Why You Should Go To Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Re: Why You Should Go To Law School

Postby MTal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 am

MTal wrote:
GATORTIM wrote: It appears that we have different short-term plans for our legal education and there is nothing wrong with that.

What exactly are your "short term plans"? There are only 2-3 good options (extremely difficult to get, ITE) coming out of law school: Biglaw or Prosecution as ADA. What's left is shitlaw PD, ID, PI. Of course you could always go solo....good luck with THAT.

Edit: Also forget about going in house or being a GC of any kind. All those guys have 10 + years of top notch experience.

Are you ever going to respond to this? WHAT is your "plan" exactly? Make no mistake, these represent pretty much your ONLY choices when you come out of law school. If you think there are some other kinds of fantastic employment options for a freshly minted J.D., then you are about to drop 100k on an "education" with eyes wide shut.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:36 am

MTal wrote:
MTal wrote:
GATORTIM wrote: It appears that we have different short-term plans for our legal education and there is nothing wrong with that.

What exactly are your "short term plans"? There are only 2-3 good options (extremely difficult to get, ITE) coming out of law school: Biglaw or Prosecution as ADA. What's left is shitlaw PD, ID, PI. Of course you could always go solo....good luck with THAT.

Edit: Also forget about going in house or being a GC of any kind. All those guys have 10 + years of top notch experience.

Are you ever going to respond to this? WHAT is your "plan" exactly? Make no mistake, these represent pretty much your ONLY choices when you come out of law school. If you think there are some other kinds of fantastic employment options for a freshly minted J.D., then you are about to drop 100k on an "education" with eyes wide shut.

There are many more options than that.

DannyJames

Postby DannyJames » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:40 am

MTal wrote:
MTal wrote:

again, Mtal the almighty shows up with his crystal ball to tell everyone what they can and cannot do with the JD he doesn't have

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:40 am

Borhas wrote:Robot is a subset of douchebag

When I use the term robots I am referring to the intellectually bankrupt, morally worthless fools who use are very skilled at robotic tasks like LSAT.

What's robotic about the LSAT? You have to read for comprehension, think analytically about arguments, and analyze logic games creatively.

You sound like you resent people who did better on a test than you.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:44 am

I would like to establish something.

As a 1L, I really don't have much of a clue beyond my own assumptions about career opportunities. I have no idea how someone who has completed something like 6 months more of law school than I have could know so much about the market. Well...to be honest, I don't even know how anyone short of someone in the market (reasonable man?) could have much authority talking about the legal job market. There's just too much knowledge out there for any of us to speculate very far. .02

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Last edited by adamlippes on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DannyJames

Postby DannyJames » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 pm

adamlippes wrote:
Well...to be honest, I don't even know how anyone short of someone in the market (reasonable man?) could have much authority talking about the legal job market. There's just too much knowledge out there for any of us to speculate very far. .02

That's because you're busy studying for your silly little exams.

2Ls at my school who struck out from EIW and OCI are still wondering what options they have. Midlaw doesn't really exist. Shitlaw isn't hiring all that well. There's public interest and government positions, though.

Since my school has great LRAP, they're going to be fine from a financial perspective, though I pity the majority who really wanted Biglaw from the get-go (and who worked their asses off for it; some of them did very well during 1L), and are now effectively shut out from it forever.

And this is a T6 school we're talking about.

Let's now talk about some dude who wants to go to a T2 law school (not HY; I mean tier 2). Biglaw is effectively out by default. Again, midlaw doesn't exist. Shitlaw is being taken by the T14s or top students in the T1. PI and Government are good options, but without good LRAP, the student is looking at a dismal financial future.

What other options are there of which danny and GATORTIM speak? In-house? That ain't happening unless you have a few years as a biglaw associate under your belt. Insurance defense? Is that something you really wanted to do passionately, such that you decided to go to law school? Personal Injury? Really!?!? I mean, if that's your life's ambition, then all is well and good. But I have a hard time believing that one's life ambition is in ID or PI.

So yes, I do happen to know more than you about the job market. You will know significantly more in the next 6 or so months as well, as you begin to research what your realistic options are with your credentials.

how do i get thrown in as suggesting anything other than you don't know a thing about me or my future? worry about yourself, I will do the same.

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Last edited by adamlippes on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DannyJames

Postby DannyJames » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:54 pm

adamlippes wrote:
how do i get thrown in as suggesting anything other than you don't know a thing about me or my future? worry about yourself, I will do the same.

Wait. If I worry about myself, you will worry about me too? Awww, that's so sweet.

