Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goodolgil

Re: Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

Postby goodolgil » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 pm

I got one for 3.85/169.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:That doesn't seem right...people with better stats aren't getting invites, and yet becuase I did I can almost certainly expect an admit?

The letter said something about my "stellar academic record". What else could be driving the invite? I got a double major from a top-tier UG, but I don't see that factoring. Maybe they think I'm more likely because I'm from the south. :)

I think at some point Duke YP's their PT offers. If you solicit one with >174 you might get one, but LSN looks like most of the PT grants were in the 169-173 range.

oakroom

Postby oakroom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Kakarot wrote:Just wondering why I haven't gotten a single fee waiver.. From anyone..

Probably because you just signed up for CRS on Saturday. Give it time...

cpt yossarian

Postby cpt yossarian » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Does your transcript have to be processed in order to get Priority Track? My stats are 169/3.98 but LSAC just received my transcript today but I don't think it has been processed.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:17 pm

GeePee's explanation makes the most sense. Yield protection.

I probably got PT'd because my numbers are total Duke target range. They probably figure that GeePee, for example, is headed towards T6 (you go, girl)!

And to the poster who mentioned no fee waivers yet -- this is the only one I've received yet. I understand that a lot more should be showing up later in the week, esp for 17x scorers.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:29 pm

I've been getting some random fee waivers in my spam folder. Ones from Cooley (yeah, the joke writes itself) and South Carolina law. Those with Gmail should be on the lookout.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:36 pm

oakroom wrote:
Kakarot wrote:Just wondering why I haven't gotten a single fee waiver.. From anyone..

+1

I talked to someone about this at the Law School Forum in NYC a few weeks ago, and she said that once you register for CRS and have both a score and transcript on file, then you are eligible for a fee waiver. She says every 3-4 weeks there is someone who screens people in the CRS for fee waivers, and sends out a new set of fee waivers.

That being said, I did get a fee waiver from William and Mary and Temple without a transcript.

I am sure you will be fine, just give it some time.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:37 pm

goodolgil wrote:I've been getting some random fee waivers in my spam folder. Ones from Cooley (yeah, the joke writes itself) and South Carolina law. Those with Gmail should be on the lookout.

I can't even get one from Cooley.. Is there any more of an ultimate fail then that?

I am certain I'll be fine.. Just curious though. I thought it would be a computer program not a human giving them out...

bottomshelf

Postby bottomshelf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:39 pm

oakroom wrote:

I would second this.

I've been registered for CRS for a while, I have a Duke app active, stats probably within their range (3.65-ish / 171) and I got the PT invitation as well. Good to hear people say it's an auto-admit! :D

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:39 pm

goodolgil wrote:I've been getting some random fee waivers in my spam folder. Ones from Cooley (yeah, the joke writes itself) and South Carolina law. Those with Gmail should be on the lookout.

+1, be on the lookout in spam folder.

On a second note, is it possible to be invited for Priority Track or receive a Duke fee waiver with a 168? Where else should I expect to receive fee waivers from? Thanks.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:53 pm

astro1819 wrote:

On a second note, is it possible to be invited for Priority Track or receive a Duke fee waiver with a 168? Where else should I expect to receive fee waivers from? Thanks.

Well I got one with a 169, so unless that's the cutoff I'd assume it's possible.

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:55 pm

3.53/170

Just got the priority track invite this morning. My numbers seem pretty damn boarder line though. Take it and run I suppose?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Kakarot wrote:My scores are better than most 175 and 3.65 and I don't have a single fee waiver and I plan on applying to duke.. How do I go about getting these sent? Signed up for CRS on Saturday.

Eh, you probably registered a little too low on their douche-o-meter and were not seen as Duke material. I know that's what happened with me.

autao

Postby autao » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:03 pm

astro1819 wrote:

In August, I received a fee waiver from Duke but not priority track and I have the exact same stats as you. I received fee waivers from a whole lot of schools from Michigan on down.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Just got my Duke Priority track invite and fee waiver. I'm not sure if this makes any sort of difference but I did not request one at an earlier date like some people on here did. My score is below 170, keep your hopes up people!

