Why You Should Go To Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
keg411

Platinum

Re: Why You Should Go To Law School

Post by keg411 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:51 pm

I hate the Gators :P .

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 pm

keg411 wrote:I hate the Gators :P .
If I wasn't a Gator, I'd probably hate them too. :D

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:16 pm

keg411 wrote:I hate the Gators :P .
WHY :roll:

--ImageRemoved--

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:23 pm

I don't hate the gators, i hate tim tebow

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:48 pm

I don't even understand why people are so afraid of law school debt and not being able to find a job after graduation. I want to go to law school because it seems like a very interesting and intellectually stimulating career regardless of the pay, even if I'm unable to go to a T14 school I would not hesitate in taking out 160K in loans.
I'm not saying it will be easy to make a career as a lawyer but if I end up failing, who cares?
Life is not going to end, there are plenty of options to pay off the debt without ending up at the local McDonald's. Heck, I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned the possibility of joining the military, border patrol, sheriff's department, or other such fields. I honestly can't imagine how one ends up in a hole like the people of JDU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PhillyFan09

New

Post by PhillyFan09 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:52 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:I don't even understand why people are so afraid of law school debt and not being able to find a job after graduation. I want to go to law school because it seems like a very interesting and intellectually stimulating career regardless of the pay, even if I'm unable to go to a T14 school I would not hesitate in taking out 160K in loans.
I'm not saying it will be easy to make a career as a lawyer but if I end up failing, who cares?
Life is not going to end, there are plenty of options to pay off the debt without ending up at the local McDonald's. Heck, I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned the possibility of joining the military, border patrol, sheriff's department, or other such fields. I honestly can't imagine how one ends up in a hole like the people of JDU.
It's a self-selecting bunch of under achievers looking for someone to blame for their life FAIL.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:55 pm

PhillyFan09 wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:I don't even understand why people are so afraid of law school debt and not being able to find a job after graduation. I want to go to law school because it seems like a very interesting and intellectually stimulating career regardless of the pay, even if I'm unable to go to a T14 school I would not hesitate in taking out 160K in loans.
It's a self-selecting bunch of under achievers looking for someone to blame for their life FAIL.
This

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:56 pm

PhillyFan09 wrote:
Even if you're an under achiever, there's no reason to lead such pathetic lives. I have a friend in the USMC and that guy is the laziest person I know, he's gone on two tours, one in Iraq and the other in Afghanistan, and he's making pretty good money. When he comes back he doesn't do shit, he just cashes his unemployment check, gambles, and gets laid. Heck, I feel like it's much easier to make a living being an underachiever than not.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:05 pm

adamlippes wrote: In fact, I'm about half-way through law school. I do have a BigLaw job lined up,
So you’re a first semester 2L and you already have a biglaw job lined up for after graduation? Or did you mean to say you have a summer associate position lined up?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:20 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
Even if you're an under achiever, there's no reason to lead such pathetic lives. I have a friend in the USMC and that guy is the laziest person I know, he's gone on two tours, one in Iraq and the other in Afghanistan, and he's making pretty good money. When he comes back he doesn't do shit, he just cashes his unemployment check, gambles, and gets laid. Heck, I feel like it's much easier to make a living being an underachiever than not.
How does he make good money in USMC? And how does he get unemployment checks when he's not on tour? He would still be on AD right? I'm confused. The military pay is for shit. If he were a contractor working for XE (blackwater) or something I could understand this lifestyle - they make a lot of money for putting their lives at risk to spread American imperialism... and they're usually ex-military. but people in the military don't make much money, and they don't get to cash unemployment checks when they're not in Iraq or Afghanistan.

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:28 pm

j2d3 wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
How does he make good money in USMC? And how does he get unemployment checks when he's not on tour? He would still be on AD right? I'm confused. The military pay is for shit. If he were a contractor working for XE (blackwater) or something I could understand this lifestyle - they make a lot of money for putting their lives at risk to spread American imperialism... and they're usually ex-military. but people in the military don't make much money, and they don't get to cash unemployment checks when they're not in Iraq or Afghanistan.
I don't know the details of it, but I can assure you he does get unemployment. Just to clarify, when I said "good money" was comparing it to all the shit jobs that people that go to a TTTx end up taking. He's not making 100K a year, I'm pretty sure he doesn't even make 50K, but he manages to be a lazy bum, have a brand new car and not do shit between tours. I'm sure that he's better off economically than most unemployed lawyers.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:47 pm

SomethingCorprt wrote:No matter what law school you attend it must be expected that there is hard work involved. As students we must have motivation, determination, and most of all the ability to challenge/question what's put in front of us. After graduating with my BA I didn't know what I wanted to do. No one said I had to figure it out at 22 years old, although that's how I felt. So the last year or so I've explored many options and I don't regret taking this time off to find the path I've chosen.

I am not "legally blonde", an "intellectual twit", or a "robot" as some of you have labeled people like myself. I can only hope I don't go to a school with people who are as condescending, and elitist as some of the responses on this board have been. I've always detested the upper echelon and for that exact reason I do not want to attend a top school. I prefer a school with a lower ranking because it'll be the commoners like myself who can't afford a high priced education without the nonsense of people like you. I don't need a big name law school to make me stand out, the effort I will put into law school will be worth more to me than the haughtiness you've contended with.

As a final note please do not think of a lower ranked school or people who've developed into themselves later then you have, to not have the ability to think freely. Whoever mentioned that just really threw the wrench into the gears.
Robot is a subset of douchebag

When I use the term robots I am referring to the intellectually bankrupt, morally worthless fools who use are very skilled at robotic tasks like LSAT. These robots are very good at seeming like they are intelligent folks and decent citizens from the outside, but they only want to seem that way. Robots are perfectly fine being prestige whores and feeling superior to other people while having unfulfilled lives.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Borhas wrote:
SomethingCorprt wrote:No matter what law school you attend it must be expected that there is hard work involved. As students we must have motivation, determination, and most of all the ability to challenge/question what's put in front of us. After graduating with my BA I didn't know what I wanted to do. No one said I had to figure it out at 22 years old, although that's how I felt. So the last year or so I've explored many options and I don't regret taking this time off to find the path I've chosen.

I am not "legally blonde", an "intellectual twit", or a "robot" as some of you have labeled people like myself. I can only hope I don't go to a school with people who are as condescending, and elitist as some of the responses on this board have been. I've always detested the upper echelon and for that exact reason I do not want to attend a top school. I prefer a school with a lower ranking because it'll be the commoners like myself who can't afford a high priced education without the nonsense of people like you. I don't need a big name law school to make me stand out, the effort I will put into law school will be worth more to me than the haughtiness you've contended with.

As a final note please do not think of a lower ranked school or people who've developed into themselves later then you have, to not have the ability to think freely. Whoever mentioned that just really threw the wrench into the gears.
Robot is a subset of douchebag

When I use the term robots I am referring to the intellectually bankrupt, morally worthless fools who use are very skilled at robotic tasks like LSAT. These robots are very good at seeming like they are intelligent folks and decent citizens from the outside, but they only want to seem that way. Robots are perfectly fine being prestige whores and feeling superior to other people while having unfulfilled lives.
wow, that sounds cool!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:19 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
UFMatt wrote: As a fellow Gator (and '03 graduate), I'd have to suggest ignoring the trolls. I've known plenty of people doing very well (big law, successful small firms, etc.) with JDs from Florida schools. I suspect you'll network better than they will if their posts are any indication of their personalities. You will do just fine. Good luck with the December LSAT.
THX.....Best of luck to you too! GO GATORS!
you spelled it wrong

it's 'GO GATA'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgbBP9Em00A

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:19 pm

honestly, the debt-averse crazies are everywhere in this economy, not just trying to convince people not to go to law school. If it were up to them, nobody would ever take on any debt and the US would throw our currency back to the gold standard, and the Federal Reserve would be abolished. All these brilliant economic moves would ensure that no capital would be available for businesses when they need it.

I am someone who is very careful with his money, and certainly intends to make a significant profit on the law school investment, but god these anti-debt arguments are tired to me.

bumblebeetoona

New

Post by bumblebeetoona » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

:roll:

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:08 am

bumblebeetoona wrote::roll:
:roll: what?

got something on your mind?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

This quote from ToTransferOrNot from the Legal Employment Forum seems apt to the discussion in this thread:
The 2L summer job search is considered, by many, to be a defining moment of a person's legal career. Few UG people (though certainly some) are in that position. The emphasis that people put on 2L OCI is not without merit, because moving vertically after you're practicing is extremely difficult. The ability to knock out the $150k+ of law school debt in 3-4 years as compared to 20-30 has a defining impact on peoples' lives, not to mention the doors that the biglaw pedigree opens--either through partnership, or with firms/agencies that largely only hire biglaw "grads."

2L OCI this year dashed a lot of expectations that people had coming in to law school. The Class of 2012 was put on notice everywhere but HYS, the Class of 2011 was on notice about the risks associated with schools lower on the totem poll. However, the folks in the Class of 2011 who took out massive loans on the expectation that a majority of their class was going to get some kind of employment in biglaw post-graduation--an expectation that really wasn't outlandish for people in and around the T14--have been hit very hard. It is likely to have a permanent impact on their lives; contrary to the feel-good crap that Career Services Offices are putting out, the people who missed the Biglaw boat because of the economy could very well have missed it permanently.

$180k is hell of a debt to pay off without a very high salary--hell, isn't the standard recommendation "don't take out more debt than you'll make in the first year"? I'm not surprised at all that the topic is taboo under these circumstances.

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:25 am

just remember that if you can't make it in law school, there's always a career in "finance" waiting for you. if you need advice, talk to MTal. he's our resident insurance salesman.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 am

Jones, Dow wrote:just remember that if you can't make it in law school, there's always a career in "finance" waiting for you. if you need advice, talk to MTal. he's our resident insurance salesman.
I work at a big brokerage house, not at an insurance company. And sales is only a part of what I do (bout 30 %).

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:34 am

“Know from whence you came. If you know whence you came, there are absolutely no limitations to where you can go.”

Apparently there are limitations and we can only go back to debating MTal's creds.

Can we just either (a) discuss more about why law school is awesome or (b) go find some slutty Halloween costume pics to post in te other thread?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 am

prezidentv8 wrote:“Know from whence you came. If you know whence you came, there are absolutely no limitations to where you can go.”

Apparently there are limitations and we can only go back to debating MTal's creds.

Can we just either (a) discuss more about why law school is awesome or (b) go find some slutty Halloween costume pics to post in te other thread?
(a) is out of the question because it invariably leads to "The Guardian and Protector of all Potential <T14 Applicants" busting in. which leads to a discussion of his credentials. which is kinda like saying that knowing where we've been is limiting where we can go. FOLs.

and btw, tal, your posting frequency leads me to believe that your job isn't as baller as you want us to think it is.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:56 am

Jones, Dow wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:“Know from whence you came. If you know whence you came, there are absolutely no limitations to where you can go.”

(a) is out of the question because it invariably leads to "The Guardian and Protector of all Potential <T14 Applicants" busting in. which leads to a discussion of his credentials. which is kinda like saying that knowing where we've been is limiting where we can go. FOLs.

and btw, tal, your posting frequency leads me to believe that your job isn't as baller as you want us to think it is.
Choice (b) ftw then.

adamlippes

New

Post by adamlippes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:20 am

Last edited by adamlippes on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:30 am

adamlippes wrote:Far be it for me to interrupt the big gator circle-jerk. It appears that the only people who convince the idiots in this thread are... idiots!
^^elitist douche

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”