/

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laolbjob

/

Postby laolbjob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:34 am

Last edited by laolbjob on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

laolbjob

Re: JD-CAS, Foreign Credential Evaluation, "Superior"

Postby laolbjob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

:cry: :cry: anyone?

birdgirl

Postby birdgirl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:35 am

I'm an international student and would love to know this too for future reference. There's an unfortunate dearth of information regarding foreign credential evaluation. :(

laolbjob

Postby laolbjob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:33 am

Last edited by laolbjob on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:52 pm

laolbjob wrote:If I'm on the "superior" scale, how would the adcomms weigh it? Is it equivalent to a 3.8+ GPA? Anybody has been on the same boat with me?

My JD Credential Assembly Service evaluation has a table showing grades in the foreign country and the corresponding U.S. grades (for example, 10 = A+, 9 = A, 8 = A-, etc.). I imagine that admissions officers would take the grade average listed on your evaluation and use the table, if one is included, to determine its equivalent on the 4.0 scale.

str1der

Postby str1der » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:39 am

Hey guys,

I am an international student too. Just got my evaluated report too. There are 2 keys here:

1. Superior is the rating given to your course/university. This is regarding the quality of education you received.
2. There must be a lettered Grade as well A,A-,B etc. For eg: I have an A which translates to a GPA of 4.00 You can check the Grade Conversion Table on the LSAC website in their LSDAS FAQ

Btw, how's your prep? What school's you targeting and what kind of PT Scores are you getting?

Ankit

laolbjob

Postby laolbjob » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:07 am

str1der wrote:Hey guys,

I am an international student too. Just got my evaluated report too. There are 2 keys here:

1. Superior is the rating given to your course/university. This is regarding the quality of education you received.
2. There must be a lettered Grade as well A,A-,B etc. For eg: I have an A which translates to a GPA of 4.00 You can check the Grade Conversion Table on the LSAC website in their LSDAS FAQ

Btw, how's your prep? What school's you targeting and what kind of PT Scores are you getting?

Ankit

Thank you str1der. See my "profile" for detail.

I don't think "superior" is the educational quality; I think it's an applicant's academic performance. Input?

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:23 am

I don't think "superior" is the educational quality; I think it's an applicant's academic performance. Input?

That is correct. The terms "Superior," "Above Average," "Average," and "Below Average" describe an applicant's academic performance, not the quality of the institution attended.

natalie_marie

Postby natalie_marie » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:25 am

I'm also interested in finding out more about the evaluation process. My situation is such that I have taken exams in my first year, but I only had to pass them to proceed to the final two years of my course which are the only grades which count towards my final degree classification. I wonder if anyone else knows how my transcript will then be evaluated? Will it be based on both my first year and final year exams or solely on final year exams?

str1der

Postby str1der » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:47 am

Yeah I meant that only. Basically the quality of education as I said. Which means the applicant's performance. I do thin that maybe the university name plays a part as well, cause another person I know with similar grades in the same course got an above average. his university isn't that well known/good.

laolbjob

Postby laolbjob » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:00 am

Last edited by laolbjob on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pulpfree

Postby pulpfree » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:37 am

str1der wrote:Hey guys,

I think st1der is right. I remember reading on TLS that the verbal rating thing is based on the quality/reputation of UG in your country, not the academic performance of candidates. I got "superior" (my UG is top 5 in my country), and they didn't convert my GPA. (0-4.5 scale)

Good luck to all international applicants!

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:04 am

Scheveningen wrote:

That is correct. The terms "Superior," "Above Average," "Average," and "Below Average" describe an applicant's academic performance, not the quality of the institution attended.

What makes you think so? :roll: I just love these supposedly "expert" comments on forums.

OP, first, if you're not sure what it refers to, just open the " blah blah key" and there will be an explanation for everything.
second, str1der is correct. It's the quality of your education, which in other words means "so how good your university is".

You don't wonder that adcoms take into account the quality of American universities when review an application, do you? Why would it be any different with international students. Of course, they wanna know whether that was a respectable place or not.

The "grade point average" is in the top right corner with an explanation of what all that means sometime later (they provide a scale or something).

The funny part is that LSDAS graded Oxford as "above average" :lol:, did you graduate from some well known university, or just a great one in your country? Just wondering...

laolbjob

Re: JD-CAS, Foreign Evaluation, "Superior""above average"...

Postby laolbjob » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:23 am

But the report says "superior""above average" indicate "Quality of Academic Record", NOT "Quality of College Education" or something like that!

TheLuckyOne

Re: JD-CAS, Foreign Evaluation, "Superior""above average"...

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:30 am

laolbjob wrote:But the report says "superior""above average" indicate "Quality of Academic Record", NOT "Quality of College Education" or something like that!

