The best South Texas law can offer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

The best South Texas law can offer?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:04 pm

Another reason why normal people generally dislike lawyers:

Lawsuit of the Day: It’s The Kind of Thing We’d Expect from Jonathan Swift

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:06 PM - By Elie Mystal
It’s almost Thanksgiving. It is a wonderful time to reflect on all of your blessings — and maybe spare a coin for those less fortunate.

Or, if you are a lawyer — you could sue those less fortunate; especially if the unwashed masses are hurting your business. Tex Parte Blog has this lovely holiday tale:

A lawyer who owns an office building located near The Beacon, a day center for homeless people in downtown Houston, filed a suit Monday seeking a permanent injunction to shut down the operation on the ground it’s a “private nuisance.” Lawyer Harry C. Arthur seeks a minimum of $250,000 in damages from defendants Christ Church Cathedral and The Beacon to compensate him for the loss of rentals in his building and the loss of its market value.


--LinkRemoved--

sorry if this was already posted

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: The best South Texas law can offer?

Postby rayiner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:15 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Another reason why normal people generally dislike lawyers:

Lawsuit of the Day: It’s The Kind of Thing We’d Expect from Jonathan Swift

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:06 PM - By Elie Mystal
It’s almost Thanksgiving. It is a wonderful time to reflect on all of your blessings — and maybe spare a coin for those less fortunate.

Or, if you are a lawyer — you could sue those less fortunate; especially if the unwashed masses are hurting your business. Tex Parte Blog has this lovely holiday tale:

A lawyer who owns an office building located near The Beacon, a day center for homeless people in downtown Houston, filed a suit Monday seeking a permanent injunction to shut down the operation on the ground it’s a “private nuisance.” Lawyer Harry C. Arthur seeks a minimum of $250,000 in damages from defendants Christ Church Cathedral and The Beacon to compensate him for the loss of rentals in his building and the loss of its market value.


--LinkRemoved--

sorry if this was already posted


What's wrong with this? Operations that serve the homeless can cause major problems for people who live/work nearby. The plight of the homeless is pitiable, etc, but at the same time they're dangerous, they hassle people who walk by, they damage property, etc.

Homeless shelters, etc, are a necessity in any urban area, but just like water treatment facilities they need to be placed wisely to keep them from being a nuisance to the residents of the city.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: The best South Texas law can offer?

Postby NayBoer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:23 pm

rayiner wrote:Homeless shelters, etc, are a necessity in any urban area, but just like water treatment facilities they need to be placed wisely to keep them from being a nuisance to the residents of the city.
This reminds me of the Simpsons when they get Krusty into Congress so they can move the airport flight pattern so it's no longer over their house and is 'back where it belongs - over the homes of poor people.'

We need some Coase Theorem in this mofo. If Mr. Arthur doesn't like it, he should pay them to move (either buy their property or buy their agreement to halt the activities) rather than suing them. If he can't offer enough to convince them, then maybe his lost value is not equivalent to their preserved value.

User avatar
MeaganVanZandt
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 am

Re: The best South Texas law can offer?

Postby MeaganVanZandt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:44 pm

NayBoer wrote:
rayiner wrote:If he can't offer enough to convince them, then maybe his lost value is not equivalent to their preserved value.


Will you be my lawyer? :wink:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 8 guests