Felony success stories only

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BruceBarr

Re: Felony success stories only

Postby BruceBarr » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:50 pm

laidoffjournalist wrote:I knew that joke was coming, but I didn't want to have to state what should be obvious just to avoid the joke. :P

Matthies wrote:
the lantern wrote: DUIs are felonies in most states, I believe.

Most are misdomenaers, unless you cuase and accident or injur somome, then they have "feloney DUI" or aggirvated DUI, but usually even extreem DUI is not a felnoy unless you hit someone.

<-- speaks from experince with DUIs

Ooh, you say that like you're proud. I think people who drive drunk are pieces of shit. Anyway, in New York, you get felony DWI if have been previously arrested for DWI before. Obviously, if you cause an accident or hurt someone, you're fucked. Then you get to enroll in a treatment program, because you're a loser.

Opinion much?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:53 pm

laidoffjournalist wrote:I knew that joke was coming, but I didn't want to have to state what should be obvious just to avoid the joke. :P

Matthies wrote:

Most are misdomenaers, unless you cuase and accident or injur somome, then they have "feloney DUI" or aggirvated DUI, but usually even extreem DUI is not a felnoy unless you hit someone.

Ooh, you say that like you're proud. I think people who drive drunk are pieces of shit. Anyway, in New York, you get felony DWI if have been previously arrested for DWI before. Obviously, if you cause an accident or hurt someone, you're fucked. Then you get to enroll in a treatment program, because you're a loser.

I will whole heartedly admit I was stupid, immature, and put other people at risk. No challenges there. I’m not a saint, never have claimed to be or will claim to be. Difference between me and most people though, was I got caught. When you have never had a drink and gotten behind the wheel when you as old as I am you can cast the first stone. .08 is like two drinks for most people. Yep I got a DUI, I was stupid, and I risked people’s lives, I’ve also never had a sip of alcohol, even a taste and driven in over 10+ years. I’ve met plenty of people who condemn people with DUIs, drink, and think they are not drunk enough to get one, yet most are when they leave the bar.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:58 pm

Matthies wrote:

disagree

CRJC

Postby CRJC » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:03 pm

This is fun.

sckon

Postby sckon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Matthies wrote:

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Because I said drunken drivers are losers? Oh yeah, internet bravado at its worst. P.S. I'm not a guy.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:22 pm

wow...

...i really thought I was going to read at least one cool/redemption story by the activity in such little time this thread saw

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:27 pm

sdegarmo wrote:wow...

...i really thought I was going to read at least one cool/redemption story by the activity in such little time this thread saw

welcome to TLS...

jasmoon

Postby jasmoon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Judge Mathis.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Try getting a DWI when sober :( (breathalyzer was a 0.00 and the cop still didn't rip up the ticket so now I have to deal with fighting it). Now my apps are delayed (I'm not sending anything out until I know exactly what I have to disclose from this BS) and I may end up being screwed this whole cycle because of an obnoxious cop who thought I was a liar; wanted to apply early, now will probably have to wait until mid-December at best.

On the plus side, lawyers in family = knowing how to file a lawsuit against a municipality :D.

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:42 pm

keg411 wrote:Try getting a DWI when sober :( (breathalyzer was a 0.00 and the cop still didn't rip up the ticket so now I have to deal with fighting it). Now my apps are delayed (I'm not sending anything out until I know exactly what I have to disclose from this BS) and I may end up being screwed this whole cycle because of an obnoxious cop who thought I was a liar; wanted to apply early, now will probably have to wait until mid-December at best.

On the plus side, lawyers in family = knowing how to file a lawsuit against a municipality :D.

You blew a 0.0 and still got arrested? How can that be a lie? What blows is that cops can lie all they want, usually. He can say you refused the breathalyzer, put no breath tests on file but say he noticed signs of intoxication, thus charging you with a DWAI or something. He could probably say you failed field sobriety tests even if you didn't. Then it's your word against his. I would ask to see the police report where the cop will offer his version of what happened.

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:48 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:50 pm

talibkweli wrote:for all you know, this guy could be a rapist. he didn't specify the actual crime, which only adds to the uncertainty; had it been something relatively harmless, i feel like he would have suggested as much.

Yeah, he hasn't come back either. My money is on child molester. Disgusting sack of shit.

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:50 pm

im still waiting to hear what it was....

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:57 pm

Matthies wrote:

What the F, dude? He was just offering information.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:00 pm

talibkweli wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:
talibkweli wrote:dude, a "piece of shit?" i mean, i'd probably reserve that characterization for child molesters and murderers, but hey man if this thread gets your blood boiling to that extent then i can't do anything for you.

it sounded funny in my head and i cracked a joke. i saw it in writing and erased it. no blood, no foul, right? it amuses me to no end how everyone is a G over the internet. apparently making personal insults on the basis of what some guy posts on a message board is suddenly a valid thing to do.

No, those types of people are "worthless pieces of shit". My blood is not boiling at all, all I did was call you out for what i believe were very "assholey" remarks. I dont have a dog in the race so there is nothing personal here. IMO there is already enough douchey comments on TLS, you shouldnt be adding to it.

LOL @ the G remark when you are the one coming off sounding like the crasshole.

