Northwestern Interview Process: What's it Like?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopin10

Re: Northwestern Interview Process: What's it Like?

Postby hopin10 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:12 pm

Mine was about 45 min. with a recent alum who worked down the street from me. Took place at a Starbucks. Very informal conversation, asked me about my experiences at my current employer, why NU, and the like. No trick questions, no tough prodding--just a generally good experience.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:25 pm

hopin10 wrote:Mine was about 45 min. with a recent alum who worked down the street from me. Took place at a Starbucks. Very informal conversation, asked me about my experiences at my current employer, why NU, and the like. No trick questions, no tough prodding--just a generally good experience.

that's sweet...did you guys discuss #'s at all (LSAT, GPA, etc)?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:07 pm

just had my interview. afterward i feel a lot better about everything related to the process of applying to law schools. it was good.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:17 pm

clint4law wrote:
hopin10 wrote:Mine was about 45 min. with a recent alum who worked down the street from me. Took place at a Starbucks. Very informal conversation, asked me about my experiences at my current employer, why NU, and the like. No trick questions, no tough prodding--just a generally good experience.

At the on campus interview, you had to fill out a piece of paper with your numbers, and hand it to the interviewer when you walked in.

janer

Postby janer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:09 pm

+1

Although I had an on-campus interview (with a current student), it was a similar experience. Questions about work experience, why law school, why NU, etc. There was plenty of time to ask questions about NU so make sure to have a list of questions ready.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 pm

yeah, i could imagine this interview being difficult for someone that doesn't have work experience to talk about

MeasuredOptimism

Postby MeasuredOptimism » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:21 pm

rayiner wrote:
clint4law wrote:

At the on campus interview, you had to fill out a piece of paper with your numbers, and hand it to the interviewer when you walked in.

+1 I had an off campus interview with admissions staff and had to fill out the little paper with the numbers beforehand too. it also asks for LSAC number- so if you don't have it on your resume, make sure you bring it with you.

My interview was about 20 min. answering questions, 20 min. me asking questions/talking about Northwestern. Sample questions from my interview:
-What's one of your major regrets?
-What's something people misperceive about you?
-What other law schools are you applying to?

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 pm

clint4law wrote:

Nope, my convo was pretty free of numbers discussion. I had sent my resume beforehand, which has my GPA, but he didn't ask.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:31 pm

MeasuredOptimism wrote:My interview was about 20 min. answering questions, 20 min. me asking questions/talking about Northwestern. Sample questions from my interview:

That sounds awful. I'm glad my interviewer didn't go into the "Tell me your greatest weakness, etc." b.s.

williestark

Postby williestark » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Timely thread. I've got a lunch interview with a local alum tomorrow. I will report back in the afternoon while the experience is still fresh in my mind.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:40 pm

also if you read up on common questions for Bschool interviews, you'll be more than ready for this. just change MBA to JD and you're set.

muffinru

Postby muffinru » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 pm

fl0w wrote:also if you read up on common questions for Bschool interviews, you'll be more than ready for this. just change MBA to JD and you're set.

This was very good advice that I used to prepare for my interview (thanks!). Mine was 30-40 min in a firm. The interviewer asked me a list of questions and wrote down my answers (and perhaps their impressions?). The interview was more of one question after the other rather than a discussion.
Last edited by muffinru on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opus127

Postby opus127 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Mine was also at a big firm. The interviewer had printed the resume that I sent in advance, but did not take notes and did not go over the resume in detail. It was more discussion than Q&A.

All in all, it was relaxed, comfortable, and fun. (And yes, I'm an introvert, and "interviewing" and "fun" don't often go in the same sentence for me.)
Last edited by opus127 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bazoogakitty

Postby bazoogakitty » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:47 pm

I just had my interview yesterday with a local alumnus in Hong Kong. I sent him my resume and brought a copy, but it was not really used at all during the interview. He didn't know my LSAT score. He told me the purpose of the interview was to weed out people who are truly unsure about going to law school or have bad reasons for wanting to go.

We talked about where we're both from (Midwest), chatted about the prevalence of bars at Northwestern compared to UChicago, and he told me a little bit about his career path, career recruiting in law school, and asked me why I thought I wanted to be a lawyer and what type of law I'd like to practice.

It was very informal. He told me the purpose of the interview was as much for him to talk to me about law school, Chicago, and Northwestern, as it was for him to get information from me.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:49 pm

they asked me what kinda fruit i was so be prepared

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mh7777

Postby mh7777 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:11 pm

Had mine today with an alum who works at a big firm down the street. (I'm in Austin, TX.) Very easygoing. He asked about why I wanted to go to law school and what I wanted to do after, and we went over my resume quickly. He was also happy to talk up NU and answer a few questions I had. It took 30 minutes total. The impression I have gotten from my interview and the ones my friends' have had is that the purpose of interviews is to (a) make sure you're not crazy, (b) tell you how great NU is.

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:16 pm

kbo026

Postby kbo026 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Last edited by kbo026 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

logitech

Postby logitech » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
MeasuredOptimism wrote:My interview was about 20 min. answering questions, 20 min. me asking questions/talking about Northwestern. Sample questions from my interview:

That sounds awful. I'm glad my interviewer didn't go into the "Tell me your greatest weakness, etc." b.s.

+1 You are the first person to describe an interview that included these type of abstract questions. I think I can handle those if asked, but it doesn't sound ideal.

logitech

Postby logitech » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:30 pm

jcunni5 wrote:they asked me what kinda fruit i was so be prepared

You're not being serious, are you?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I was wondering this, too. Is a suit really called for?

Can't go wrong with a suit for an interview.

For many programming jobs wearing a suit to an interview would be an auto rejection.

chappy86

Postby chappy86 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:51 pm

I just had my On-Campus interview on Friday. Overall, it went really well. It was very conversational but still formal. I have yet to submit my application so you are definitely allowed to interview without having applied.

As far as interview questions, the lady asked me about my work experiences, undergraduate college (why I selected my UG school, major, etc), what I took from my UG experience and how I will use that knowledge in law school, Teach For America experience (I'm a current 2nd year Corps member), book currently reading, national/local issue I'm concerned about and why, personal interest's (i.e. travel, running, etc) and why I'm interested in Northwestern. She then allowed a few minutes for me to ask questions.

I wore a suit to the interview and all of the people that were in the waiting room also wore suits.

It really is a "conversation" about what THEY offer and most importantly, what YOU can offer. Hope this helps...feel free to shoot me a message/post if you want more details.

eleemosynary

Postby eleemosynary » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:59 am

How long was the resume you provided them? 1 or 2 pages?

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:14 pm

had mine friday on-campus as well

it should be pretty standard that if you go into a professional interview...you wear a suit (as a guy)

anyways, my interviewer was very likable and made a real effort to get to know me and what drives me...no real curve balls - she went very in depth as to my extracurricular work and answered all the questions i threw at her like a pro...she then proceeded to market her school very enthusiastically as one might expect...

45 min, professional, and was indeed a conversation - not a grillfest

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”