Penn/Virginia to Harvard/Stanford Transferring Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zyxwvut7

Penn/Virginia to Harvard/Stanford Transferring Question

Postby zyxwvut7 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:52 am

Basically that's my question, what percentile in your class would you have to be in your 1L year to transfer from a Virginia/Penn to Harvard/Stanford?

I'd also appreciate if you had some reason for throwing out a number, or if it's just a guess let me know what it's based on. Thanks a lot.

KingJones

Re: Penn/Virginia to Harvard/Stanford Transferring Question

Postby KingJones » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:13 am

Have you been accepted to those schools or are you assuming you will based on you PT's?

Mods, lock this thread please.

lawlover829

Postby lawlover829 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:18 am

KingJones wrote:Have you been accepted to those schools or are you assuming you will based on you PT's?

Well it's a good question. no need to lock this thread.
You need to be top 1-5%

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:20 am

lawlover829 wrote:
KingJones wrote:Have you been accepted to those schools or are you assuming you will based on you PT's?

You need to be top 1-5%

KingJones posts "mods, lock this thread" in all of his posts, I think it's like his little special signature. Also as for OP, probably could transfer into HLS with like top 20% at a T10 school I think?

lawlover829

Postby lawlover829 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:23 am

lawduder wrote:
lawlover829 wrote:

You need to be top 1-5%

KingJones posts "mods, lock this thread" in all of his posts, I think it's like his little special signature. Also as for OP, probably could transfer into HLS with like top 20% at a T10 school I think?

Maybe top 20%? There was a thread that someone wrote about transfering. That was a good one. OP look it up.

WTF, why would that be a signature? LOL.
Anyways... whatever...

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:28 am

To transfer into HYS you need:
-top 5-10% at a Top 20
-top 5% at T1
-top 1% at a mid-upper T2
-Other notes: People in the top 1% in the Top 20 generally have a lock on at least one of the holy trinity. I could not find a record of anyone in the lower T2/T3/T4 transferring into HYS (though XxSpyKEx says there was 1 guy who went to HYS from a T4 because he co-authored an article or something). Yale and Stanford only appear to take people in the T1 and up. Also, people in the T2 who transfer to Harvard are pretty much always ranked #1. People have stated that HYS only takes transfers who had a shot as an undergrad. My guess is that this is partially true for YS but not H, but there is no data on this point. I do believe that you need above average softs for HYS, but the data seems to show that numbers alone can do the job.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82937

I guess top 20% is a little to liberal, but if top 10% from a t20 would give you a shot, I'd only think that t10-->HLS would be a little more lenient.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:30 am

If you're that high in your class at Penn/UVA, it more than likely isn't worth it to transfer, at least from what I've heard and what common sense dictates.

TheJudge

Postby TheJudge » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:42 am

Go here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/files/

Download transferdatabase.xls

Find out what happened to other people in previous cycles.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:01 am

Helmholtz wrote:If you're that high in your class at Penn/UVA, it more than likely isn't worth it to transfer, at least from what I've heard and what common sense dictates.

This.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 am

Are you dumb?

lawlover829

Postby lawlover829 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:39 am

Rocketman11 wrote:

Are you dumb?

+1

spondee

Postby spondee » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:17 pm

The language on Harvard's website regarding transfers suggests that they prefer transfer applicants who could have been admitted to HLS for 1L as well. I have no idea how accurately that reflects the transfers they do admit, but it's something to keep in mind.

zyxwvut7

Postby zyxwvut7 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Are you retarded, wtf kind of response is that? Someone's bitter that their LSAT was lower than their PT average.

Anyway, I figured I could ask a question and maybe get an answer instead of being probed about my motivations but yes, I took the LSAT, yes I'm in at one of these schools. So, thanks to everyone for their insights, anyone else have any experience with this type of transferring? I was hoping that top 20% at Virginia/Penn could get me into one of these two schools, let me know what you guys think.

Edit: Also some insight into what you're basing your guess on would be nice.

zyxwvut7

Postby zyxwvut7 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:10 am

Anybody? Would top 20% do it?

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:53 am

zyxwvut7 wrote:Anybody? Would top 20% do it?

Most people from MVP don't try to transfer, so there's not a lot of data, unfortunately.

zyxwvut7

Postby zyxwvut7 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:09 pm

kurla88 wrote:

Most people from MVP don't try to transfer, so there's not a lot of data, unfortunately.

I know but there has to be some info somewhere, anybody have any insights or stories or anything...?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 pm

zyxwvut7 wrote:
kurla88 wrote:

I know but there has to be some info somewhere, anybody have any insights or stories or anything...?

Not giving too many details because they aren't my details to give, but I have a friend who transferred MVP --> HLS with top 20-30% grades.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Georgiana wrote:
zyxwvut7 wrote:
kurla88 wrote:

Not giving too many details because they aren't my details to give, but I have a friend who transferred MVP --> HLS with top 20-30% grades.

This may be terrible to post on something that was quit last year, BUT, the question is:
If you are top20% at MVP would it be worth it to go to HYS? What about columbia?

Wouldnt you have pretty good biglaw prospects from MVP top 20%?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”