EDIT: Congrats to all and good luck applying. I see some familiar posters from back when we were all studying for the LSAT on the LSAT prep board, best of luck to you guys!
Last edited by doinmybest on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Tue May 18, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:06 pm

autao wrote:In August, I received a fee waiver from Duke but not priority track and I have the exact same stats as you. I received fee waivers from a whole lot of schools from Michigan on down.

Thanks!

CoutureChiq

Postby CoutureChiq » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:12 pm

I have similar stats. Does anyone know if these stats with PT is still pretty much an acceptance? Or is it different?
CanadianEH wrote:3.53/170

Just got the priority track invite this morning. My numbers seem pretty damn boarder line though. Take it and run I suppose?

duodora

Postby duodora » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Last edited by duodora on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:20 pm

duodora wrote:Aight--I just noticed my GPA is indeed up, so that must not be the reason for not getting a fee waver.

I don't want to be douchey/flame but I think it might be because my stats are too high? In that case, is it possible to request a fee waver?

Also--this sounds silly but I don't want to go to a lot of the super top schools (I'm interested in environmental stuff, so H and Y are out)--is it possible that high stats would prevent admission/money to Duke for example?

Admission won't be a problem; there was no evidence of YP for people that applied last year. If you request PT you'll probably get that, too. I wouldn't worry too much.

duodora

Postby duodora » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Last edited by duodora on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:30 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:The letter said something about my "stellar academic record". What else could be driving the invite? I got a double major from a top-tier UG, but I don't see that factoring. Maybe they think I'm more likely because I'm from the south. :)

I go to UCSD, which doesn't seem stellar enough to warrant special attention. Maybe it has something to do with your class percentile at your UG? I think I'm top 5% or something.

And I haven't gotten any other fee waivers anywhere significant...I got a 161 in June so nobody wanted me until now lol. I just sent off my apps last night--$586--so uhh I guess maybe I'll be asking for some refunds, lol.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:31 pm

duodora wrote:
GeePee wrote:
duodora wrote:Aight--I just noticed my GPA is indeed up, so that must not be the reason for not getting a fee waver.

I don't want to be douchey/flame but I think it might be because my stats are too high? In that case, is it possible to request a fee waver?

Also--this sounds silly but I don't want to go to a lot of the super top schools (I'm interested in environmental stuff, so H and Y are out)--is it possible that high stats would prevent admission/money to Duke for example?

Admission won't be a problem; there was no evidence of YP for people that applied last year. If you request PT you'll probably get that, too. I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks so much!

It would be ridiculously ironic/depressing to get YP-ed (I don't think that's a word) out of the schools you'd rather go to!

A Why Duke? addendum would solve that anyway along with a LOCI. Express your interest in their environmental program and run with it. YP is never a problem if you make a good enough case for yourself.

zoey15

Postby zoey15 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Slansky wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:The letter said something about my "stellar academic record". What else could be driving the invite? I got a double major from a top-tier UG, but I don't see that factoring. Maybe they think I'm more likely because I'm from the south. :)

I go to UCSD, which doesn't seem stellar enough to warrant special attention. Maybe it has something to do with your class percentile at your UG? I think I'm top 5% or something.

And I haven't gotten any other fee waivers anywhere significant...I got a 161 in June so nobody wanted me until now lol. I just sent off my apps last night--$586--so uhh I guess maybe I'll be asking for some refunds, lol.

I don't think it is based on class rank as my school doesn't rank. Honestly, I think it must really be LSAT, because I just heard about that on Friday and my GPA/school info has been up for months.

Good luck to everyone

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:33 pm

Btw, I was wondering...does this PT thing affect financial aid at Duke? I'd expect I'd still have to wait until next year with a current FAFSA and all that to hear about scholarship offers, even if they will seriously tell me my admit status next week, lol. Anyone know?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”