LSDAS GPA Question!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
finsftball4

LSDAS GPA Question!!!

Postby finsftball4 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:22 am

I am curious if anyone knows how LSDAS calculates your GPA. I understand the basic concept but do "W" for withdrawel or "NC" in a P/NC class (pass or no credit) affect the GPA calculation??? In my first 3 semester of college I was pretty irresponsible and used the P/NC too much to back out of classes that I felt I was not going to get a decent grade in. Now I have to deal with a few NC's on my transcript and im not sure how these count into my offical gpa calculation. If anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated!

KmissP

Re: LSDAS GPA Question!!!

Postby KmissP » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:21 pm

My school has a last grade stands policy, which I used. My original grades were replaced on my permanent transcripts with NC's, and they were NOT counted in my LSDAS GPA.

From what I can gather, it has to do with how your school reports on your transcripts. Since my school actually removed my original grades and the NC's did not count against me, LSDAS honored that policy. I have heard, however, that these sorts of classes are often factored in, even if you re-took, because the school reported the original grades.

This is probably not very helpful to you, because what it amounts to is a three paragraph "maybe".

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:06 pm

I got a GPA ding for an NP in a P/NP class. I didn't have any Ws so I can't speak to that. It all seems to depend on how your school reports the grades. Like Kmiss, my school replaces a repeated class in your GPA but since they also leave the original class on the transcript LSAC averaged mine back in.

If you have a lot of NC in a P/NC environment I would say there is a solid chance they will count as 0s and kill you GPA. However, I don't know enough to be sure. I think it depends on whether or not LSAC decides they are "punitive."

finsftball4

Postby finsftball4 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:32 pm

I do have a few NCs and that is why I am worried because my GPA is already pretty low. The thing for me is there is no "original grade" P/NC is a grading option that you can choose to switch to during the semester before a certain deadline if you feel that you are not doing well in the class. Then, if you pass you get a P and you get the credits and if u get below a C you get a NC and it doesnt count twords your GPA or credits so there is no original grade to report it is simply a "no credit" class. Im going to have to have a pretty stellar addendum if the case is that they are counting these NC's as F's beause that is going to lower my GPA almost .3 from where it really is and possibly effectively kill any chances I have, regardless of my LSAT score. Most of these NCs came in my first two years of school when my grades were poor and I had no regard for what doing that to my transcript might amount to. Is there anyway to check with LSAC what they are going to do when the grades are calculated? now I feel like im in bigggggg trouble

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to make my summary so confusing.

LSAC counted my NP as 0 from a class just like yours - I selected P/NP grading, got an NP. No original grade.

I also had some separate classes I retook where I did receive grades before and after. LSAC averaged those back in.

If I had to bet, I would say the LSAC is going to give you 0s, so plan accordingly. Keep in mind that my advice is worth what you paid for it.

finsftball4

Postby finsftball4 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:32 pm

I have a 3.0 according to my school but because of numerous NCs in my frist two years of college when I didnt know they could hurt me, the GPA that LSDAS is going to calculate is going to be around a 2.56 : ( !!! My LSAT is in less than 2 weeks and I have been scoring in the low 160s. I am trying to go to either St. Johns or Hofstra but with a GPA that low is it even worth the attempt..... I was feeling fairly comfortable with my chances with a 3.0 and 162 LSAT but now I almost feel as if all hope is lost for anthing in NY but Touro....

ashleej

Postby ashleej » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:08 pm

Had a UGPA of 3.0 and 3 credits of NC due to an injury in a running class I was taking which forced me to take a NC. LSDAS counted those 3 RUNNING credits as 0; both my GPA went down to a 2.95 and I now have 3 credits in the "F" column. This seems so unfair. Benchmark for most schools I'm applying to is a 3.0. And an injury in a running class might keep me from getting into law school. I wish you could petition for LSDAS to redo your GPA!

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:19 pm

ashleej wrote:Had a UGPA of 3.0 and 3 credits of NC due to an injury in a running class I was taking which forced me to take a NC. LSDAS counted those 3 RUNNING credits as 0; both my GPA went down to a 2.95 and I now have 3 credits in the "F" column. This seems so unfair. Benchmark for most schools I'm applying to is a 3.0. And an injury in a running class might keep me from getting into law school. I wish you could petition for LSDAS to redo your GPA!

Can you look into your University's website about whether NC is supposed to be 'punitive'? This is what I am in fear of my life for right now; that my drops in the updated transcript I just sent are going to lower my GPA

edit: even though the mark on my transcript is not supposed to be punitive, I'm still scared. According to the above posters LSAC for some reason think they have the authority to lower a university assigned GPA.

edit: if a school defines it as non-punitive, there is no good reason LSAC should lower it IMO

gprime

Postby gprime » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but regardless of intent, if the mark is just NC, rather than something more detailed, it is weighted as a 0. Somebody else posted that previously in response to an inquiry in a thread I started not too long ago. A W won't hurt you. But a WF or an NC will.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 pm

W grades are not counted unless your school considers them punitive.

However, NC grades in a "P/NC" system will be counted as F = 0.0. Other schools may call this "P/NP" or "CR/NC". It does not matter whether your university counts NC as punitive or nonpunitive.

Source: Page 37 of http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/InformationBookweb.pdf

Falcon2012

Postby Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 am

Hi everyone,

I am in the same situation as most of you. I received an NC and a S(satisfactory) grade for two courses last Fall. Now I am applying to law schools and LSDAS dropped it from 3.4 to 2.9. They gave me a 0 for 4 units of the NC course and did not calculate the S into the GPA. When I talked to them I asked them the following- " If you absolutely want to evaluate that as a failure than actually I received a grade D so you need to give me at least 1 point. Also, if you give 0 for the NC, with the same logic I must receive 4.0 for the other class that I passed." This is an unfair discrimination. They advised me that I should talk to my schools registrars office, which keeps telling me that they can't do anything and LSDAS can interpret my transcript any way that they want. I started pushing this idea that by doing so LSAC uses unfair judgement by discriminating between the classes and putting me at a disadvantage for being accepted. In response they said that everyone from my school is treated the same, due to the schools "directions" about how to treat the NCs. I am still trying to find out what are those "directions" I told LSAC that I compete not only with the students from my University, but also others. The only thing LSAC said was you are not going to get anywhere with this, but you can write us a letter. I am not a lawyer yet, but I smell a lawsuit. Please let me know your thought or if anyone was in my shoes before, I would like to know the outcome. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”