Yale's looonnngggg application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fidesverita

Yale's looonnngggg application

Postby fidesverita » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Does anyone else find Yale's application a bit ridiculous? They say the resume is optional, so does that mean they want us to list the activity/job, our position, a description, dates, and hours/week? The instructions don't ask for a description, but how else are they looking at these answers?

Or do they just want a list of activities we were involved with and our titles?

Anyone have recs for organizing the "separate sheets of paper" for Questions for 4-12?

wired

Re: Yale's looonnngggg application

Postby wired » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:00 pm

fidesverita wrote:Does anyone else find Yale's application a bit ridiculous?

I don't have answers to any other questions, but it is a genius move on Yale's part. The length deters applicants who are whimsically thinking about Yale, thereby saving Yale the time considering the application and responding to emails about an application from people who do not have very good odds.

And it lets them gather enough info to admit a few below-165 applicants.

Here's to Yale.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:44 pm

fidesverita wrote:Does anyone else find Yale's application a bit ridiculous?

It's Yale. They can have you fill out a 5000 page application and people will still do it.

Besides, it's a good way to learn to take it up the ass before entering law school.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Most of the application should be just copy/pasting from your Resume and then making them into separate word documents. Almost all the stuff they ask for should already appear word-for-word in your Resume, anyway.

The Y250, on the other hand, is a pain in the ass.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:49 pm

GeePee wrote:Most of the application should be just copy/pasting from your Resume and then making them into separate word documents. Almost all the stuff they ask for should already appear word-for-word in your Resume, anyway.

Are you still gonna submit your resume?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
GeePee wrote:Most of the application should be just copy/pasting from your Resume and then making them into separate word documents. Almost all the stuff they ask for should already appear word-for-word in your Resume, anyway.

Are you still gonna submit your resume?

Yeah, I feel like it'll be a more concise reference than every other separate page, if they want to see all of me at the same time, or at least close (my resume is a little over a page)

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Good tip. I'll just copy and paste from my resume into separate pages for their questions. Not really sure what they want anyway. I'll also include a resume (because frankly, it's well organized and looks much better).

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 pm

fidesverita wrote:Does anyone else find Yale's application a bit ridiculous? They say the resume is optional, so does that mean they want us to list the activity/job, our position, a description, dates, and hours/week? The instructions don't ask for a description, but how else are they looking at these answers?

Anyone have recs for organizing the "separate sheets of paper" for Questions for 4-12?

yeah who do they think they are? the best law school in the world or something?

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Are you guys answering 5a, b, and c each on separate pages, or all together? Both seem to be a reasonable interpretation of the instructions.

ankit

Postby ankit » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Thought I'd jump in and do my bit to help here. I'd asked them the same questions via email and here are their exact responses -

1) Should I attach a separate addendum for each question? Or can just one document cover them all (except for the 250-word essay and Personal Statement)
- Answers to the questions can all be in one attachment.

2) Are there specific instructions for the length of answers to these questions or the formatting of the attachments?
- We have no specific instructions on the length of the answers or the formatting. In general, the documents should be double-spaced where appropriate.

3) Should question 5a also cover work experience? Also does what would be activities covered under 5c and not under 5a? I would assume that extra-curricular activities would cover everything non-academic and non-work related.
- Question 5a asks for activities during college. Question 5b asks for information regarding jobs you had in college and during vacation. Question 5c is for any activities you didn't list in 5a or 5b.

4) For Q6, do you expect an essay on my progress since graduation or just a list of activities I have been involved in? In essence should this be descriptive or more factual? I have been out of school for 4 years in a full time job.
- You can answer Question 6 with just of list of activities. You should probably add a brief description of the various jobs you have had since you left school.

Hope this is helpful to all!

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Very helpful. Thanks a lot.

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:36 pm

SO helpful. Thanks for posting that.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 pm

jcunni5 wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Does anyone else find Yale's application a bit ridiculous? They say the resume is optional, so does that mean they want us to list the activity/job, our position, a description, dates, and hours/week? The instructions don't ask for a description, but how else are they looking at these answers?

