Is there a HOPE? (3.65/150) Asian URM

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jin

Re: Is there a HOPE? (3.65/150)

Postby jin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:03 am

jack duluoz wrote:do u have trouble with the test being taken in english? im just curious. but i believe if u have 3.65 and didnt major in basket weaving u can at least score a 155 with some work

My major is Business and yes, language barrier slows me down. I can only finish 14 questions on LR section. BTW, I took a prep class at TM. :cry:

Postby 02082010 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:24 am

jin wrote:
jack duluoz wrote:do u have trouble with the test being taken in english? im just curious. but i believe if u have 3.65 and didnt major in basket weaving u can at least score a 155 with some work

I can only finish 14 questions on LR section.

:shock:

Did you go to a U.S. UG? How was your TOEFL? I can't imagine you doing all the reading every night during LS while still being able to get more than 2 hours of sleep/night if you can really only manage to get to 14 questions in LR.

jin

Postby jin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
jin wrote:

Did you go to a U.S. UG? How was your TOEFL? I can't imagine you doing all the reading every night during LS while still being able to get more than 2 hours of sleep/night if you can really only manage to get to 14 questions in LR.

:oops: Yeh. I am graduating from U.S. UG. I study very hard tho. I really don't want to take it agian, but I guess I have to. What is the best way to improve my speed in the real test? I wish one day, I could finish all the sections in 30 minutes like other ppl. I am hopeless now .

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:23 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Kurama, send me the link to black law school discussion.

Also, I hate my TTT GPA :| and I hate even more that my upward trend doesn't mean a thing.

Yeah unfortunately you and I are in the same boat. To be honest I rather us be 3.8 GPA 160 LSAT AA males. If we had that profile we would be in a lot better shape.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... board=32.0

P.S Focus on the "What are my chances" thread.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:28 pm

jin wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
jin wrote:

:oops: Yeh. I am graduating from U.S. UG. I study very hard tho. I really don't want to take it agian, but I guess I have to. What is the best way to improve my speed in the real test? I wish one day, I could finish all the sections in 30 minutes like other ppl. I am hopeless now .

OP instead of studying the LSAT I recommend you just try reading more often for awhile. You really need to get your base level reading skills up before you start trying to study for the LSAT. The LSAT rapes a lot of people who have complete mastery of the English language and who can read effectively and quickly. For you to jump in without having a certain level of reading skills is simply suicide. Be patient and work on walking before running. Work hard; you can improve beyond a 150.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:36 pm

I love when Asians think they are getting URM status and then find out NOPE you're screwed just like us whiteys. That moment is priceless.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:50 pm

You're not a URM. If you were a black female, then you might have one of these ridiculous shots at the T14 they occasionally get.

You will need 165 to compete in that range.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:I love when Asians think they are getting URM status and then find out NOPE you're screwed just like us whiteys. That moment is priceless.

That's a bit harsh and uncalled for.

jin

Postby jin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:06 pm

BiteyTLS wrote:You're not a URM. If you were a black female, then you might have one of these ridiculous shots at the T14 they occasionally get.

You will need 165 to compete in that range.

:cry:

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:10 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:I love when Asians think they are getting URM status and then find out NOPE you're screwed just like us whiteys. That moment is priceless.

Not being a URM sucks, that's all i'm sayin.

jin

Postby jin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Thanks, you guys are very nice.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:39 pm

LOL

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:00 pm

ha

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Don't worry, when you are applying for a job, trying to get a loan, trying to buy a house, driving in a nice car late at night, having a disagreement with a police officer, trying to send your kids to private school, trying to make partner at a law firm, on trial for a crime you didn't commit, or trying to date someone who isn't black you won't feel this way.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:25 pm

kurama20 wrote:

Don't worry, when you are applying for a job, trying to get a loan, trying to buy a house, driving in a nice car late at night, having a disagreement with a police officer, trying to send your kids to private school, trying to make partner at a law firm, on trial for a crime you didn't commit, or trying to date someone who isn't black you won't feel this way.

LOL

If the :roll: smiley could be given out as an award, you win.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:31 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

All of which, with the possible exception of the police incident and your odd racial dating example, you will receive preferential treatment. Law Firms are constantly bringing in underqualified minorities under the guise of making the firm more "diverse" and "inclusive". Same goes for the "private schools" example, we even had a diversity director in high school that actively sought to bring in more black students (many of whom were far under median scores) and held racial-based meetings to talk about their apparent diversity.

Iuvo

Re: Is there a HOPE? (3.65/150) Asian URM

Postby Iuvo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm

I would have to say the OP has no chance short of scoring a 170 on his retake.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

LOL

Rocketman11 wrote:

kurama20 wrote:

Believe me this bolded bullshit more than takes the cake for the :roll: award. Clearly having to face discrimination in almost every facet of American life is far outweighed by a boost for law school admissions. :roll:

BiteyTLS wrote:All of which, with the possible exception of the police incident and your odd racial dating example, you will receive preferential treatment. Law Firms are constantly bringing in underqualified minorities under the guise of making the firm more "diverse" and "inclusive". Same goes for the "private schools" example, we even had a diversity director in high school that actively sought to bring in more black students (many of whom were far under median scores) and held racial-based meetings to talk about their apparent diversity.

If you think being black or hispanic helps in any of the situations I mentioned---all I can say is that you are definitely not black or Hispanic.

jin

Postby jin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Iuvo wrote:I would have to say the OP has no chance short of scoring a 170 on his retake.

I think so too.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:06 pm

jin wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Thanks, you guys are very nice.

:lol: I'm not sure which one is funnier.

On the side note, do you really think that only URMs are disriminated IRL or that they are more discriminated than some other people? :roll:

OP, just put some real time into the test, and you will hit 160.

Also, I find it ridiculous when people are not willing to put enough work into studying, but hope to get some boost and be admitted into t14. Bullshit!

If you're not smart enough great school is not for you. There is reason why there are Harvard, University of Florida, and some TTT.
Last edited by TheLuckyOne on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

hyunseoki

Postby hyunseoki » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:10 pm

What a shame... us Asians are supposed to be smart...

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

LOL

just me or do asians sound like they get shafted in this on both ends...maybe not those specific things listed, but how many ppl have asian bosses (not in engineering or the health fields) or know of an asian american dean? not that many at all...lol

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote::lol: I'm not sure which one is funnier.

On the side note, do you really think that only URMs are disriminated IRL or that they are more discriminated than some other people?

Do I have to even answer this question for you? I almost forgot that I'm on the parallel universe which is TLS---where whites are struggling in anti white America, fighting against the oppressive Jim Dove laws of affirmative action. Not to mention the horrors of the NAACP and their right to get into Harvard. It's hard out here for a white guy.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:19 pm

kurama20 wrote:

On the side note, do you really think that only URMs are disriminated IRL or that they are more discriminated than some other people?

Do I have to even answer this question for you? I almost forgot that I'm on the parallel universe which is TLS---where whites are struggling in anti white America, fighting against the oppressive Jim Dove laws of affirmative action. Not to mention the horrors of the NAACP and their right to get into Harvard. It's hard out here for a white guy.

Dude, don't get me started here. Please!
Everyone is fighting agaist some injustice.

I'm leaving this thread....

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:21 pm

kurama20 wrote:

she did just say URMs...plenty of people left that can be discriminated AND aren't white (i wont comment on whether white individuals face discrimination or not, at least in the sense we're talking about)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”