I said "report KEY" not "report"!

Unfortunately, I cannot access LSAC.org right now (the site appears to be down), so I could copy-paste you what it says. Thus, you will have to check yourself.

edinbourgh

Re: JD-CAS, Foreign Evaluation, "Superior""Above average"...

Postby edinbourgh » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:29 am

Hi guys. I was hoping to get this cleared up, too.

To share what I personally know, my university, which is ranked 2nd or 3rd in our country depending on who you ask is referred to as "above average." The Oxford comment above seems to strongly suggest that maybe it really does refer to a particular student's academic performance. Or maybe it would help to go find some super gunner from the number one school in our country, make him sign up for lsac.org simply to get an evaluation. Oh, and he's gotta be a sub-3.5 student or the results can be skewed.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:25 am

edinbourgh wrote:Hi guys. I was hoping to get this cleared up, too.

To share what I personally know, my university, which is ranked 2nd or 3rd in our country depending on who you ask is referred to as "above average." The Oxford comment above seems to strongly suggest that maybe it really does refer to a particular student's academic performance. Or maybe it would help to go find some super gunner from the number one school in our country, make him sign up for lsac.org simply to get an evaluation. Oh, and he's gotta be a sub-3.5 student or the results can be skewed.

The quote from Foreign Transcripts Evaluation Key LSDAS provides: "Quality of academic record: Levels of quality are listed as follows by AACRAO and refer to the bachelor-equivalent school: superior, above average, average, below average, N/A"

That doesn't sound like GPA, does it?

And that study won't provide anything either way. If the guy gets excellent grades and a school is excellent then the report will say "superior" and we won't figure it. If his grades are subpar and an institution is excellent, and the report will say "above average", we won't know if it refers to grades or to institution. We can prove only if his grades are not too good and the univ is great and report says "excellent".

I think, in this case, it's safer to find super gunner who studies at an average univ.

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:17 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
Scheveningen wrote:

What makes you think so? :roll: I just love these supposedly "expert" comments on forums.

OP, first, if you're not sure what it refers to, just open the " blah blah key" and there will be an explanation for everything.
second, str1der is correct. It's the quality of your education, which in other words means "so how good your university is".

You don't wonder that adcoms take into account the quality of American universities when review an application, do you? Why would it be any different with international students. Of course, they wanna know whether that was a respectable place or not.

The "grade point average" is in the top right corner with an explanation of what all that means sometime later (they provide a scale or something).

The funny part is that LSDAS graded Oxford as "above average" :lol:, did you graduate from some well known university, or just a great one in your country? Just wondering...

Another law school applicant from my university received a different rating, so obviously it can't refer to the university. Plus, there's no way that Oxford would only be described as "above average."

IHL2009

Postby IHL2009 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey Guys,

Check this out...it refers to applicant's academic record!

--LinkRemoved--

Cheers!

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:47 pm

IHL2009 wrote:Hey Guys,

--LinkRemoved--

Cheers!

That's wierd.

The quote from Foreign Transcripts Evaluation Key LSDAS states: "Quality of academic record: Levels of quality are listed as follows by AACRAO and refer to the bachelor-equivalent school: superior, above average, average, below average, N/A"

Which sounds like it refers to school.

And the link you provided states: Quality of participant's academic record as viewed in the country where the participant received education.

This clearly refers to the grades.

I'm confused now. Why would LSAC word it that way if they meant grades...hmmm. strange.

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:58 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
IHL2009 wrote:Hey Guys,

--LinkRemoved--

Cheers!

That's wierd.

The quote from Foreign Transcripts Evaluation Key LSDAS states: "Quality of academic record: Levels of quality are listed as follows by AACRAO and refer to the bachelor-equivalent school: superior, above average, average, below average, N/A"

Which sounds like it refers to school.

And the link you provided states: Quality of participant's academic record as viewed in the country where the participant received education.

This clearly refers to the grades.

I'm confused now. Why would LSAC word it that way if they meant grades...hmmm. strange.

I agree -- the language could be made more clear.

edinbourgh

Postby edinbourgh » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Hence the confusion about this. I have yet to find any definite consensus about this either on sites like tls or among applicants from my country.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Not sure either bout would really love to know, mine says Superior so that is a good think independently of what it means, I diddnt get my grade converted to GPA but a little converstion table was aded in which I do pretty well, I just hope law schools tust JD CAS.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:Not sure either bout would really love to know, mine says Superior so that is a good think independently of what it means, I diddnt get my grade converted to GPA but a little converstion table was aded in which I do pretty well, I just hope law schools tust JD CAS.

Hope so, they don't really have a choice :?

laolbjob

Postby laolbjob » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”