinking about is the 85...

dollars i will throw down the drain.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”