Decided against LS...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
seveoneanon

Decided against LS...

Postby seveoneanon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:35 pm

-
Last edited by seveoneanon on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsb

Re: Decided against LS...

Postby lsb » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:38 pm

seveoneanon wrote:So I decided to follow a "dream job" of mine instead of go to law school. I got into Chicago, but will ultimately withdraw.

I took a job with one of the big "acronym" federal police agencies (one of ATF, USMS, FBI, NCIS, or DEA). I will make about 90k in about 2.5 years with automatic grade progressions. I planned on going the AUSA route out of Chicago, and then maybe private. But honestly.... from what I see... the case agents have the most fun... I'd rather kick in doors at 12AM than argue in court at 9AM. I won't make as much $$$ in the long-run, of course... but I'll be ahead of the curve initially without the 180k debt from Chicago, yeah?

It's too late now for me to change my mind. After I withdrawal from Chicago (I was accepted ED), I'll be blackballed from law schools in the future.

Thoughts?

If I had the option at one of those agencies (especially the ATF or FBI) I would not pass it up. It's unique and a hell of a lot more fascinating than being a lawyer IMO.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Sounds like it will be really interesting work. Best of luck with it!

bumblebeetoona

Postby bumblebeetoona » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Good for you! Feel free to keep posting here. LawAndOrder still does :P .

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Did you think you had no chance at getting hired on as an agent? Just wondering why you applied to ls and the agency. Is there any chance that the agency would help you out if you decided to go to ls later? Congrats by the way,

seveoneanon

Postby seveoneanon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 pm

ejjones wrote:Did you think you had no chance at getting hired on as an agent? Just wondering why you applied to ls and the agency. Is there any chance that the agency would help you out if you decided to go to ls later? Congrats by the way,
Last edited by seveoneanon on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:05 pm

seveoneanon wrote:So I decided to follow a "dream job" of mine instead of go to law school. I got into Chicago, but will ultimately withdraw.

I took a job with one of the big "acronym" federal police agencies (one of ATF, USMS, FBI, NCIS, or DEA). I will make about 90k in about 2.5 years with automatic grade progressions. I planned on going the AUSA route out of Chicago, and then maybe private. But honestly.... from what I see... the case agents have the most fun... I'd rather kick in doors at 12AM than argue in court at 9AM. I won't make as much $$$ in the long-run, of course... but I'll be ahead of the curve initially without the 180k debt from Chicago, yeah?

It's too late now for me to change my mind. After I withdrawal from Chicago (I was accepted ED), I'll be blackballed from law schools in the future.

Thoughts?

You're saving yourself a life full of misery, toil, and the possibility of a shitload of money.

Congratulations.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Thoughts?

It's good to see a young man finding his passion. Don't be the first one in the door once you kick it in.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:59 pm

im jealous

gmail

Postby gmail » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:40 am

This person's story is so close to mine it's actually a bit scary.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:56 am

bumblebeetoona wrote:Good for you! Feel free to keep posting here. LawAndOrder still does :P .

True story. The risk of not getting a 160k job was too great for me to go into $150k in debt. That and I realized I don't necessarily want to work 60-hour weeks for the rest of my life. I want to work to live, not live to work. Now I just hang around for the lulz and to crush other people's unrealistic dreams, before they make a mistake.

lsb

Postby lsb » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:34 am

LawandOrder wrote:
bumblebeetoona wrote:Good for you! Feel free to keep posting here. LawAndOrder still does :P .

True story. The risk of not getting a 160k job was too great for me to go into $150k in debt. That and I realized I don't necessarily want to work 60-hour weeks for the rest of my life. I want to work to live, not live to work. Now I just hang around for the lulz and to crush other people's unrealistic dreams, before they make a mistake.

I thought it was more like 75 on average.

ToadGoDead

Postby ToadGoDead » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 pm

LawandOrder wrote:

and you have no life or friends. and im pretty sure your dog hates you.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:08 pm

ToadGoDead wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:

Well I have a cat, and she is indifferent to my existence provided she gets fed. I only post at work, so there's that. I am too busy having a life and hanging out with friends to post at other times!

ToadGoDead

Postby ToadGoDead » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:12 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:

Well I have a cat, and she is indifferent to my existence provided she gets fed. I only post at work, so there's that. I am too busy having a life and hanging out with friends to post at other times!

that is sad. you have an indifferent cat. so your cat hates you and only hangs around because you feed it?

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:36 pm

All cats are like this to my knowledge. They aren't loyal like dogs are. Cats do what they wanna do and can't be bothered to come when you call them unless they know they will get fed.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:38 pm

LawandOrder wrote:All cats are like this to my knowledge. They aren't loyal like dogs are. Cats do what they wanna do and can't be bothered to come when you call them unless they know they will get fed.

Kinda like your pointless posts

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:45 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:All cats are like this to my knowledge. They aren't loyal like dogs are. Cats do what they wanna do and can't be bothered to come when you call them unless they know they will get fed.

I guess?

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:46 pm

False. My cat comes to me whenever I call him. We do suspect he's actually a dog though...

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:54 pm

GATORTIM wrote:

........what? If this makes sense in your head it's not coming over as funny on the interwebz

azlawlady

Postby azlawlady » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:55 pm

iminlstrick wrote:

False. My cat comes to me whenever I call him. We do suspect he's actually a dog though...

My cat will do the same thing. He also plays fetch. Perhaps its a male cat thing?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:00 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:

........what? If this makes sense in your head it's not coming over as funny on the interwebz

Wasnt trying to be funny...L & O is not even interested in going to law school, yet comes to TLS to "feed" his psyche. You see L&O regrets his decision to not attend law school and comes to TLS to post his doom n' gloom rants as method of self-fulfillment that appeases his inner-regret.

I vow to preface my posts going forward as "intended to be funny", "serious", "observation", etc. in order to make your "interwebz" and TLS experience more satisfying.

This post was observationalist in nature

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:05 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:

Wasnt trying to be funny...L & O is not even interested in going to law school, yet comes to TLS to "feed" his psyche. You see L&O regrets his decision to not attend law school and comes to TLS to post his doom n' gloom rants as method of self-fulfillment that appeases his inner-regret.

I vow to preface my posts going forward as "intended to be funny", "serious", "observation", etc. in order to make your "interwebz" and TLS experience more satisfying.

Man, you are bitter about something involving him. I still don't see how "All cats are like this to my knowledge. They aren't loyal like dogs are. Cats do what they wanna do and can't be bothered to come when you call them unless they know they will get fed" somehow translates to said "doom n' gloom rants" and how his dogs>cats post is a "method of self-fulfillment that appeases his inner-regret" :lol: but whatever, if it makes sense to you than so be it.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:17 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:

If I regretted my decision to not attend law school, why wouldn't I just go ahead and apply now? It's not like my GPA has changed or my LSAT score. Nothing has changed.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:18 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:Man, you are bitter about something involving him. I still don't see how "All cats are like this to my knowledge. They aren't loyal like dogs are. Cats do what they wanna do and can't be bothered to come when you call them unless they know they will get fed" somehow translates to said "doom n' gloom rants" and how his dogs>cats post is a "method of self-fulfillment that appeases his inner-regret" :lol: but whatever, if it makes sense to you than so be it.

Observational: Not bitter, I was not stating that his post stood alone as a reflection of his existence on TLS. If you read the post-history and take in to consideration that this poster is not an attorney, applicant or student, it makes little sense that one would continue to be such an active poster on TLS (a site dedicated those with an interest in LS) with the motive to "just hang around for the lulz and to crush other people's unrealistic dreams, before they make a mistake."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”