Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 am

Any school that required a Dean's Certification was nixed off my list.

I could understand one if I had a discipline issue, or once I matriculate. I knew my dean and he's still at my Alma mater in a different position, but the form seems not to care. Just something else to send in.

U. Washington & Brooklyn both lost applications.

User avatar
Pankun
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Pankun » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:45 am

I guess the UC school system is overly bureaucratic because I was also very annoyed with UCLA and Berkeley. Parent's income when I was in high school?? Does anyone know why this might matter or what role this information might play? At the end of the day, I'll be doing FAFSA anyway ...

User avatar
bluejayk
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby bluejayk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I hope Cornell realizes El Eng, is electrical engineering, and not spanglish for "the english".


As long as your personal statement wasn't about your love of Mexican wrestling, you'll probably be okay.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that other people are frustrated with this stupid crap. I was surprised how quickly I lost patience for this crap. UCLA's is easily the worst I've seen, but there's some others out there that I'm considering that are also a pain in the ass.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:47 pm

bluejayk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I hope Cornell realizes El Eng, is electrical engineering, and not spanglish for "the english".


As long as your personal statement wasn't about your love of Mexican wrestling, you'll probably be okay.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that other people are frustrated with this stupid crap. I was surprised how quickly I lost patience for this crap. UCLA's is easily the worst I've seen, but there's some others out there that I'm considering that are also a pain in the ass.


University of Indiana-Bloomington received the worst addendum ever from me, because they want to know every driving ticket a person got. It was basically, "I got three tickets over the last 5 years for speeding, more info available if requested."

Do they expect me to go get police records about speeding? Especially when they hand out acceptances to anyone who can score a 164?

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:49 pm

How has no one mentioned Yale yet?

User avatar
Pankun
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Pankun » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:51 pm

puppins wrote:How has no one mentioned Yale yet?


I don't want to talk bad in case they're listening.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Pankun wrote:
puppins wrote:How has no one mentioned Yale yet?


I don't want to talk bad in case they're listening.

:shock:


good call.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:29 pm

..

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby keg411 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:33 pm

HWS08 wrote:Awww, I liked the GMU word limit, but I am a very concise writer. So far I hate Northeastern because I think their optional essay topics are lame, but I still feel like I should do one because I need a safety in Boston.


Northeastern got dropped because of those optional essays (and also because it was the most expensive school I was applying to). While I'm sure it's a fun city, I don't need to go to Boston.

SMU and Tennesse both have more essays than I really want to deal with (and I need to taylor the SMU PS to the Part Time program). Same goes for Brooklyn with both the "Why X" AND the Dean's Cert (I've been out of school for years. I don't even really understand the point). And Cincy also wants to know every traffic ticket in the past 10 years.

Was going to send my apps out this weekend, but an issue popped up and now I have to wait until it's resolved (I shoudn't have to report it because it was a 100% false accusation which can be proven false and should be finished with tomorrow).

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Any school that required a Dean's Certification was nixed off my list.

I could understand one if I had a discipline issue, or once I matriculate. I knew my dean and he's still at my Alma mater in a different position, but the form seems not to care. Just something else to send in.

U. Washington & Brooklyn both lost applications.


Good, less competition for me. But yeah, it is annoying asking someone you don't really know from a college you haven't been to in 3 years to basically just verify basic information.

User avatar
mountaintime
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:38 pm

.

Postby mountaintime » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:47 pm

.
Last edited by mountaintime on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby deadpanic » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:52 pm

I thought Tennessee's was pretty damn annoying. I had to trim my personal statement & write another essay, both 500 words each. I'm sure there are much worse, but it wasn't fun.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:03 pm

I completely dropped Connecticut because they wanted supporting depositions and police records for my two speeding tickets.

Considering saying eff UNC because of the needless essays involved.

User avatar
S de Garmeaux
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby S de Garmeaux » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:16 pm

In addition mailing in signed verification, Colorado also makes you mail in a check to pay for the App, no LSAC credit card payment

User avatar
Foozle
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Foozle » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:25 pm

I didn't really have a problem with Cornell's space for putting in your undergraduate major.

I managed to fit in "Economics, Political Science" just fine.

Can someone explain to me why they had a problem with it?

