If accepted early decision, can you withdraw? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uknowme

New

If accepted early decision, can you withdraw?

Post by uknowme » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Is there a time period upon hearing of your early decision acceptance during which you can withdraw from the school?

GeePee

Silver

Re: If accepted early decision, can you withdraw?

Post by GeePee » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:21 pm

No. When you apply ED, you enter into a contract which binds you to attend in the fall regardless of circumstance. You cannot withdraw or defer.

jd-mba

Bronze

Post by jd-mba » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Actually, if it's the same as undergraduate -- you can withdraw due to financial hardships (i.e. if the school offers you zippo financial aid and you have 10 bucks in the bank but can't get a loan with an interest rate below 50%... or something along those lines, those circumstances are usually worked out with the school). But that also means you cannot attend another law school that year.

uknowme

New

Post by uknowme » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Can you apply to only one law school early decision?

ObamaHasDoneJack

New

Post by ObamaHasDoneJack » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:35 pm

yeah, make sure you wanna go to the one you apply to. I'm going to apply to Columbia early decision next year regardless of how I do on the LSAT cause it's my dream school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Foch

New

Post by Foch » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:24 pm

ObamaHasDoneJack wrote:yeah, make sure you wanna go to the one you apply to. I'm going to apply to Columbia early decision next year regardless of how I do on the LSAT cause it's my dream school.
I'm sure we all commend you on your braverism.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:09 pm

You can only withdraw if you decide not to attend any law school that year.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:14 pm

GeePee wrote:No. When you apply ED, you enter into a contract which binds you to attend in the fall regardless of circumstance. You cannot withdraw or defer.
That's wrong. When you apply ED, you enter into a contract not to apply to any other LS for the coming fall. You can withdraw at will, forfeiting your deposit and remaining bound not to attend another LS, or apply for a deferral.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:36 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
GeePee wrote:No. When you apply ED, you enter into a contract which binds you to attend in the fall regardless of circumstance. You cannot withdraw or defer.
That's wrong. When you apply ED, you enter into a contract not to apply to any other LS for the coming fall. You can withdraw at will, forfeiting your deposit and remaining bound not to attend another LS, or apply for a deferral.
Kohinoor is correct, GP is wrong. It really bothers me when people say things in such matter of fact manner when they are clueless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:37 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Kohinoor is correct, GP is wrong. It really bothers me when people say things in such matter of fact manner when they are clueless.
I thought GP was joking?

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
GeePee wrote:
No. When you apply ED, you enter into a contract which binds you to attend in the fall regardless of circumstance. You cannot withdraw or defer.

Wait, what? Am I suffering from serious RC fail?

AFAIK, GP is 100% correct. When you apply ED, you can still apply to other schools, you just cannot apply to those schools ED. If accepted to the ED school, you are obligated to attend that school.

A simple look at LSN tells us that people applying ED to one school also applied to several other schools. If you are accepted ED, you drop your apps at all other schools. If you are rejected, or deferred, you are released from the potentially binding contract.

Take a look at CLS's ED policy, for instance (emphasis mine):

"Candidates applying on an Early Decision basis commit themselves to matriculate at Columbia if admitted. Successful Early Decision candidates may not initiate any new law school applications, must decline any acceptances they may have received prior to admission to Columbia and the Early Decision Plan, and must immediately withdraw other applications once notified of their Columbia acceptance in December. Failure to honor these commitments will result in Columbia revoking its offer of admission"

The fact that accepted ED applicants "must decline any acceptances they may have received prior to admission" tells us that an ED applicant can, in fact, apply to other schools, as long as s/he has not already been accepted to CLS ED.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Shaggier1 wrote: Wait, what? Am I suffering from serious RC fail?
i think so. re-read his statement

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
Wait, what? Am I suffering from serious RC fail?

i think so. re-read his statement
I just did, for the umteenth time (since I know the above posters to be both considerate and well-versed in the what and how of law school admission). Still, I can't get around the fact that this i patently false:

When you apply ED, you enter into a contract not to apply to any other LS for the coming fall.
If you are accepted ED you cannot apply to any other school. The mere act of applying ED, however, does not disallow one from applying to other schools.

