Applications already complete, will schools see LSAT reg? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deadlinguo

New

Applications already complete, will schools see LSAT reg?

Post by deadlinguo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 am

I sent my apps a few weeks ago and I'm already complete at several schools since I took the LSAT in the past, but recently I've been thinking I want to re-take in December. I've heard it's possible that LSAC will inform the schools where I'm already complete that I'm signed up for December, but I don't want this to delay my decision especially since I'm EA at several schools that I think I can get into with my current numbers. Do you guys know anything about this?

nycparalegal

Bronze

Re: Applications already complete, will schools see LSAT reg?

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 am

I actually had the same question. I'm not sure about how it affects EA but when I called Brooklyn Law School, they explained to me that "schools will see that you have a upcoming test and will holdoff on reviewing your application until you take that test. They will not review your application with one score and then go back after you took a test and review it again"

So, does that answer your question?

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:32 am

nycparalegal wrote:I actually had the same question. I'm not sure about how it affects EA but when I called Brooklyn Law School, they explained to me that "schools will see that you have a upcoming test and will holdoff on reviewing your application until you take that test. They will not review your application with one score and then go back after you took a test and review it again"

So, does that answer your question?
I'm not sure. I get the second part, where they won't review the same application twice, but is it possible that they'll just go ahead and review an already complete file? The reason I'm re-taking is so that I can apply to schools that are out of my range currently, and maybe get off a few waiting lists.

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:46 am

if you are an auto admit, they will go ahead and review it most likely. the school will be able to tell you are registered when they go to review. generally that means they put a hold on the file. some schools (in my case) have actually called and asked me to waive that "hold" so they can review my app now and get me a decision. hope this helps

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 am

If you retake the LSAT and apply to different schools, then you should be fine. They will only view your new score. But if you have some schools that you applied to already, then I think you need to inform the schools not to hold off on your application; the schools will see that your re-taking and may wait until your new score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:05 pm

:shock: Somebody needs to clear this up for all of us...

LSAC told me that schools don't see you're registered unless you tell them.

So what gives?? I want to the truth! :twisted:

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:09 pm

CordeliusX wrote::shock: Somebody needs to clear this up for all of us...

ok, i may have misunderstood your original post. i think i get it now. if you applied and did not indicate on that app that you planned on taking the LSAT in Dec, then the school may not know you are taking it. it would be in your best interest to let them know you are re-taking and would like them to hold off on the review until the score is reported. sorry for the confusion!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:14 pm

This question has yet to be definitively answered. I have spoken to LSAC several times and they claim that schools will not see upcoming registrations -- BUT that you are obligated to list them.

In my case, however, I am submitting now with my September score, but had signed up for December. I have now submitted for a refund/withdrawal from the December test, but it is taking weeks to process. I hope schools don't see it and get the wrong idea.

There was a poster in another thread who claimed to have been contacted by UVA when they "saw", via LSAC, that he was taking an upcoming LSAT. So who knows how it really works?

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Yeah, sorry I should have made that more clear. I didn't indicate on my app that I'm taking in December cause I hadn't decided yet. What I'm wondering is if I sign up now, will LSAC go to the trouble of making sure all the schools where I'm already complete know I registered? I don't want that to slow down any decisions, especially since I applied early for the boost. If I do improve significantly in December, I'll use the score to apply to schools that were high reaches before and also get off some waitlists. If not, then no big deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:30 pm

When I spoke to Brooklyn Law School, they indicated to me that they will be able to see that you have an upcoming test registered. So, I'm not sure what LSAC policies are about this but this is what the admissions office at BLS told me.

If I were you, I think you should inform the schools that you will be taking the upcoming test because a)what happens if you score lower and b) taking the test and not telling them seems a little too slick.

Just my opinion.

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Well, I certainly don't want to get in trouble for violating any policies or regulations.

To me, it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If I decided to re-take in Feb instead of Dec I'd already have most of my decisions, and I'd still have the option of using it to apply to higher schools and get off waitlists. Or I could wait until June for a re-take, score better, and just withdraw all my apps and reapply next cycle.

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Okay so, I have no definitive answer, but this information may help somewhat:

1) I took the September test, got my score and decided to retake in December. Then, I started to question if a retake made sense in my case. I sent in applications to a few safety schools where my current numbers should be sufficient.

2) Though I had not noted that I was retaking the exam, as I wasn't certain that I was, one of the schools placed a hold on my application until the new LSAT score. This school must have found out about my December LSAT registration from LSAC.

3) I nicely emailed this school and requested that they release the hold and consider my current numbers and they, very nicely, agreed to do so. Problem solved? I guess so.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:47 pm

I struggle with this myself. I am registered, but that doesn't mean I'll go through with it. That said, I am afraid I will devalue my application if they think I'm being shifty.

