Pacific McGeorge School of Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JollyGreenGiant

Re: Pacific McGeorge School of Law

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:59 am

kalvano wrote:Hmm, this seems to have upset you.

And I doubt it's that easy...they have to plug individual numbers into the specific emails. It seems like a waste of time to me, much like your oddly defensive arguments.

Well, it does sound kind of crazy that you think they don't have some type of program to do this for them..

For example.. the Northeastern e-mails that went out said "Dear, First Name" on them. And they said it was a glitch that caused that. I'm guessing they don't go through every application and fill in first names and other information.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:06 am

in other news, the red wings destroyed the columbus blue jackets 9-1

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:14 am

They aren't near as bad as everyone is making them out to be, they are just VERY regional. Here in Reno around 80% of practicing attorney's and Judges graduated from there. Just one of those things I guess.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:19 am

As long as people aren't taking out mega debt for this school, I don't see the problem. Seems like a rather random one to pick on.

opus127

Postby opus127 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:58 am

For what it's worth, Justice Kennedy taught Constitutional Law there for 23 years.

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:10 pm

kalvano wrote:But someone has to plug the right numbers into the emails, and also do the searching.

Seems like a waste of time to me.

Actually, it's quite easy. You just need the right program...they send out a template email to all those with certain numbers, and the data fields are populated with information on LSAC. I did this all the time when I was an HR manager responding to 200 applicants for a job.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Eh, I applied there. I wouldn't recommend anybody apply who isn't prepared to do non-biglaw work in Sacramento or Reno.

If you can't make T14, might as well shoot for money at a school with regional recognition. I'm not sure McGeorge with a huge pile of money isn't at least competitive with none at Davis.

oopivyoo

Postby oopivyoo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
izzytovar wrote:I love the elitist attitude held by so many on this board. While it is no HYS, it is also a far cry from a Cooley. There is a place for any school in the top 100, just as there is a desire for many to attend any school of their choosing. Yes, my numbers keep me from attending school with many of the elitists on here and I do not necessarily find that a bad thing. Any school that is ABA certified and not provisional or on probation is fine with me. There are many more factors to consider when choosing which school to attend. I do not walk around expecting to work in Big Law nor do I expect to blow my nose with $100 bills. I only hope to make my mark and take care of my family.

While I agree with what you're saying.. this forum is called top law schools...

Technically, it is a top law school...top 100.

No it isn't http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Whoops, that should have been a 2.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Poor kalvano is really getting beat around in this thread.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:18 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

One self-described loser who it seems works for the school, and a typo?

:P

Kobe19

Postby Kobe19 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:25 pm

I think it may be appropropriate to put it here.... what's Phoenix School of Law ????

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:26 pm

I was serioulsy thinking about going there for my J.S.D in International Water Law becuase its the only program like it in the country. But anouther two years of law school plus a move would have killed me. If they give me a stpind maybe, but I doubt its funded.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 pm

kalvano wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

One self-described loser who it seems works for the school, and a typo?

:P

Come on now. It doesn't take much sense to realize that admissions people aren't filling in those e-mails by hand. They were obviously using a program.

And if you're gonna make a sarcastic quip about being a "top 200" school you should prolly proofread what you're typing. :wink:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:34 pm

I know they aren't doing everything by hand, but someone still has to be running the program and doing searches, and when you find an applicant the numbers still have to be punched in to that particular email. We had programs like it at work, and you could sort through people based on certain stats, but someone had to go in and match numbers to people and input those.

They may have a different program, but that's what I am used to.

And it was late and I was tired. Us old people wear out easy.

Hush your mouth, whippersnapper.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm 45.

in dog years

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:39 pm

I'm dead in dog years.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 pm

NayBoer wrote:Eh, I applied there. I wouldn't recommend anybody apply who isn't prepared to do non-biglaw work in Sacramento or Reno.

If you can't make T14, might as well shoot for money at a school with regional recognition. I'm not sure McGeorge with a huge pile of money isn't at least competitive with none at Davis.

I have a friend at McGeorge that is 3L right now.