I mean, think about the amount of risk that would add. Applying to only one school, especially when that school is most likely a reach? That's craziness.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
When you apply ED, you enter into a contract not to apply to any other LS for the coming fall.
If you are accepted ED you cannot apply to any other school. The mere act of applying ED, however, does not disallow one from applying to other schools.

I mean, think about the amount of risk that would add. Applying to only one school, especially when that school is most likely a reach? That's craziness.
that's not what he said. what he said was:
which is 100% false

as you stated, the ED contract only binds you in attending that law school for the coming cycle if you were to attend any law school. it certainly doesn't bind you in attending if you couldn't nor does it prohibit you from deferring.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Never mind. Now I see it.

Sorry for the thread derail.

So, GP was wrong since you can withdraw, you just can't withdraw to attend another school.

I still think, Kohinoor's statement should be clarified. You can apply to other schools, as long as you haven't already been accepted ED.

roadkilllaw

New

Post by roadkilllaw » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:11 pm

If you accept an ED offer, can you not transfer after 1L either?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:53 pm

ok this is just for shits and giggles:

let's say you get accepted ED at a school A, and you also get accepted at school B

school B>A

could you, defer your acceptance at school B for a year, and withdraw your ED app from school A, and then enroll in school B the following year?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Borhas wrote:ok this is just for shits and giggles:

let's say you get accepted ED at a school A, and you also get accepted at school B

school B>A

could you, defer your acceptance at school B for a year, and withdraw your ED app from school A, and then enroll in school B the following year?

I think you'd have to ask a lawyer or someone who is very familiar with admissions for this one. Even if it is kosher, I think it would be pretty disingenuous.

edit: also, I think part of the ED commitment involves withdrawing all your applications to other schools, so you'd have to figure out a way to work around that too.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Borhas wrote: could you, defer your acceptance at school B for a year, and withdraw your ED app from school A, and then enroll in school B the following year?
the lantern wrote:part of the ED commitment involves withdrawing all your applications to other schools, so you'd have to figure out a way to work around that too.
he can't work around it. he can either attend A or withdraw from both.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:48 am

f0bolous wrote:
Borhas wrote: could you, defer your acceptance at school B for a year, and withdraw your ED app from school A, and then enroll in school B the following year?
the lantern wrote:part of the ED commitment involves withdrawing all your applications to other schools, so you'd have to figure out a way to work around that too.
he can't work around it. he can either attend A or withdraw from both.
That was pretty much what I was implying :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jocelyne

Bronze

Post by jocelyne » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:29 am

can you be released from ED due to financial obligations?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:23 am

jocelyne wrote:can you be released from ED due to financial obligations?
You can withdraw and not attend anywhere. Otherwise, you have to go to the ED school. That is why most (if not all) ED contracts say you should not apply ED if financial assistance is a condition of your attendance.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:36 am

the lantern wrote:
Borhas wrote:ok this is just for shits and giggles:

school B>A

I think you'd have to ask a lawyer or someone who is very familiar with admissions for this one. Even if it is kosher, I think it would be pretty disingenuous.

edit: also, I think part of the ED commitment involves withdrawing all your applications to other schools, so you'd have to figure out a way to work around that too.
Yup, upon acceptance you must immediately withdraw all applications, acceptances and waitlist.

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:44 am

Pretty sure Kohinoor is right. ED is a binding contract and you can withdraw, but you cannot simply choose to attend somewhere else. ED is a big decision that many TLSers this cycle need to treat more seriously; it really should be seen as an option to apply to your top choice school, and not as a tactic to purely boost your odds at a random reach school. That's why it always confounds me how posters list a bunch of schools asking for their chances and want to know where to ED.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”