My point is that your comments were very unneeded and distasteful. Didnt you insult the OP???? Hmmmmm

Look man, I'll make a couple points here and that will be it on my end.

1. i'm usually the guy who mocks self-righteous TLSers for relentlessly piling on some poor schmuck with some blemish on his/her record. however, i also disdain political correctness. if everyone wants to refrain from saying what probably popped into their head when looking at the thread title, that is fine, but i certainly won't. ultimately, we all do society a great disservice by limiting the scope of what can be said publicly on the basis of our sensitivities. if some guy posts that he is a felon and demands that the thread be limited to happy felon stories, someone really should take the view that perhaps a felony could *gasp* in fact be a dealbreaker.

So thats what popped into your head when reading the thread title hmmm....WOW. This has nothing to do with being PC. You didnt take the view of a reasonable individual who wanted to let the OP know that a felony could be a deal breaker. You took the role of the asshole that makes a lame attempt to be funny. Im sure the OP knows that a felony is a hurdle, why beleaguer the point?

2. also, i think i saw you post in an old thread that you're pretty far to the left. that is cool, but there might be something of an ideological conflict here then. with some important exceptions, i'm generally pretty conservative and fall into the "law and order" camp. i tend to give people lots of credit, and therefore am comfortable with people getting the full measure of the consequences for a crime. certainly, i think people should have the chance at redemption, but if you commit a crime, you shouldn't be protected from some other guy mocking you.

lulz Ideology has nothing to do with this lmaooooo. If he committed a crime and has served his debt to society then where do you get off by condemning him for it? High horse are we????

3. for all you know, this guy could be a rapist. he didn't specify the actual crime, which only adds to the uncertainty; had it been something relatively harmless, i feel like he would have suggested as much.

For all I know you could be a rapist....

if your issue is with my tone, understand i'm largely trying to be funny. i get the sense that everyone here is holding hands and singing kumbaya or something, and therefore feel obligated to post with just my unmitigated "id" at work. i'm actually not an asshole though.

I respect your non-conformist position at the same time, this was not a case where it needed to be presented. you were the second post in the thread.

move on......

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:58 pm

laidoffjournalist wrote:
keg411 wrote:Try getting a DWI when sober :( (breathalyzer was a 0.00 and the cop still didn't rip up the ticket so now I have to deal with fighting it). Now my apps are delayed (I'm not sending anything out until I know exactly what I have to disclose from this BS) and I may end up being screwed this whole cycle because of an obnoxious cop who thought I was a liar; wanted to apply early, now will probably have to wait until mid-December at best.

You blew a 0.0 and still got arrested? How can that be a lie? What blows is that cops can lie all they want, usually. He can say you refused the breathalyzer, put no breath tests on file but say he noticed signs of intoxication, thus charging you with a DWAI or something. He could probably say you failed field sobriety tests even if you didn't. Then it's your word against his. I would ask to see the police report where the cop will offer his version of what happened.

They do the breathalyzer at the police station, not at the stop in my state (I volunteered to do it at the stop). I told the guy I wasn't drunk and he decided that I flunked the sobriety tests (I have bad eyes and was wearing heels). It's pretty much a huge mess and he's pretty much screwed considering I had nothing in my system. My friends who were in the car with me had both been drinking shots with dinner and I'm guessing he smelled that and attributed it to me. (I also was not allowed to talk to a laywer or make a phone call despite requesting it multiple times, which is part of the lawsuit).

Anway, it's pretty much a mess, but we haven't found any case law with convictions with a breathalyzer of 0.00, so I think everything should work out. It's more of just a horrible pain and embarasssment than anything else. (I'm also well over 21).

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:04 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Your cop probably wasn't an asshole :(.

It's funny since it happened, I've had several people give me "wow, I was drunk and got stopped but they totally let me go!" stories. It doesn't help; it just makes me feel like an idiot for not being able to pass a sobriety test when sober :(.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:49 pm

My father went to law school with two guys that had to get gubernatorial pardons before they could be admitted to school, one was for drug dealing and the other for some kind of assault.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Question: If having a felony on your records hurts your chances of going to law school, as say a low LSAT score would...would the opposite of this (not having a felony) help? Could I list "no felonies" as a soft?

;)
Sincerely,
Desperate to go to Law School.

ps. love the poster who said "difference between them and me was I got caught"...excellent attitude, I'm captivated by your remorse.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:24 pm

In most states if you get a felony DUI, you have so many others that the felony is going to take a backseat to your obvious addiction for C&F.

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:15 pm

BruceBarr wrote:I have a misdemeanor for kayaking in three feet of water without a life jacket (i.e. operating a watercraft without a PFD). Does that qualify? I faced 3 months jail time... pretty bad-ass.

Fun story to disclose, huh?

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:21 pm

laidoffjournalist wrote:
talibkweli wrote:for all you know, this guy could be a rapist. he didn't specify the actual crime, which only adds to the uncertainty; had it been something relatively harmless, i feel like he would have suggested as much.

Yeah, he hasn't come back either. My money is on child molester. Disgusting sack of shit.

Poor bitter angry penguin.

convicted

Postby convicted » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Last edited by convicted on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”