Last day to bid on consulting & support PI Law! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Get consulting from the creator of LSP & support PI Law!

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:52 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I figured that might be the case. But more specifically, are you a lawyer? Have you run a law school admissions office before? I mean people may not like Anna Ivey, but she has.

With a "buy it now" of $4000, I'm hoping you have some comparable credentials.
The individual you're asking about is the creator of Law School Predictor, a trusted and heavily used tool for determining odds of law school admissions. He is also an admin on Top-Law-Schools.com and has repeatedly given solid advice to applicants as well as written several articles which are visible in the "TLS Content Competitions" category and demonstrate his extensive knowledge of the law school admissions process. There are many people (including OperaSoprano, see above) who would vouch for his expertise and helpfulness.

Of course, this is an auction we're talking about. You don't have to pay $4,000 if you don't believe his services are worth that much. Is it worth $4,000? Maybe, maybe not, depends on how much money you have to blow and how impressed you are with his existing contributions to LSP and TLS. But the Buy It Now option expired when bids were placed, and there is no reserve price, meaning it can go for substantially less than that. Right now the bidding is at... lemme see... $174.50. Are 20 hours of his time worth that much? Most certainly, that would be an absolute bargain, not to mention that the money raised goes to charity, and a rather good cause I might add.

People on TLS trust his judgment every day for free. The question is, how much would it be worth to have his full attention focused just on you and your cycle? The answer will of course be the high bid. (All hail the free market! :lol:)

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:55 pm

soullesswonder wrote: WTF does being a lawyer have to do with this?

If you don't think YCrev's credentials are up to snuff, then don't bid.
well hold on. I'm interested in bidding, but I want to know a little more...that could be a lot of money. I don thnk it's an unfair question. The package looks great, but I'd like to know what specific knowledge and experience I'll be paying for. It's not meant as an insult.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:59 pm

I agree about the free market thing. I also think that it's worth asking about. Just because I'm not bidding doesn't mean I shouldn't be critical. For the record, I'm a 2L so I won't be bidding for these services.

I understand that he made this law school predictor website. That's fantastic and I'm knocking that at all. What I'm not sure about is what this gives you in terms of telling people how to write their essays or deal with scholarships or that sort of thing.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:27 pm

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:05 am

awesomepossum wrote:What I'm not sure about is what this gives you in terms of telling people how to write their essays or deal with scholarships or that sort of thing.
Get off his balls. He's doing it for charity for christ's sake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:13 am

As his fellow mod, I just want to weigh in on Evan's specialized knowledge. Every week, he and I (and the others, of course) field dozens of requests for help from applicants. As a result, we've seen the best and the worst of this process.

I would not underestimate the wealth of knowledge that Evan gained from his many connections in the online community. Given any range of schools the winning bidder is interested in, he'll know current students who can add their own insight. I submit that he is in a better position to be a consultant than someone many years out of law school, precisely because of his far reaching network of friends who are current students. Even adcomms don't necessarily know what adcomms at other schools want. What my own dean recommends to get off the Fordham waitlist is diametrically opposed to the info in the Yale Admissions Blog. Some schools expect and desire frequent contact; others will throw your waitlisted app in the circular file if you email more than once.

In addition, Evan has a private database of LSP users who gave him information about the dispositions of their cycles. My own data is in there somewhere.

I applaud Evan heartily for what he's doing on behalf of public interest students at his school. I believe he has the knowledge and experience necessary to guide students through this process, and he'll be a wonderful consultant to the lucky winner.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:54 am

I'm not trying to be "on his balls." I started asking questions because the original post had nothing about what his qualifications are so I think asking questions about that is perfectly legitimate. If you're advertising some product on a MESSAGE BOARD, I think it's quite within expectations to have people ask about what the value proposition of that product is.

I think the question has been answered, so I'm cool with it.

My personal OPINION is that while helping with college admissions and coming up with a website seems pretty cool, I'm still pretty skeptical about how that helps in terms of having legitimate advice about how law school admissions works that you could actually charge for. I know plenty of folks who have actually worked with their law school admissions offices (including myself) and I don't think they would be qualified to charge money either...for their law school or for themselves or whatever. The one thing that he does have is the info in that LSP program he's come up with. I'm sure that he might be very good at figuring out what the odds are of getting into whatever school. Beyond that, I don't know.

I actually know a few upperclassmen at certain law schools who have done this too....and for all of them I've felt pretty bad for whoever was shelling out money for their advice that would be good for free but pretty questionable as something they'd be paying money for. I personally think it's a pretty bad idea to shell out a fair amount of money to somebody a couple years out of college and a 1L in law school and expect them to evaluate your essays and otherwise rely on them to improve your odds of getting into a good law school.

On the other hand, I know that Kaplan for example does this sort of thing too and I have no idea who those people are either. They could be random underclassmen at law schools too for all I know, or people who haven't even applied to law school.

In any case, as the previous poster stated, it is a free market so that's fine...but remember that free markets need good access to information. That's what keeps people from getting ripped off.

BTW OS, just because you've fielded a bunch of questions doesn't mean that you actually know the right answers. Even if Ken decided he wanted to do this, I'd be pretty skeptical. I don't know how knowing a bunch of law school students helps either. I think for evaluating essays in particular, I'd like to see someone who can really show that they can write well or evaluate good writing. The OP seems to think he can do that, so that's fine and good I guess.

All I can say at the end of the day is I hope that the OP really does help people and most importantly at the end of the day not hurt anybody.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:29 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:03 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:06 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Wow YC, this is awesome. I echo some of the other comments wishing that this would have come earlier in the cycle... I definitely would have considered bidding.

Edit for typo :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:51 pm

This sounds like a great service for all of the people making "175/3.9... Chances at Harvard???" threads

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:02 pm

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:47 pm

I wanted to bust his balls for this, but the fact that it's for charity makes it next to impossible. :(

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:11 pm

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:13 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Only a little over 24 hours left to bid: --LinkRemoved--
Less than three hours to go!
I think you'll get a lot more money next time if you do it in August instead.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:15 pm

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:17 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Veteran eBayers know that you only bid in the last minute so as to avoid running up the bid.
Yeah, but how many TLSers are you expecting to be veteran eBayers?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:31 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Vincent Vega

Silver

Re: Last day to bid on consulting & support PI Law!

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how did this turn out? Who won, if anyone knows, and how much did it go for?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Last day to bid on consulting & support PI Law!

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Actually it's probably time to revive this concept again. The bidding should happen now (or soon) for folks starting their cycles this summer/fall, if YCR is going to offer this again.

If he does, since it'll benefit PILA, I'd be willing to volunteer my services to the package as well. That way you'd get full "start-to-finish" application assistance from two prominent TLS posters. That is, if my presence would increase and not decrease the value of the package. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”