At first I thought the school was terrible, but as I learn more about things, it's certainly not a bad choice depending on what you want. If you want to work in the government, a regional school in Sacramento probably isn't a bad place. If you have the scores, I'm sure they'll offer out some money. If you want to work in Sac, and again have the good numbers, why not? Where else you gonna go?

I'm realizing this more and more (what you said): If you aren't going top-14, you are going regional. If you are going regional, F- the US news rankings (for the most part), look at regional placement/reputation, and go where you want to work, and the school that offers the best balance of money/placement/intangibles.

It's a bittersweet realization (more sweet if I get the money I hope for). Although, reading these forums become a lot less useful once you realize T-14 isn't in your future.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:49 pm

I would say for the most part this is definitely true. If you don't get into T14 (maybe even T10) you should probably definitely go regional. Go where you want to practice law. The difference between #25 and #35 is practically nothing. After the elite schools, choose where you WANT to practice.. not what rank it has.

Great Satchmo wrote:I have a friend at McGeorge that is 3L right now.

At first I thought the school was terrible, but as I learn more about things, it's certainly not a bad choice depending on what you want. If you want to work in the government, a regional school in Sacramento probably isn't a bad place. If you have the scores, I'm sure they'll offer out some money. If you want to work in Sac, and again have the good numbers, why not? Where else you gonna go?

I'm realizing this more and more (what you said): If you aren't going top-14, you are going regional. If you are going regional, F- the US news rankings (for the most part), look at regional placement/reputation, and go where you want to work, and the school that offers the best balance of money/placement/intangibles.

It's a bittersweet realization (more sweet if I get the money I hope for). Although, reading these forums become a lot less useful once you realize T-14 isn't in your future.

sperry

Postby sperry » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:19 am

sckon wrote:I saw this waiver and my reply was:

"you wish"

I get the feeling Michigan is going to say the same thing to you.

Going to a school like this, or really just about any school, with a substantial scholarship is actually a pretty good idea. Students in the 30-50 range got crushed this year, and I'd bet you anything most of them paying full sticker to go wish they had taken the $$$ at McGeorge, or wherever.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:45 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I would say for the most part this is definitely true. If you don't get into T14 (maybe even T10) you should probably definitely go regional. Go where you want to practice law. The difference between #25 and #35 is practically nothing. After the elite schools, choose where you WANT to practice.. not what rank it has.

Great Satchmo wrote:I have a friend at McGeorge that is 3L right now.

For Sacramento, I'd rather go to Davis than McGeorge. Davis travels better within California, it's a better location to live in, and my sense is that it outranks McGeorge at the biggest Sac firms (or that they'll go deeper into the class). Probably also rather go to Hastings for Sacramento, since it seems to place there and probably has the same or greater statewide mobility as Davis.

But a load of money might make McGeorge more palatable, especially since Sac is very low-paying for California.

itforthat

Postby itforthat » Sun May 09, 2010 2:21 am

My God! Do prospects sound bleak or what after reading these posts! I'm getting ulcers at the thought of going to Mcgeorge.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Sun May 09, 2010 12:39 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
sckon wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I think Scott Boras went to this school. It may not be as bad as you think.

Man sold his sole to the devil

--ImageRemoved--

Poor fish. Satan's dinner.

This deserves love.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Sun May 09, 2010 2:09 pm

kalvano wrote:Hmm, this seems to have upset you.

And I doubt it's that easy...they have to plug individual numbers into the specific emails. It seems like a waste of time to me, much like your oddly defensive arguments.

It is very easy to do that using mail merge or proprietary software. It can be totally automated.

Et Tu Brute352

Postby Et Tu Brute352 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:25 pm

I think that to anyone who applied there, this tread is pretty discouraging. There were some pretty mean (funny...but still mean) things that no one wants to be said about there school (yes it's different when Harvard alums crack at Yale but that's different). That being said, If Adam Barret (the Assistant Dean of enrollment for McGeorge) send me one more email about applying here, I might lose my tact and be joining you all. This guy seriously does not get the hint. It's may 9th.. if I haven't applied by now then what do you think is going to happen. :evil:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”