User avatar
Whats an URM?
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Whats an URM? » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:33 pm

Pankun wrote:I guess the UC school system is overly bureaucratic because I was also very annoyed with UCLA and Berkeley. Parent's income when I was in high school?? Does anyone know why this might matter or what role this information might play? At the end of the day, I'll be doing FAFSA anyway ...


I appreciated the UCLA app. I did that first (applied ED) and answered all the questions including the one that asked about my parents' income during my years in high school. I actually appreciated that question because it gave me space to divulge information I didn't have room to do elsewhere. My father was unemployed most of my high school years, so our family income was ~$50,000 with unemployment wages. Those times had a big effect on my outlook and my confidence to succeed in a world where my father couldn't, and I'm glad I got a chance to explain this. Anyways, doing the UCLA app first made all the others easier, since I had written every essay any other school could possibly ask for. I would recommend doing this to others who apply in the following years.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Iowa's app is pretty annoying as well. I had to alter my resume and PS, and they have you list all the other schools you are applying to. I had a lot, so it makes me think they might not accept me for YP reasons, even though my LSAT and GPA are above medians. Not gonna make me cry, to say the least.

2013esq
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby 2013esq » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Whats an URM? wrote:
Pankun wrote:I guess the UC school system is overly bureaucratic because I was also very annoyed with UCLA and Berkeley. Parent's income when I was in high school?? Does anyone know why this might matter or what role this information might play? At the end of the day, I'll be doing FAFSA anyway ...


I appreciated the UCLA app. I did that first (applied ED) and answered all the questions including the one that asked about my parents' income during my years in high school. I actually appreciated that question because it gave me space to divulge information I didn't have room to do elsewhere. My father was unemployed most of my high school years, so our family income was ~$50,000 with unemployment wages. Those times had a big effect on my outlook and my confidence to succeed in a world where my father couldn't, and I'm glad I got a chance to explain this. Anyways, doing the UCLA app first made all the others easier, since I had written every essay any other school could possibly ask for. I would recommend doing this to others who apply in the following years.


Same here. My mom unemployed and our family income was often $0 - I appreciated the extra space to share.

User avatar
voice of reason
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby voice of reason » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:16 pm

Pankun wrote:I guess the UC school system is overly bureaucratic because I was also very annoyed with UCLA and Berkeley. Parent's income when I was in high school?? Does anyone know why this might matter or what role this information might play?


They ask this to figure out of you were disadvantaged. It's part of the University of California's alternative to race-conscious affirmative action.

Jagg3003
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Jagg3003 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:40 am

BLS's was incredibly annoying, besides the Dean Cert. they wanted a separate addendum for everything! Increase in LSAT score? Write an addendum. Changed your major? Write an addendum. Been out of school for more than six months? Write an addendum. Enough already!

Glad I got that off my chest.

bjf
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 am

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby bjf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:57 am

Right there with you, Jagg. It is rediculous they want all those addendums. I'm not looking forward to writing them.

Kardashian
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Kardashian » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:03 pm

This forum must have read my mind bc I was literally just going on a rampage to co-workers about how I hate when law schools ask you why you are applying to their law school (ND and Northwestern..cough cough)
Obviously I am applying bc you are good law school and possible like your geographical location, not much more to say than that

Oh and Northwestern I really hate your "what are your career interests after law school?" and "what are your long term career goals?"

I can answer both very simply. "to be an attorney"

Ughh so annoying....

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Oban » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Kardashian wrote:This forum must have read my mind bc I was literally just going on a rampage to co-workers about how I hate when law schools ask you why you are applying to their law school (ND and Northwestern..cough cough)
Obviously I am applying bc you are good law school and possible like your geographical location, not much more to say than that

Oh and Northwestern I really hate your "what are your career interests after law school?" and "what are your long term career goals?"

I can answer both very simply. "to be an attorney"

Ughh so annoying....


Depual is a good law school in the same geographical location, and you'd still be an attourney after graduating there.

Why should northwestern take you if your reasons are so plain?

thats the point of their questions.

Kardashian
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Which schools have the most annoying application forms?

Postby Kardashian » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:57 pm

if they want reasons for why they should take me then they can feel free to look at my resume, personal statement, and diversity statement. I can do the exact same type of law at depaul and northwestern, except obviously one is a better school, thus why I would choose northwestern. Not to mention, many people dont know what type of law they want to do. Lame and you are lame for defending it.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:00 pm

.
Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests