Is there a HOPE? (3.65/150) Asian URM

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
D. H2Oman

Re: Is there a HOPE? (3.65/150) Asian URM

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:33 pm

kurama20 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote::lol: I'm not sure which one is funnier.

On the side note, do you really think that only URMs are disriminated IRL or that they are more discriminated than some other people?

Do I have to even answer this question for you? I almost forgot that I'm on the parallel universe which is TLS---where whites are struggling in anti white America, fighting against the oppressive Jim Dove laws of affirmative action. Not to mention the horrors of the NAACP and their right to get into Harvard. It's hard out here for a white guy.

Nice job completely misrepresenting her point.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

On the side note, do you really think that only URMs are disriminated IRL or that they are more discriminated than some other people?

Do I have to even answer this question for you? I almost forgot that I'm on the parallel universe which is TLS---where whites are struggling in anti white America, fighting against the oppressive Jim Dove laws of affirmative action. Not to mention the horrors of the NAACP and their right to get into Harvard. It's hard out here for a white guy.

Nice job not having enough common sense to realize that that comment was aimed at the overall trajectory of the thread. Bad job thinking the self tar was a good idea....

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:40 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Dwaterman86 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Nice job not having enough common sense to realize that that comment was aimed at the overall trajectory of the thread. Bad job thinking the self tar was a good idea....

Wow, now that's hilarious. Ummmm ...what do we call it? That's right, argumentum ad hominem. :lol: Dwaterman, don't be surprised if s/he next time starts at how ridiculous your username is.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:42 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:Wow, now that's hilarious. Ummmm ...what do we call it? That's right, argumentum ad hominem. :lol: Dwaterman, don't be surprised if s/he next time starts at how ridiculous your username is.

Wow you serously need to mind your own business. Dykerman and I have history. He repeatedly makes very low class ad hominem attacks when people say something he doesn't agree with like "Cornell is in a very cold location". But then again you don't like the idea of Affirmative action so you just want to jump on any chance you get to bash someone who commented on it in. :roll:

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:44 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

she did just say URMs...plenty of people left that can be discriminated AND aren't white (i wont comment on whether white individuals face discrimination or not, at least in the sense we're talking about)

I know, that's what I meant when I said "do I have even have to answer that".

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:46 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Dwaterman86 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

:( That's hurt man. I feel like we got off on the wrong foot. Why don't we pair up? And hit the town together! I'll be your wingman. Even if it means me taking a chubby, I will suck it up!

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:50 pm

kurama20 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Wow, now that's hilarious. Ummmm ...what do we call it? That's right, argumentum ad hominem. :lol: Dwaterman, don't be surprised if s/he next time starts at how ridiculous your username is.

Wow you serously need to mind your own business. Dykerman and I have history. He repeatedly makes very low class ad hominem attacks when people say something he doesn't agree with like "Cornell is in a very cold location". But then again you don't like the idea of Affirmative action so you just want to jump on any chance you get to bash someone who commented on it in. :roll:

Now, that's unwarranted.

Also, this is a public forum, if you want me to "mind my own business" don't post here. If you feel like having an argument privately, so people like me don't interrupt you, take that to PM.

Learn to defend your position in a more coherent and unflawed way, so I (or people with similar views to mine) will at least be able to admit that you do have a good point and will not develope a hostile feeling to you.

This is the first time I ever chatted with you in a dialog manner, and I already managed to have quite a good idea of your psychological state.

jin

Postby jin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:21 pm

hyunseoki wrote:What a shame... us Asians are supposed to be smart...

Sorry for being exempted from the Asian stereotypes. I guess I am an average Asian. :(

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:31 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:Now, that's unwarranted.

Also, this is a public forum, if you want me to "mind my own business" don't post here. If you feel like having an argument privately, so people like me don't interrupt you, take that to PM.

Learn to defend your position in a more coherent and unflawed way, so I (or people with similar views to mine) will at least be able to admit that you do have a good point and will not develope a hostile feeling to you.

This is the first time I ever chatted with you in a dialog manner, and I already managed to have quite a good idea of your psychological state.

Your arrogance is astounding (especially for someone who misspelled "develop"). First of all I did not argue any position. I was simply highlighting how ludicrous it was to make an insulting and sarcastic comment like " it sucks not being a URM" based off something like not getting a boost in law school admissions. Then you joined the URM bashing bandwagon (as many cowardly AA detractors like yourself do) and insinuated that it was ridiculous to think that URMs do no face substantial discrimination. Honestly I am getting a very clear picture of your psychological state if you are so ridiculous as to think that URMs do not face substantial discrimination.

:( That's hurt man. I feel like we got off on the wrong foot. Why don't we pair up? And hit the town together! I'll be your wingman. Even if it means me taking a chubby, I will suck it up![/quote]

For the record I did that purely to show you how your personal insults have come across . If you notice whenever we have gotten into it I did not start insulting you to this level until after you, out of nowhere, started hurling insults at me because you disagreed with my position. If you are serious about leaving it be then I'm all for it--- and you won't hear one single insult from me. I just don't like how you gave out some really harsh insults based solely on the fact that you disagreed with me. With that said two wrongs don't make a right and I apologize for throwing insults as well.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:41 pm

kurama20 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Now, that's unwarranted.

Your arrogance is astounding (especially for someone who misspelled "develop"). First of all I did not argue any position. I was simply highlighting how ludicrous it was to make an insulting and sarcastic comment like " it sucks not being a URM" based off something like not getting a boost in law school admissions. Then you joined the URM bashing bandwagon (as many cowardly AA detractors like yourself do) and insinuated that it was ridiculous to think that URMs do no face substantial discrimination. Honestly I am getting a very clear picture of your psychological state if you are so ridiculous as to think that URMs do not face substantial discrimination.

:lol:

Whatever...

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:43 pm

[/quote]

:lol:

Whatever...
[/quote]

Glad you fixed it ! :lol:

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Glad you fixed it ! :lol:

Fixed what?

rsg87

Postby rsg87 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm

kurama20 wrote:

I may be wrong here but you are complaining about being discriminated against and then you call someone a dyke?

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm

kurama20 wrote:
BiteyTLS wrote:All of which, with the possible exception of the police incident and your odd racial dating example, you will receive preferential treatment. Law Firms are constantly bringing in underqualified minorities under the guise of making the firm more "diverse" and "inclusive". Same goes for the "private schools" example, we even had a diversity director in high school that actively sought to bring in more black students (many of whom were far under median scores) and held racial-based meetings to talk about their apparent diversity.

If you think being black or hispanic helps in any of the situations I mentioned---all I can say is that you are definitely not black or Hispanic.

Ah, the classic pro-AA comeback. "You are not a minority, therefore you can't possibly have an educated opinion on the subject." Works great for ostracizing men from partaking in the abortion debate too!

I also know that being black or Hispanic helps in many of those situations. In the case where two applicants are identical but one is a URM, the URM will have the edge in just about any company you ask because qualified minorities are golden eggs for companies to pat themselves on the back.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:55 pm

hhh

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:57 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
BiteyTLS wrote:All of which, with the possible exception of the police incident and your odd racial dating example, you will receive preferential treatment. Law Firms are constantly bringing in underqualified minorities under the guise of making the firm more "diverse" and "inclusive". Same goes for the "private schools" example, we even had a diversity director in high school that actively sought to bring in more black students (many of whom were far under median scores) and held racial-based meetings to talk about their apparent diversity.

If you think being black or hispanic helps in any of the situations I mentioned---all I can say is that you are definitely not black or Hispanic.

Ah, the classic pro-AA comeback. "You are not a minority, therefore you can't possibly have an educated opinion on the subject." Works great for ostracizing men from partaking in the abortion debate too!

I also know that being black or Hispanic helps in many of those situations. In the case where two applicants are identical but one is a URM, the URM will have the edge in just about any company you ask because qualified minorities are golden eggs for companies to pat themselves on the back.