Even so, I'd rather have them decide now without knowing I'll retake... I figure if I'm any good, I'll at least be waitlisted in which case another, hopefully better, score will help me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:49 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:Okay so, I have no definitive answer, but this information may help somewhat:

2) Though I had not noted that I was retaking the exam, as I wasn't certain that I was, one of the schools placed a hold on my application until the new LSAT score. This school must have found out about my December LSAT registration from LSAC. .
So if LSAC claims they can't find out, how are they finding out? Didn't think this would be so hard. I might call them with this question in mind. It's maddening the chief org. doesn't have its facts straight about this.

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 pm

deadlinguo wrote:Well, I certainly don't want to get in trouble for violating any policies or regulations.

To me, it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If I decided to re-take in Feb instead of Dec I'd already have most of my decisions, and I'd still have the option of using it to apply to higher schools and get off waitlists. Or I could wait until June for a re-take, score better, and just withdraw all my apps and reapply next cycle.
Most schools won't consider the February LSAT for this cycle anyhow, so that kind of goes out the window. I really don't see the problem with letting them know. If you are going to be accepted with your current score, then ask the schools to waive any holds due to the re-take. if you are waiting for a higher score, ask the schools to please hold their decisions until the score is reported. LSAC will be able to report it to them, and if there is a hold due to the re-take, the school will be looking for it

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Schools can see it - even if you don't tell them.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:22 pm

ruleser wrote:

Schools can see it - even if you don't tell them.
To piggyback on my own thread, which I just updated, I got it confirmed by LSAC again that they cannot see future registrations.

How do you figure they can? Is there definite proof that someone other than the applicant is telling them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amassa

New

Post by amassa » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:27 am

Read through all messages in this thread and still don't know what to think...

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:35 am

Schools can see it - don't know why LSAT told otherwise to above poster unless it changed this cycle. Last cycle, I applied to a school and then then e-mailed, "We see you are registered to take the xxx LSAT..." - and just to be clear, it wasn't listed on the aps because I wasn't sure if I would actually retake when I submitted.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 am

I think they can see it on the LSDAS report, but if you register after it was sent and you went complete, how would they know? I highly doubt they continually look up the thousands of students who apply.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:01 am

blhoward2 wrote:I think they can see it on the LSDAS report, but if you register after it was sent and you went complete, how would they know? I highly doubt they continually look up the thousands of students who apply.
Schools get/can run reports. For example, after the deposit deadline in June, schools get a report of which of their students still have deposits at other schools - they will write you and tell you you have to withrdaw. The same way they could just get regular reports of which of their applicants are currently registered to take an LSAT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:49 am

ruleser wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:I think they can see it on the LSDAS report, but if you register after it was sent and you went complete, how would they know? I highly doubt they continually look up the thousands of students who apply.
Schools get/can run reports. For example, after the deposit deadline in June, schools get a report of which of their students still have deposits at other schools - they will write you and tell you you have to withrdaw. The same way they could just get regular reports of which of their applicants are currently registered to take an LSAT.
Sure, they can...but we're talking thousands of apps. Why would they bother with people they haven't admitted yet? It would be a huge manpower waste. It's different once they have it narrowed down and they are verifying that people will matriculate.

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:18 pm

oh crap! I'm in the same boat. I applied to a few schools, but did NOT indicate I am re-taking the test because I am afraid I will do worse (I performed quite badly due to nerves), and with these schools I am hoping my score is sufficient. And IF I hear back from these schools before December 5, then I might not even take the test at all ! But now I am super worried. :( I even applied ED to American U and did not indicate I would be re-taking the test because AU requires a score before December, not sure if the Dec 5 score would count, but I was hoping to receive a decision before then anyhow. Now I am really worried. What should I do???

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:45 pm

When I made the call to re-take, I e-mailed all my schools and requested a hold pending DecLSAT.

I was "under review" in several cases and complete in just about all of them. But everybody told me they'll gladly wait and pull my score when it's ready (except for the ones who've been spotty with communication the whole time, and I'm assuming I'm fine there, and even if not, they're mostly safeties anyway).

You should not assume they'll get the score without your heads up (though surely they can w/o your go-ahead). As has been said, we're talking thousands of apps — Hell, Hastings told me they might actually forget to pull my new score anyway, warning me that there are no guarantees.

That said, if you're worried about bombing and can't overcome your nerves, then maybe you shouldn't re-take. ... But buck up. You've taken it once and know what it entails, and you should be fine. If you're good enough for American ED with your current score, then you'll be good enough for American, regular-style, when you nab those extra points on Dec. 5.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:38 pm

This may be school specific, but on my apps there was a box to check if you are re-taking the LSAT and want the school to wait until they get your new LSAT score to review your app/make a decision.

The Admis. Director I spoke with told me that if I did not check that box on my app they would automatically use the score I already have.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”