"Oh ****, there's a typo on my application" Commiseration Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SpaceDawg

Bronze

Re: "Oh ****, there's a typo on my application" Commiseration

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:53 am

How did the snail guy get waitlisted at all of those schools with a 177/ 3.8? Or has this been covered?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:40 am

Well it says he went to an online school. Other than that--maybe it was a 146, 152, 177? Or maybe he wrote his PS about giant squid.

philly5

New

Post by philly5 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:51 am

For my undergrad apps, I wrote an essay about my "high school friends" and accidentally did a find-and-delete for the word 'school'. So I inadvertently turned in an essay all about my "high friends".

still got in.

ferris1127

New

Post by ferris1127 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:47 pm

Ok I need some advice for this one. I had "5-10 hours per week" for two different activities on the primary app for my top school. Then for the third activity it was supposed to say "3 hours per week," but looking back at the printed out pdf that i submitted over a week ago I realized it said "5-10 hours a week" for ALL THREE. So its kinda sketchy seeming that I put the same number of hours for three activities, AND I feel bad because lets be real I didn't do that activity 5-10 hours a week.

Should I call, send an email, or let it go?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:53 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:How did the snail guy get waitlisted at all of those schools with a 177/ 3.8? Or has this been covered?
I can answer that through personal experience in a couple of months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:59 pm

FWIW on my resume to one school I listed two of the jobs twice each, and still got a full ride.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:26 pm

I just found this thread with the search function. I was reading over old PSs today and discovered that on one app I wrote "University of ****" instead of "**** University." I only applied because of a fee waiver and wasn't really excited about going there, but it's still extremely embarrassing.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:33 am

On one of the applications were I was listing my student organizations, I spelled the name of one of the honors organization with "Delat xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx" instead of "Delta xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

GRRRRRR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jamielynn1981

New

Post by jamielynn1981 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:27 am

I forgot to accept one of the editing changes in Microsoft Word....so now there's this line that extends across the entire document to the right margin with the last edit I made...Ugh! And of course it's on one of my addendums so it's going to all the schools I applied to!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 am

wired wrote:Reviewed my UCLA app and found that one of the paragraph sections I had replaced all of the apostrophes with &asd or something similar to that. I thought it was my fault when I saw it so I sent a letter to UCLA amending it. Then, I found it happens to a lot of applications.

Annoyed and sad.
yeah this happened with my UCLA app too and they still took me, so its all good

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

I spelled rigorous as "rigourous" and didn't catch it until after I sent it to the 6th school I applied to. I don't have spell-checker on my Microsoft Word (it's a bootleg, and for some reason, the spell checking function won't work) so it's double the energy to edit. The spell checkers online just suck. I must have looked over my PS a thousand times. Oh well, not a whole lot I can do now. I'm not too worried about it. Sh*t happens, and I've worked 80 hours this week. I can barely see straight.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:35 pm

as stars burn wrote:I spelled rigorous as "rigourous" and didn't catch it until after I sent it to the 6th school I applied to. I don't have spell-checker on my Microsoft Word (it's a bootleg, and for some reason, the spell checking function won't work) so it's double the energy to edit. The spell checkers online just suck. I must have looked over my PS a thousand times. Oh well, not a whole lot I can do now. I'm not too worried about it. Sh*t happens, and I've worked 80 hours this week. I can barely see straight.
I guess it's too late now, but I'm using a bootleg and had the same problem. Turned out the default language was set to Russian. Just change the language settings and you're good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:45 pm

thorntll wrote:I never, ever look at my applications once they've been sent. If there are typos, I can't do shit about it, so I don't want to know.
I did and found out a big mistake (Sent a Why U of F to Wake Forest Albama and FSU). I immediately called the schools and fixed the problem. (got in to the three.) So I advice to be carefull and go through tme again.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:49 pm

as stars burn wrote:I spelled rigorous as "rigourous" and didn't catch it until after I sent it to the 6th school I applied to. I don't have spell-checker on my Microsoft Word (it's a bootleg, and for some reason, the spell checking function won't work) so it's double the energy to edit. The spell checkers online just suck. I must have looked over my PS a thousand times. Oh well, not a whole lot I can do now. I'm not too worried about it. Sh*t happens, and I've worked 80 hours this week. I can barely see straight.
Weird situation and I doubt anyone will care because the base of rigorous can be spelled correctly as rigour. "Rigourous" is still incorrect, but doubtful anyone would notice.

latinolaw

New

Post by latinolaw » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:03 pm

No typos, but I accidentally designated a LOR to several school that was directed specifically to Cornell. I wrote a letter to all those schools who got the LOR asking them to disregard/omit the LOR.

Could this result in rejection?

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Weird situation and I doubt anyone will care because the base of rigorous can be spelled correctly as rigour. "Rigourous" is still incorrect, but doubtful anyone would notice.
Haha, that's good to know. I sent an updated PS with it corrected to two schools out of the six that I really cared about. I'm not too worried about it though...as far as I know, that was the only spelling/grammatical mistake. Most schools are happy to take an updated PS so that's always good.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

badm_ridin_dirty

New

Post by badm_ridin_dirty » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:21 am

Doesn't seem to be too big of a deal if you just let it go...

I had emailed a couple of schools (reaches) a new PS, but the schools I'm not incredibly interested in attending think that I want to be "an advocate for sexual assault and domestic violence" rather than an advocate for the victims of.

It all worked out ok.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:30 am

As long as someone resurrected this thread for some reason . . . I might as well add that I got into Berkeley despite the typo 8)

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:51 am

I just realized my Why Mich essay has an extra word in a sentence that I meant to change but apparently did not actually delete. I think its pretty obvious what I did, and hopefully it won't hurt much. Sucks though, as they are my ultimate reach.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 pm

I went back and saw that on my reach, I didn't fill out the section about to which "groups" I feel I belong. The question is just blank.

I'm a minority, so I should have. I don't want them to think I don't want the boost because I'll take anything I can get.

It's in my diversity statement. Do you think it's a real problem?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Just found a typo in the personal statement that I sent to 11 different schools. Forgot the word "was" ("I near the top..." instead of "I was near the top..."), but I feel like it's pretty obvious what I meant. I just read through my PS, DS, resumé, and addendum and it is literally the only typo I found, so I'm hoping it doesn't hurt me. I legitimately read my PS at least 15 times, I don't know how that slipped through the cracks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”