Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
duodora

Re: Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

Postby duodora » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm

GeePee wrote:A Why Duke? addendum would solve that anyway along with a LOCI. Express your interest in their environmental program and run with it. YP is never a problem if you make a good enough case for yourself.

Was definitely planning on sending a "Why Duke" essay in expressing interest in the environmental program!

A LOCI is just if you get waitlisted though--right?

And thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :)

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:20 pm

duodora wrote:
GeePee wrote:A Why Duke? addendum would solve that anyway along with a LOCI. Express your interest in their environmental program and run with it. YP is never a problem if you make a good enough case for yourself.

Was definitely planning on sending a "Why Duke" essay in expressing interest in the environmental program!

A LOCI is just if you get waitlisted though--right?

And thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :)

Yeah, you have the right idea. Good luck with your cycle.

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:27 pm

The only reason I registered for CRS was in the hopes of getting a Duke PT (I already have the mother of all fee waivers that LSAC provides). I just got an e-mail for a Duke waiver but it didn't mention anything about PT. That means I'm out for PT, right?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:29 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:The only reason I registered for CRS was in the hopes of getting a Duke PT (I already have the mother of all fee waivers that LSAC provides). I just got an e-mail for a Duke waiver but it didn't mention anything about PT. That means I'm out for PT, right?

Yeah, I didn't get one, either. I don't think Duke generally gives out PT apps to GPA>3.5, LSAT>174 applicants (with good reason, these people are generally going to T6 or MVP with $$). I think they'd rather budget their time to take highly interested applicants early on.

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:31 pm

GeePee wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:The only reason I registered for CRS was in the hopes of getting a Duke PT (I already have the mother of all fee waivers that LSAC provides). I just got an e-mail for a Duke waiver but it didn't mention anything about PT. That means I'm out for PT, right?

Yeah, I didn't get one, either. I don't think Duke generally gives out PT apps to GPA>3.5, LSAT>174 applicants (with good reason, these people are generally going to T6 or MVP with $$). I think they'd rather budget their time to take highly interested applicants early on.

Thanks for letting me know.
Last edited by PoorOrpheus on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hypermeganet

Postby hypermeganet » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:36 pm

I got the fee waiver, no PT though. Although I'm certain to be nearly an auto-ding there. I guess they are working the numbers game.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Well duke. Well. I see how it is. Fine, don't send me a PT invite. See if I care. Your loss, really.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:47 pm

GeePee wrote:

i have 175+ from june and didn't get a PT invitation, fwiw (even though i really would have liked the chance for such an early T14 acceptance)

there was an earlier thread about duke PT, back when they first started sending them out which was i think around early september. there was a good amount of anecdotal evidence in that thread to suggest that there's some sort of YP element going on. based on what i recall from that thread, people with above a 173 or so were still getting fee waivers, but no PT - although some people who didn't get it initially had success requesting it.

edit: i would have requested the PT myself, but i had already submitted my application before i became aware it was an option to do so

Legalite

Postby Legalite » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Last edited by Legalite on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Well it's past 5pm EST, and I still haven't heard back from Duke :evil: . I see how it is.

thechee

Postby thechee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Ok, I got a PT fee waiver from Duke, and a fee waiver from Virginia today. The thing is, my gpa is less than 3.7, and my June LSAT is 164. I took the September test, but haven't gotten my score back because my account is on hold due to a fee waiver appeal...is it possible that Duke and UVA somehow have my score and I don't??

knola002

Postby knola002 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Got the fee waiver, no offer of PT though.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Duke, I don't even care about PT really... I just want a fee waiver.

I kind of want to take a trip down to Durham and smack Dean Hoye in the face. What are you doing to me man?!?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:00 pm

thechee wrote:Ok, I got a PT fee waiver from Duke, and a fee waiver from Virginia today. The thing is, my gpa is less than 3.7, and my June LSAT is 164. I took the September test, but haven't gotten my score back because my account is on hold due to a fee waiver appeal...is it possible that Duke and UVA somehow have my score and I don't??

Probable. The Duke PT probably means you scored between 169-173, to narrow it down. Hope that makes you happy!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm

GeePee wrote:Duke, I don't even care about PT really... I just want a fee waiver.

I kind of want to take a trip down to Durham and smack Dean Hoye in the face. What are you doing to me man?!?

Yea I am pretty sure LSAC released scores to schools in advance. Hence why I have no fee waivers or anything, because I didn't register for CRS until Saturday. I thought it would be fine to wait until then and thought my grades and everyone elses would be sent out same time. Worse things have happened..

I don't plan on applying until the end of next week now anyhow...

thechee

Postby thechee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm

GeePee wrote:
thechee wrote:Ok, I got a PT fee waiver from Duke, and a fee waiver from Virginia today. The thing is, my gpa is less than 3.7, and my June LSAT is 164. I took the September test, but haven't gotten my score back because my account is on hold due to a fee waiver appeal...is it possible that Duke and UVA somehow have my score and I don't??

Probable. The Duke PT probably means you scored between 169-173, to narrow it down. Hope that makes you happy!

That would be sweet. June was such a disaster! -0LG, -4RC, and -15LR!!!

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 pm

GeePee wrote:Duke, I don't even care about PT really... I just want a fee waiver.

I didn't get a Duke FW the first time around when they sent out PT with Fee Waivers. In fact, I didn't get it until the beginning of fall (after June '09), only a week before I was about to send out my apps.

js87

Postby js87 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:35 pm

I took the LSAT in June 08, over a full year ago, and retook it this September. I applied to Duke this weekend (I'm wasting no time in getting my applications in) and was surprised to find a fee waiver when checking out. Sure enough, today I got the email inviting me to apply priority tack with a fee waiver! Very awesome.

I know Duke is very generous with merit scholarships, but do they automatically award them with admission, or do you apply for them only after admission?

Thanks.

duodora

Postby duodora » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Might still be coming...I just got one literally a minute or two ago. No PT just a waiver...

forza

Postby forza » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm

No PT but I got the waiver. Stats for folks offered PT?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:02 pm

forza wrote:No PT but I got the waiver. Stats for folks offered PT?

Look at the LSN data for 09-10 acceptances. The offers fall into a pretty neat little box.

forza

Postby forza » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm in the box. Haters.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Update: Well I got a really generic sounding fee waiver email from Duke. No mention of Priority Track, which is pretty disappointing.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm

forza wrote:I'm in the box. Haters.

Is NC on your list of states you would attend Law School? I'd edit that list to include all states with t14s, if I were you.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Yeah I received a PT fee waiver as well. U of Virginia also gave me a fee waiver, what does this mean?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”