And yes, I do know a thing about your future:

156/3.0 -> Not going into BigLaw -> Not going into MidLaw -> Probably not going into ShitLaw -> Probably PI or Govt -> Maybe will get a nice scholarship, but won't be able to maintain it -> making 60k a year (probably less; that's generous), and 120,000 in loans to pay off.

haha, ill be retaking in December so that score won't be there anymore. and I am quite sure that my 3.0 in Marketing nearly 5 years ago will have no bearing on the type of lawyer i become. you know numbers, you don't know me. try again

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Last edited by adamlippes on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:58 pm

adamlippes wrote:

Wait. If I worry about myself, you will worry about me too? Awww, that's so sweet.

156/3.0 -> Not going into BigLaw -> Not going into MidLaw -> Probably not going into ShitLaw -> Probably PI or Govt -> Maybe will get a nice scholarship, but won't be able to maintain it -> making 60k a year (probably less; that's generous), and 120,000 in loans to pay off.

Local and State governments are also on a hiring freeze throuoghout the country. California is in a huge financial crisis, do you think they have a lot of cash to blow on a priority like PD's?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:00 pm

adam is being a bit of a jerk, but he's got a point. Your GPA will affect what kind of lawyer you'll be, because that will help determine what school you get into. That will in turn determine what job you get out of law school. That determines your future gigs.

I'm not as gloom and doom as some people on here, but you should recognize that those two numbers have a huge affect on your future. Retake the LSAT and crush it. In fact, I would be studying for it right now if I were you.

DannyJames

Postby DannyJames » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:01 pm

adamlippes wrote:
haha, ill be retaking in December so that score won't be there anymore. and I am quite sure that my 3.0 in Marketing nearly 5 years ago will have no bearing on the type of lawyer i become. you know numbers, you don't know me. try again

The 3.0 provides an upper-limit on the sorts of law schools you can get into. That, in turn, limits the legal employment opportunities you will have, and therefore will have a bearing on the type of lawyer you become.

Who cares if it's from 5 years ago? Law schools don't, You're still a bloody idiot in their eyes.

you and Mtal must share the same crystal ball. enjoy that thought while you get passed up by the lesser people that will outwork you in the end, myself included. and calling me a bloody idiot, wow...what will i do now?

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Last edited by adamlippes on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeastCoastHype

Postby BeastCoastHype » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Yet again the losers of TLS prove their unparalleled ability to turn anything remotely positive into a horrendously negative dick measuring contest.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:02 pm

adamlippes wrote:

How do you know what his loans will be? Maybe his parents are paying for school. Maybe he has money saved. Not everyone is in the same financial position going into law school (FWIW, I calculated my own debt options based on the the schools I'm applying to and the money that I have available to me assuming sticker and no financial aid, and for most schools I come out to $30-60K TOTAL, which is far from a "doomed" scenario). But I'm applying to mostly state schools and cheaper schools (and even with those, I only calculated one year at in-state tuition minus my home state). This doesn't take into account COL, but I don't have to pay for that anyway.

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:03 pm

Last edited by adamlippes on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Last edited by adamlippes on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 pm

BeastCoastHype wrote:Yet again the losers of TLS prove their unparalleled ability to turn anything remotely positive into a horrendously negative dick measuring contest.

Do you have anything substantive to contribute, apart from "Youz'e iz all lOoZers, Law SkoOLz iz DA BEZT!!!"

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:14 pm

MTal wrote:
MTal wrote:

Sorry MTal…I was busy living my life and didn’t have time to respond. I guess I need to adjust my short-term plans because I have just been told by an undergrad that I only have two options aside from BigLaw. I plan to work for the DA’s office, is this sufficient?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:16 pm

adamlippes wrote:

The 3.0 provides an upper-limit on the sorts of law schools you can get into. That, in turn, limits the legal employment opportunities you will have, and therefore will have a bearing on the type of lawyer you become.

Who cares if it's from 5 years ago? Law schools don't, You're still a bloody idiot in their eyes.

Being a dik will certainly place a glass-ceiling over your entire life, regardless of your gpa.....good luck

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:17 pm

I plan to work for the DA’s office, is this sufficient?

Probably not going to happen. lol.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:18 pm

As has already been well documented in numerous studies...nice guys do, in fact, finish last.

sckon

Postby sckon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:20 pm

MTal wrote:As has already been well documented in numerous studies...nice guys do, in fact, finish last.

stfu

/joking of course

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:21 pm

MTal wrote:
Jones, Dow wrote:just remember that if you can't make it in law school, there's always a career in "finance" waiting for you. if you need advice, talk to MTal. he's our resident insurance salesman.

I work at a big brokerage house, not at an insurance company. And sales is only a part of what I do (bout 30 %).

same shit, different toilet

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”