If you honestly believe that being black or Hispanic helps in getting most jobs...you are very out of touch with reality. You need to look up the statistics on race and jobs ( stats like a black man looking for employment with no criminal record has about the same success rate as a white male convicted felon). You will find tons of data that are so opposed to what you are saying that it isn't even funny. And although it doesn't line up with a lot of LSAT type thinking, you need to realize that there are certain things in life that you just simply cannot fully understand until you have experienced them. Getting a boost in graduate school admissions in no way aligns with the URM experience in any other facet of life. Also your comeback comment is an extreme strawman. I never said that you could have no educated opinion on the matter---you bastardized my position.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

As other posters have suggested, please actually look into studies and statistics before spouting ignorance based upon what you and other idiots talk about at the water cooler. Job applicants with stereotypical black names (i.e. Jamal, Tyrone, etc.) are 50% less likely to be called for a job interview than their white named counterparts. --LinkRemoved--

You find info that supports what you want to believe and then stop doing research at that point.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:27 pm

Last edited by 02082010 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 pm

kurama20 wrote:Don't worry, when you are applying for a job, trying to get a loan, trying to buy a house, driving in a nice car late at night, having a disagreement with a police officer, trying to send your kids to private school, trying to make partner at a law firm, on trial for a crime you didn't commit, or trying to date someone who isn't black you won't feel this way.

Rocketman11 wrote:I also know that being black or Hispanic helps in many of those situations. In the case where two applicants are identical but one is a URM, the URM will have the edge in just about any company you ask because qualified minorities are golden eggs for companies to pat themselves on the back.

Egregious RC fail. Being hired by a law firm is not the same as making partner at a law firm. Be sure to iron that out before your retake.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:36 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Don't worry, when you are applying for a job, trying to get a loan, trying to buy a house, driving in a nice car late at night, having a disagreement with a police officer, trying to send your kids to private school, trying to make partner at a law firm, on trial for a crime you didn't commit, or trying to date someone who isn't black you won't feel this way.

Rocketman11 wrote:I also know that being black or Hispanic helps in many of those situations. In the case where two applicants are identical but one is a URM, the URM will have the edge in just about any company you ask because qualified minorities are golden eggs for companies to pat themselves on the back.

Egregious RC fail. Being hired by a law firm is not the same as making partner at a law firm. Be sure to iron that out before your retake.

I was wondering if anyone was going to point that out. Well done.

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:43 pm

Drake014 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

I think these debates are silly. There are lots of jobs where being a URM is a huge advantage (federal gov. jobs for example) and jobs where it is a big disadvantage. Let's move back to the point of the thread, which is that the OP will need to retake the LSAT in order to get into a T20.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:46 pm

hiro86 wrote:I think these debates are silly. There are lots of jobs where being a URM is a huge advantage (federal gov. jobs for example) and jobs where it is a big disadvantage. Let's move back to the point of the thread, which is that the OP will need to retake the LSAT in order to get into a T20.

As someone who has very personal experience with this--- I will say it is NOT true.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:53 pm

hiro86 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

I think these debates are silly. There are lots of jobs where being a URM is a huge advantage (federal gov. jobs for example) and jobs where it is a big disadvantage. Let's move back to the point of the thread, which is that the OP will need to retake the LSAT in order to get into a T20.

The bolded is true but not because of what follows it.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Drake014 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

Hey kids, hate to break it to you, but "being hired by a law firm" is encompassed by "applying for a job" which i bolded. That's embarrassing. Well done.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

As other posters have suggested, please actually look into studies and statistics before spouting ignorance based upon what you and other idiots talk about at the water cooler. Job applicants with stereotypical black names (i.e. Jamal, Tyrone, etc.) are 50% less likely to be called for a job interview than their white named counterparts. --LinkRemoved--

You find info that supports what you want to believe and then stop doing research at that point.

The fact that you had to reach back to 2003 to find something to support your argument speaks volumes. I have no doubt that when it comes to shitty little positions in the south, yeah there is prejudice in there. I will clarify my point that in large/major corporations (e.g. most things not mom and pop), URM status is beneficial.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”