Yeah, that's unnecessary, jcunni5. Just asking how other's have done the short answers required for the app.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful!

duodora

Postby duodora » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:25 am

*blink*

Am I the only one that didn't find it ridiculous?

I'm not trying to flame or anything...

But yeah for all the individual questions I just copy/pasted from my resume. I know this sounds weird but I actually enjoyed writing my 250 word essay...it was kind of like a puzzle. (yeeess I'm lame).

Finally...I also *really* appreciated the questions about 1) taking an LSAT prep class and 2) who helped you on your apps. It just seemed like relevant info that no other schools (that I applied to) asked.

there's just my .02...but hey, what do I know? Maybe I oversimplified things so they'll just throw my app in the trash and be like "this girl can't read english"

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:50 am

You're right duodora, I also really appreciated the extra questions about the lsat.

I guess I find it tough is because I find copying and pasting from my resume rather pointless. They can just take a look at my resume, which is well organized, and I'm not sure if they're asking for a judgment call (like listing my activities from most important to least important, regardless of timeline).

Plus the extra pages make the app look huge, and I hate a big mess.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:04 am

fidesverita wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:

Yeah, that's unnecessary, jcunni5. Just asking how other's have done the short answers required for the app.

Sorry, I was just kidding dude, i wasn't trying to insult. i haven't ever looked at Yale's app and just found it kinda funny that they would make their app ridiculously hard just cause they are yale

adrib

Postby adrib » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:07 am

ahhh, the benefits of sucking at the LSAT. no Yale app for me!

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:40 pm

How did you all answer the "receive help preparing this application"??

I am unsure if editing service counts as yes. Sounds like they mean something heavier, involving telling you what to say (they give as e.g. admissions consultant, prelaw advisor)

OldLawyer09

Postby OldLawyer09 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:45 pm

I think an editing service should be listed. I said that I received proofreading help from friends and family.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:38 pm

OldLawyer09 wrote:I think an editing service should be listed. I said that I received proofreading help from friends and family.

So you even mentioned that? If I had thought about it that way, I would have mentioned it. It's just their examples were all pretty heavy-duty, and I didn't know if "preparing application" indicated something high-level, like actually doing it for you, telling you what to say, literally doing the app for you.

thoughts? :?

OldLawyer09

Postby OldLawyer09 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:48 pm

I figured that for the school that wants you to disclose speeding tickets, it was better to be safe than sorry. Although I read it as anything that you pay for should be disclosed. Maybe I am just paranoid though.

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:53 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
OldLawyer09 wrote:I think an editing service should be listed. I said that I received proofreading help from friends and family.

So you even mentioned that? If I had thought about it that way, I would have mentioned it. It's just their examples were all pretty heavy-duty, and I didn't know if "preparing application" indicated something high-level, like actually doing it for you, telling you what to say, literally doing the app for you.

thoughts? :?

Yeah I'm going to say my family edited my essay. I have a question: when you guys say you copy-and-pasted sections of your resume, did you literally copy-and-paste, or did you also copy the content but turned the bullet-points into complete sentences?

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah an editing service would definitely count. Anyone/thing you can afford to hire or get help from counts as help.

Do they expect us to give a detailed answers about who helped us proofread, though? Like friends/family?

Also, I just want to confirm if 5B means PAID work (it says self-support employment). Most of my work was paid, but a few internships were unpaid (slave labor...).

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:30 pm

fidesverita wrote:Yeah an editing service would definitely count. Anyone/thing you can afford to hire or get help from counts as help.

Do they expect us to give a detailed answers about who helped us proofread, though? Like friends/family?

Also, I just want to confirm if 5B means PAID work (it says self-support employment). Most of my work was paid, but a few internships were unpaid (slave labor...).

EDIT: Hmm, guess not. That's interesting.
Last edited by GeePee on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”