Felony success stories only

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jurisprudence

Felony success stories only

Postby jurisprudence » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Please read that subject line again. "Felony success stories only."

I want to be very specific here. Only people who have successfully been admitted to ABA law schools with a FELONY on their record, or people trying to get admitted with felonies, or questions regarding felonies should post here.

Why? Because I have a felony on my record, and I want this post to be available to others like myself who come here for hope and perhaps some guidance on how to get in to law school.

I know some of you are reading this and thinking, "It can't be done." I suggest you check your facts and your prejudices by clicking on this link for the NCBE. Only Mississippi outright bars one from being admitted to the bar because of a felony. And although Missouri and Texas do have five year waiting periods, they allow people opportunities to earn back the ability to be admitted.

In short, this post will be around for the next people searching for good news on TLS, and I want to provide a space for that.

I haven't gotten admitted anywhere yet, but I applied, and I have hope.

Let's hear your stories. FELONIES ONLY.

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:37 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

23fulltimecowboys

Re: Felony success stories only

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:46 am

it does happen. heard it direct from an LS dean about his school.

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:48 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:49 am

talibkweli wrote:lol. the silence is deafening.

edit: so is prison alot like that show "Oz?" did you ever "drop the soap?"

Amazing tar

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:50 am

If they take away your right to vote...

which btw I find appalling. Way to not let people who may otherwise object to the laws imposed on them or the legal process participate in either election of legislators or be representative in the judiciary.
Last edited by MC Southstar on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:51 am

I was really disappointed to find out that this thread was not about successfully committed felonies.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:09 am

puppins wrote:I was really disappointed to find out that this thread was not about successfully committed felonies.

tcr

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:10 pm

I stole the Lindbergh Baby. Havent been caught yet.

I also was the second shooter in the Kennedy Assassination.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I got caught for a bunch of shit, no felonies (fingers crossed) but I did go to school with a few people who had felonies. Several years ago ASU law school admitted a guy who had committed a murder during a drug deal gone wrong (after he got out of prison). Last I heard the AZ bar had not admitted him to practice, but they had not told him NO yet either, they said come back in a another year and we will review you again.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:18 pm

I suppose this isnt a story since I dont know the details.. but I do know a lawyer who has a very close friend (met in law school) who had a felony and got in, did very well, and is doing very well now. It's definitely possible. It would depend on the crime, how many years passed, your addendum, etc.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 pm

talibkweli wrote:
23fulltimecowboys wrote:it does happen. heard it direct from an LS dean about his school.

people also win the lottery and have their house struck by meteorites

Yea you're definitely a douchebag

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:59 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:00 pm

where is the guy who was applying to law schools from prison? I want that guy to come back.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:03 pm

On one hand, I wouldn't think certain felonies would prohibit you from going to law school. Possession of even a tiny amount of coke is a felony. DUIs are felonies in most states, I believe. While both certainly aren't any laughing matter and both reek of irresponsibility, I can't imagine that there wouldn't be a single law school that would take you, as long as you have distanced yourself from the conviction. But... society is pretty dumb sometimes. Best of luck OP.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 pm

talibkweli wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:

talibkweli wrote:
23fulltimecowboys wrote:it does happen. heard it direct from an LS dean about his school.

people also win the lottery and have their house struck by meteorites

Yea you're definitely a douchebag

oh, spare me.

for the life of me, i can't figure out why people are so touchy-feely about what is said over a message board. is it really that unreasonable to assume that a FELONY would be a significant obstacle in the admissions process? my first post pointed out the absurdity of coming a website called "Top Law Schools" in search of convicted felons. my second one just points out that peoples' random anecdotal stories don't really make for convincing evidence.

remember, sticks and stones....

Calm down son, you are operating under the assumption that I was touchy feely about the subject. I simply made a statement, I call em how I see em. For the life of me I cant figure out why people on a message board feel the need to shit on someone unnecessarily and pass it off as "I was just being honest". If you feel the need to comment negatively then why comment at all??? Just hold your peace.

Just fromm seeing your past post in other threads you seem to come off very douchey, you make VERY discouraging remarks most of the time, and try to pass it off as I was just being honest. Tact my friend, use it.

edit: and judging from your above post about drop the soap, im convinced you are a piece of shit. Carry on.
Last edited by Jay-Electronica on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wired

Postby wired » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Might as well post something...

My brother had a felony on his record. He went to a lower-ranked 100 school (highest LSAT was a 167). It was either a Class 5 or 6 Felony. I can't remember which.

Anyhow, now he is clerking for a federal district judge in the 5th Circuit. So, yeah, successes happen.

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:27 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31 pm

I have a misdemeanor for kayaking in three feet of water without a life jacket (i.e. operating a watercraft without a PFD). Does that qualify? I faced 3 months jail time... pretty bad-ass.

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:32 pm

I want to know what the OP's felony was. IMO, there should be a big difference between rape and embezzlement. Both make you a jerk, but only one makes you a disgusting monster.

the lantern wrote:DUIs are felonies in most states, I believe.

Only if you get arrested and then continue to do it multiple times. A felony and also incredibly stupid.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:37 pm

talibkweli wrote:dude, a "piece of shit?" i mean, i'd probably reserve that characterization for child molesters and murderers, but hey man if this thread gets your blood boiling to that extent then i can't do anything for you.

it sounded funny in my head and i cracked a joke. i saw it in writing and erased it. no blood, no foul, right? it amuses me to no end how everyone is a G over the internet. apparently making personal insults on the basis of what some guy posts on a message board is suddenly a valid thing to do.

No, those types of people are "worthless pieces of shit". My blood is not boiling at all, all I did was call you out for what i believe were very "assholey" remarks. I dont have a dog in the race so there is nothing personal here. IMO there is already enough douchey comments on TLS, you shouldnt be adding to it.

LOL @ the G remark when you are the one coming off sounding like the crasshole.

My point is that your comments were very unneeded and distasteful. Didnt you insult the OP???? Hmmmmm

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 pm

the lantern wrote: DUIs are felonies in most states, I believe.

Most are misdomenaers, unless you cuase and accident or injur somome, then they have "feloney DUI" or aggirvated DUI, but usually even extreem DUI is not a felnoy unless you hit someone.

<-- speaks from experince with DUIs

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 pm

laidoffjournalist wrote:I want to know what the OP's felony was. IMO, there should be a big difference between rape and embezzlement. Both make you a jerk, but only one makes you a disgusting monster.

Wow. You really feel strongly about embezzlerers, huh?

laidoffjournalist

Postby laidoffjournalist » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:44 pm

I knew that joke was coming, but I didn't want to have to state what should be obvious just to avoid the joke. :P

Matthies wrote:
the lantern wrote: DUIs are felonies in most states, I believe.

Most are misdomenaers, unless you cuase and accident or injur somome, then they have "feloney DUI" or aggirvated DUI, but usually even extreem DUI is not a felnoy unless you hit someone.

<-- speaks from experince with DUIs

Ooh, you say that like you're proud. I think people who drive drunk are pieces of shit. Anyway, in New York, you get felony DWI if have been previously arrested for DWI before. Obviously, if you cause an accident or hurt someone, you're fucked. Then you get to enroll in a treatment program, because you're a loser.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”