Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thalassocrat

Bronze

Re: Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:18 pm

Slansky wrote:Well, I got a hold, with a nice personal message from Bill Hoye.

Makes me insecure about my other apps. :(
:( PT? Are the numbers on your profile accurate? Did you kill someone as a freshman and fail to disclose?

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:18 pm

The fact that you got a hold....makes me really worried, no where close to your gpa, slightly higher lsat...

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:47 pm

The hold was because I am graduating really early and they want to see my grades for this quarter before they decide. So, it might be a special circumstance. It still makes me sad. :(

Edit: Yes, my profile numbers are accurate, lol. This forum's insistence that numbers are everything and softs don't matter might be misguided in some cases, it seems. (And I have ok softs, just nothing outrageous.)

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:43 pm

*gulp* I am under review currently, and I would die if I got put on hold. How early are you graduating?

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Well I'm technically a third-year, and I'm graduating in December. So 1.5 years early. I entered as a junior thanks to advanced credits, so 2.5 years actually isn't that surprising when you look at it that way. But I guess the problem is that there aren't a lot of college grades for them to look at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Post by hoopsguy6 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Slansky wrote:Well I'm technically a third-year, and I'm graduating in December. So 1.5 years early. I entered as a junior thanks to advanced credits, so 2.5 years actually isn't that surprising when you look at it that way. But I guess the problem is that there aren't a lot of college grades for them to look at.
Are the schools in your profile your complete list? With your #s, it seems you can get into some much better schools than USD/Loyola/Pepp.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Slansky wrote:The hold was because I am graduating really early and they want to see my grades for this quarter before they decide. So, it might be a special circumstance. It still makes me sad. :(

Edit: Yes, my profile numbers are accurate, lol. This forum's insistence that numbers are everything and softs don't matter might be misguided in some cases, it seems. (And I have ok softs, just nothing outrageous.)
Oh, I can kind of understand that. I'm sure they'll let you in once they see that you haven't suddenly crashed and burned. Sucks that you have to wait, though.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:58 pm

Slansky wrote:Well I'm technically a third-year, and I'm graduating in December. So 1.5 years early. I entered as a junior thanks to advanced credits, so 2.5 years actually isn't that surprising when you look at it that way. But I guess the problem is that there aren't a lot of college grades for them to look at.

I did the same thing- AND we share the same major. Oh, how I love advanced placement credits...

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:01 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:
Are the schools in your profile your complete list? With your #s, it seems you can get into some much better schools than USD/Loyola/Pepp.
Yeah, I am most interested in staying in the SoCal region rather than going anywhere extraordinary (UCLA is my top choice but they don't really give out $ so I may have to look at the privates for scholarships). In fact, I probably don't really belong on this forum in that sense, lol. I applied to Duke because of the PT invite--wanted to see what they thought of my application straight away. So I'm depressed about their assessment of my app more than the fact that it's Duke in particular.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:34 pm

UCLA gives out a lot of money, actually.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:35 pm

So...status update has just gone to decision rendered...and has ratcheted up my anxiety factor. Any thoughts on whether I'll hear by email tonight? Or rather, when I should hear by? I'm neurotically checking my email...

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:51 pm

VoidSix wrote:UCLA gives out a lot of money, actually.
That would be awesome! I'm just going by my experience with public schools and $ predictors online. I would be happy to be wrong on this one.
hopefullaw27 wrote:So...status update has just gone to decision rendered...and has ratcheted up my anxiety factor. Any thoughts on whether I'll hear by email tonight? Or rather, when I should hear by? I'm neurotically checking my email...
I think you should hear within a couple hours.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:35 pm

sweet. Got acceptance last night around 9...such a weight off my back...good luck to every;one

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:05 pm

I am starting to be afraid the same thing might happen to me. How many GPA hours were on your transcript from your degree granting university? Just wondering around what level they are convinced with your current level of performance.

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
I am starting to be afraid the same thing might happen to me. How many GPA hours were on your transcript from your degree granting university? Just wondering around what level they are convinced with your current level of performance.
Well, the time has been short (7 quarters plus summers), but I jam lots of classes into every quarter, so my LSAC transcript should have...uh...104 UCSD credits going into the GPA plus a couple pass/no pass ones. I don't know if quarter credits are different than semester credits... but it's not like I am horribly deficient in classes or anything. I am overshooting the graduation requirement by about 40 credits, and I'm well within the residency requirements for the university and my major. And I have a minor! So blah. I understand that they want to see more grades, but it's kind of disconcerting that they're not convinced by the grades I already have...I got one B- my very first quarter and have had all As and A-s since then. It's not like I'm suddenly going to turn in all Cs this quarter. :(

In other news, I was randomly checking my status checkers last night and USD is suddenly Decision Rendered! So maybe I'll have some better news to celebrate this weekend than the infamous Duke hold.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 pm

So its ten days from when your app goes complete... I have no idea when I officially went complete since my status has said "under review" since the day after I sent my app. I think it says this the entire time for those who are in PT whether you are complete or not. I have good feeling I won't hear back in 10 days because of thanksgiving :(

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:24 pm

taxman021 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:That doesn't seem right...people with better stats aren't getting invites, and yet becuase I did I can almost certainly expect an admit?

The letter said something about my "stellar academic record". What else could be driving the invite? I got a double major from a top-tier UG, but I don't see that factoring. Maybe they think I'm more likely because I'm from the south. :)

i actually read somewhere that reputation of your college plays a factor in whether you get offered PT or not (assuming you did very well at that ug)

Hmm... I go to a peer school and I have 170+... should I ask them for PT? Haven't gotten anything from Duke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:27 pm

PT invites seem to go to people with high stats, but not TOO high... i.e. if you're over the 75th in both categories Duke doesn't seem to do the PT invite as often.

jsoell

New

Post by jsoell » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:00 pm

PT invites seem to go to people with high stats, but not TOO high... i.e. if you're over the 75th in both categories Duke doesn't seem to do the PT invite as often.
Interesting. I´m at 75% for LSAT and above for GPA, and I got it. Not contradicting, as I´m not ABOVE the 75 percentile for LSAT but rather exactly the same.

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:45 pm

does anyone know if the priority track is 10 business days or calendar days? I have been under review since the 8th and I am wondering if i should be hovering over my email this weekend.

biggiemike000

New

Post by biggiemike000 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:06 am

Zara it is ten business days. My file still says "under review". Does it change to "complete" before the ten day period begins or is it from the review date?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 am

Zara wrote:does anyone know if the priority track is 10 business days or calendar days? I have been under review since the 8th and I am wondering if i should be hovering over my email this weekend.
Some people have gotten emails over the weekend, though.

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 am

ValiantVic wrote:I imagine even if we do get PT invite, we should still write a "Why Duke," no?
I was priority track, did not write a Why Duke, and was admitted. I also didn't change my PS at all, even though it only slightly addressed their prompt. It seems like most PT people have gotten in, so I'm not sure a Why Duke is totally necessary if you don't have anything to write about.

cocozhang9950

New

Post by cocozhang9950 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:33 am

I have a 175+ and received a PT invite today. So they are not sending all invites at one time...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”